Thread: Enabling Disabling Automatic Login?

Default Enabling Disabling Automatic Login?

Hi there,

I recently went on vacation, and so I disabled automatic login, given that there were going to be a couple of people I didn't know too well in and out of our flat while we were away. When I got home, I tried to re-enable automatic login, but it doesn't happen: every time I boot, I am challenged for my password.

I've repaired permissions, upgraded to 10.4.10, but no luck. If anyone can help me solve this I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Glenn

Lightbulb

You haven't got David Pogue's "Missing Manual" but how about poking around in the place where you turned auto login off?

Hint: It has nothing to do with permissions.

System Preferences - Accounts

Click 'Login Option' (under the Accounts listed in the pane on the left)

Authenticate (Admin name + password) if needed.

Check the first item 'Automatically log in as' and select the account you want.

Enter the password as instructed.

Exit.

--------
    If that doesn't take then try loggin in with an Adminstrator's account to set it up.

If using Admin account doesn't work, then you could try trashing the preference file where the setting is stored:
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
    Might lose some other login window preferences, like displaying names of users or having only blank fields for username and password.

Thanks, that did it!

I dunno if I would've figured that out in a hurry, because I didn't modify anything in that Pref when I disabled the auto-login.

Cheers!

Glenn