Thread: Sata Advice for PC?

Default Sata Advice for PC?

I'm trying to get some advice and information and this forum seems to have it all. I have a new Dell XPS 410 Vista Home Premium system which came with a 320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM). It has 3 extra Sata type L ports on the MB. I want to put the WD inside and use for storage. The Samsung in an enclosure for back ups.

I'm confused with all the standards etc. Sata, Sata II, eSata, Type I, Type L, R angle, L angle.

1)Will any cable run up to the 3.0gb/s?
    2)I want to put a dual Sata PCI bracket in one of my slots and wire it to the MB. Which type bracket is faster?
    3)Does the connection type make a difference. Everhthing I have now is type L. Are the type I for eSata better.
    4)What enclosure is best for 1-2 HD's?

I have quite a bit of Digital music and photos and some home made movies that I back up frequently.

TIA,
    Any advice or links would be appreciated.

Jeff

I have***(Both type L)
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Howdy and welcome aboard.

This thread should answer most of your questions about SATAI vs. SATAII.

e
    SATA is a different plug/cable spec for external connections. Preferred for external boxes. Before it came along, folks were routing internal "L" plugs to external boxes, which was a bad idea. Go eSATA for your external box. Not slower (or faster) than other SATA plugs/cables, just a more robust connection. Disconnecting data cables on running drives is a bad thing on every platform.

The angled plugs are just for tight fits (in some Mac towers, for instance), and as far as I know cables don't affect speed - generally - with SATA, unless you push the spec limit on length.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

To add one small piece, e is for shielded cables, too.

the best enclosure is one that isn't too loud, but you want to have decent built in fan and PSU and able to keep drives cool.

Some 2-channel cards are PCIe 1x and not ideal for RAID (PCI-X 2-channel is probably fine) and you want PCIe 4x or even 8x for RAID or when using Port Multiplier.

There is an FAQ on the PCI "Host Cards" page on differences between PCI interfaces and cards.

I would also plan for more than one backup for each data drive while configuring your setup..

Default Hello Jeff,

All of our SATA cables will support SATAII specs (3 Gb/s). We offer internal Type-A ("L" shaped) with either 90 or 270 degree ends if you need to clear something on the back of the drive. If you go to the bottom of the SATA cables page you'll find PCI brackets that will accept chassis mount cables which have an eSATA (external SATA) connection on the bracket side and a Type-A connection to attach to your motherboard. These cables are available in different lengths. Check where the ports are on your motherboard but I'll bet that a 12 or 18" cable would work well.

Check out the SATA Hot Swap and Direct Connect Enclosure kits available below. They offer excellent drive cooling and an internal power supply. Just spec it with eSATA cables and you'll be all set.

http://www.macgurus.com/productpages...apsatakits.php
    http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/satakits.php

Incidentally, we just opened a sister store to MacGurus called Burly Storage that caters to the PC user. It will have a wider selection covering all platforms with the same great service that MacGurus supplies. Check it out at http://www.burlystorage.com

Question Thanks Brain...

OK I think this is what I need. All of which I can get here.

1) One Sata Cable 90 Degree 50cm (19.5) to connect my spare internal SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HD to the MB.

2) A 2 Drive SATA HotSwap Kit to hold 2 spare drives for backup. With eSata option cables. I assume my Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s will fit in the kit?

3) A 12 in. Dual eSATA Cable with PCI Bracket to connect to MB and plug in 2 drive kit.

? Can you run just 1 drive in the kit and add the second drive at a later date?

Jeff

? Can you run just 1 drive in the kit and add the second drive at a later date?
    Yes you can.