Thread: G4 Dual1g MDD startup woes

Default G4 Dual1g MDD startup woes

My machine will not start, chime, or send video sig … after 15-20sec all fans
    seem to toggle to maximum speed.
    I removed both installed drives and placed in ext. enclosure and both function properly FW'd to my powerbook… IOW , it's not my drives
    I pulled 3 of 4 ram sticks and machine starts with (1) 256mb stick
    additionally, I installed (4) 512mb sticks and no start… remove 3 of 4 and it starts. Local tech's diagnosis is either the processor or the logic board but couldn't give conclusive diagnosis as he didn't have old enough parts laying around to swap out.

A) Anyone experience this ? … and does it sound like a processor or logic board problem

B) Isn't there another method of diagnosis besides swapping out parts ?
    If the car companies can do a diagnostic via Onstar satellite, isn't there some other way to diagnose an ailing desktop ?
    I look forward to any comments/insght anybody has
    Many TIA - Schweats

You are saying it runs when you remove some of the RAM? If so that sounds like a RAM problem. Maybe I am reading that wrong.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Question

Same question. When you pull the RAM things run fine? If so sounds like bad RAM or RAM slot.

Thanks for your replies…

to be clear… the machine came with 256mb and I added (3) 256mb sticks.
    Overnight the machine doesn't work. I pull the 3 sticks I added and it fires up fine. Additionally, I buy (4) new 512mb sticks , install all 4 and the machine will not start. I remove 3 of the 4 brand new sticks and the machine starts.
    Also, it doesn't matter what slot either the 256mb or the 512mb stick is installed, the mcahine will only start with 1 stick of ram.

I look forward to any replies…

TIA - Schweats

Most likely just a RAM problem. And the only way I know to test that is with the swap in and out methods.

It is possible that a motherboard, centered on the the memory controller, has a problem. Unlikely though as it would most likely not start up with the original 256.

Have you tried the available resets:

1)Open Firmware reset

2)SMU reset before swapping in the RAM.

3)Adding just one module and leaving the 256 in place? Make sure the working 256 is in the lowest numbered RAM slot, this puts the OS on the 256. Use Rember to test the RAM.

MacGurus' recommends and sells PC3200 for your model G4 which runs at PC2700 speeds on your memory bus. What memory were you trying? Do you know the specs for that memory?

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin