Thread: Can you mix DIMM sizes in a MAC?

Default Can you mix DIMM sizes in a MAC?

Right now I have a 2 X 2 core MacPro and have an 8-core monster on the way.

I have 6 1GB DIMMS in my current machine. I got the 8-core pretty much bare bones so I can add on without paying the Apple premium.

If I order 2GB (or 4GB now ) DIMMS in pairs, can I still use the 1GB DIMMS in pairs in the remaining slots provided speed and such match?

Thanks
    Jim

P.S. Anyone know if MacGurus has plans for 4GB DIMMS for the MacPro? Pretty please?

Thanks
    Jim

Hello,

different RAM sizes are ok but, the specs (CAS, Speed etc) must be the same.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thanks.

I'll have to ask about the 4 GB modules and when, or if, they'll come available at a price anyone can live with. Unless there are a lot of buyers the cost will stay high - - sky high. The manufacturers make money by making these in the tens of thousands at a low margin or less quantity at a much higher margin.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I'll have to ask about the 4 GB modules and when, or if, they'll come available at a price anyone can live with. Unless there are a lot of buyers the cost will stay high - - sky high. The manufacturers make money by making these in the tens of thousands at a low margin or less quantity at a much higher margin.

Rick
    Yeah, I think the best I've seen is about $2300 for 4 of the 4GB DIMMS. Still, it's about a quarter of the Apple price for 16GB in 2GB chunks.