Thread: External Hard drives won't dismount

Default External Hard drives won't dismount

I have two external hard drives enclosures, a SATA and a firewire 400.
    When I want to dismount the drives before shutting down I get the message that I can't eject the disks because they are in use. Close applications and try again.

I've made sure no applications are open, restarted the computer, run Disk Warrior, repaired permissions and I still get this message. I got the drives to dismount once by turning them off while the computer was on but I don't want to do that again.

I've never had this problem before. What troubleshooting procedures do I need to do.

OS 10.4.10, Dual GH G4 Quicksilver.

Thanks in advance

John Blake

It isn't the drives/hardware. Something in your system is occupying the drives, has a file open. You might try Activity Monitor and a Terminal window running 'top' to see if you can figure out what might be running. Activity Monitor can even look at disk usage, which might help.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Do the drives have a sleep function? I had that problem with my Maxtor OneTouch. The stupid thing was set to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity, and once it went o sleep I couldn't wake it up or eject it. To top that off the included utility to change the settings wouldn't even see the drive. I finally found an updated copy of Maxtor's drive utility that would see the drive, but you still can't change the sleep setting with it. You have to use a PC for that. Luckily I have one, but what a PITA.

I have seen several applications that will cause this problem, even after the application has been killed. Don't know an easy graceful way around it.......I usually just reboot the box and pull the drive during the short dead spot between shut down and start up.

I know that is not much help, but you should know this in not unique to your machine.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

A SATA HD in an enclosure? What brand? Is it SATA to SATA or SATA via FW400? I've seen enclosures that have SATA to FW400 but none supported for a MAC. There maybe more information needed about your connections.

John,

No need to dismount those drives before computer shutdown. Just leave them on until the shutdown is totally complete, then shutdown those SATA or FW cases. I do that all the time.

yeungfeng,

Gurus Store sells FW cases for SATA drives.
    http://macgurus.com/productpages/fir...FirewireHS.php
    I have one for the wife's iBook G4 running as FW400 and a backup boot drive. Even at FW400 very fast and I did test it at FW800 with my G5, also very fast. k

I very rarely actually mount/unmount and when I do it's with Disk Utility. I power my computer off nightly but my external case runs 24/7 the FW Drives mount on startup.

yeungfeng,

I am running 2 SATA drives both in an external case similar to a Burley. A new 500GB Seagate and a 2 year old SATA Seagate 120GB. All FW400 using a Quicksilver, Digital Audio and older "G4 Yikes". Before that connected to an ATA IBM FW400 external case. - Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 10-08-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Okay I stand, er sit, corrected.

I guess I actually knew that at one time and had someone get one. I have also seen enclosures that were not Mac compatable, just wondered if John's was one of "those". Guess I didn't read the post very well either, looks like the drive have been in use, prior, and now are not dismounting.

I'll sit a little longer, where's my dunces cap.

We all do that, no doubt me more than anyone else here. Forget it and press on, easy for me with my memory. k

Default Thanks for all your responses

Both drive enclosures are made by granite Digital. They have worked flawlessly for several years.

I talked to Ken Toussant, tech support at GD. He wasn't familiar with the problem of not being able to eject the drives because of the message I was getting. Ken suggested I do what Faye stated and turn the drives off AFTER I shut down the computer so that's what I'll do.

Ken agreed with Ricks that it isn't a hardware problem.

It's extremely puzzling to me that all of a sudden I can't eject the disks.
    John

Maybe... SpotLight

As long as Spotlight uses the drives in background (indexing the drives data) there is a chance you can't unmount it.

Just a suggestion.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Nicholas

Thanks for your reply. Spotlight was not indexing the hard drive.

John