Thread: Mac Pro /RAID/Bootcamp

Default Mac Pro /RAID/Bootcamp

I just got my shiny new Mac Pro (quad 2.66, ATI1900XT, 5 gig RAM, RAID 2x250), but it appears that Bootcamp does not like RAID. I just wont install through bootcamp.

I read through the apple forums, and Apple isnt saying much. Anyone have any experiences with a RAID and bootcamp ?

Mad Dog

Long time no see - nice new machine. Myself I can't help much (others can/will) and assume you've read this...
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Default Raid

You have to dig around to find anything from Apple wrt RAIDs on bootcamp.

I have conflicting reports about wether or not a third drive (not on a RAID) can be installed with XP using boot camp.

To make matters muddier, some people say you dont need boot camp at all - just boot from the XP disk. I do note that the XP CD shows up under startup disk control panel.

Mad Dog

Not being a fan of putting an OS on a RAID, I would say that if you had a single drive for your OS and a RAID for your data you would receive more benefits.

But that would be my bias speaking

Good to see you around MadDog
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Howdy

Its been a while. Things really quieted down when the store was unavailable a few years back.

Inever tried messing with multiple disks with data not on the boot drive. I take it you can move the users around and not get in trouble ?

Of course, I would need another drive to do this. My wife is already pissed at me about the $$$ I spent (and Im not done - I need Adobe CS3 and I lust after the Apple think aluminum keyboard).

thanks,

Mad Dog

<---how come that doesnt work anymore ? <---Changed to jollyrog
    Last edited by rwm; 10-08-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fix jollyrog

And don't forget that Bootcamp is beta, and will be released with 10.5 in (according to the current schedule) about 3 weeks.

Not suggesting you jump right into 10.5, but that the features and options may change then. Have to wait and see.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default care of windows

I am trying to be real careful considering its beta and deals with your boot partition. I think my next step is to find another SATA drive and see if I can install on that.

On the subject of RAIDs, it si a better idea to have the System on its own drive ? I suppose if I could get a 3rd (4th ?) drive and use that for data.

Can I copy all the files and folders (other than the system folder) over to the data drive and it will work fine ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Default bootcamp

Sorry it took so long. The solution was simple. I took out my RAID drives, added a fresh drive, and booted from the XP disk. Install. Shut down. Add back the RAID disks.

Done.

I can even use paralells to use the bootcamp drive.

Super-groovy.

Mad Dog

Red face Sorry didn't see this before

Apple Software RAIDs are not working for Bootcamp due to the fact that its Software running within OSX and Bootcamp can add driver but no RAID software.

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!