Thread: Mac IIsi Shuts Itself Off and Won't Re-Start

Confused Mac IIsi Shuts Itself Off and Won't Re-Start

I have a 1992 vintage Mac IIsi. I've never had a problem with it. I now only use it occasionally for some Excel spreadsheets. I hadn't started it up for about four months, and then when I did a week ago, after running for a few minutes, it shut itself down. When I push the start button or the reset button in the back, the light comes on for a fraction of a second, and then it trips off. When I wait awhile, maybe an hour or more (I haven't done this enough to figure out exactly how long I have to wait), it will start back up normally. But then in a few minutes, it shuts itself off again, won't re-start, and we're back to where we were a couple sentences ago.

I opened it up and it's clean as a whistle inside. (Amazing for a 15-yr old computer that's never been opened up.) When it does run, it sounds normal to me, which makes me think it's not a fan problem causing it to overheat, but I'm not completely sure about this. Nothing feels particularly warm to me when it shuts itself down.

Has anyone seen and dealt with this before? Any suggestions to offer? I don't want to give up on it and junk it if it's something easy to fix. I like this old computer, and it's served me well. Thanks.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Never been opened up?!?!?!

You need a motherboard battery, STAT!
    Damien,

Thumbs up

Agreed definite first step most likely will fix it.

Thumbs up

Bravo Damien, nice call.

Default Thanks

Thanks folks. I knew there were people out there lots smarter than I. That's what I'll try. Hopefully motherboard batteries are still readily available for a computer this old.

Radio Shack sells them if you have a Radio SHack around.

The battery is a 'half AA 3.3 volt lithium' battery and Apple has been using them for years. My G5 Dual 1.8 uses the same battery
    Damien,

Smile Thanks, Damien.

We have a Radio Shack nearby.

Leigh

Confused Changing Battery Didn't Fix it

I changed the motherboard battery as was suggested. (Turned out to be a 3.6 volt 1/2 AA, rather than a 3.3 volt, but no big deal. I got it at Radio Shack, who didn't think they carried Mac motherboard batteries, so you need to just ask for the specific battery.) I fired it up and thought the world was good, but after working for about 10 to 15 minutes, it shut itself down and won't re-start. This is what it was doing before changing the battery, or maybe it took a little longer to shut down, but I don't think the time before shutdown is too relevant.

So, any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks.

Leigh

Can you check the new and old battery - volt meter - Radio Shack? Maybe yours is eating batteries. vBad on/off switch. Hows it feel?

Perhaps the PSU has issues. Wouldn't surprise me on a machine that old.

I plugged in an old 8500 a while back that had been in storage for a few years, and before I could even hit the power button the PSU went up in smoke.

If you determine that it is for sure a PSU I have some spares if you will pay shipping you can have one... but you probably don't want to spend any more $ unless your SURE it will fix the issue. Mac II is getting pretty old
    Damien,