Thread: Leopard hardware requirement: G4/867

Lightbulb Leopard hardware requirement: G4/867

Updated Leopard requirements to exclude 800MHz systems

Apple has yet to officially announce the hardware requirements to run Leopard, due out in October, but had long stated in developer documentation that the software would require "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (800MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Engineers determined that Leopard installs on 800MHz PowerPC G4 systems ran "too slow." Support for those systems was subsequently pulled from the most recent pre-release copies of Leopard, which inform testers that the software "cannot be installed" on those computers.

Instead, Leopard will now require Macs with "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Other system requirements include a DVD drive, built-in FireWire, at least 512MB of RAM (additional recommended), and at least 9GB of hard disk space.

The 67MHz increase will exclude the 800MHz PowerBook G4 (Titanium), 800MHz PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver), 800MHz iMac G4, 800MHz iBook G4, and 800MHz eMac.

Mac OS X 10.6 could exclude support for PowerPC-based Macs entirely, requiring that users have one of the company's Intel-based systems which first began making their way to market in early 2006.

Finally some word on Leopard requirements. Thanks TZ.

I'm sure I'm not alone about wondering if upgraded Macs will be able to run Leopard.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    I'm sure I'm not alone about wondering if upgraded Macs will be able to run Leopard.
    They're running the Builds Apple has been seeding to developers. A little birdie told me so.

I, of course, have no idea who this birdie is. Nor am I said birdie. Nope. No siree.
    Power Mac G4 'Digital Audio' - 1.53GHz PowerPC 7455B / 1.5GBs of RAM / 2x 400GB on ATA-133 / 16x DL DVD-R / GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

Dual 1.42GHz MDD - Rest In Peace, old friend. An exploding PSU took you before your time...

Just wondering, why are we dredging up old junk? This stuff doesn't even qualify as interesting any longer.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Old? 10 days?
    Power Mac G4 'Digital Audio' - 1.53GHz PowerPC 7455B / 1.5GBs of RAM / 2x 400GB on ATA-133 / 16x DL DVD-R / GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

Dual 1.42GHz MDD - Rest In Peace, old friend. An exploding PSU took you before your time...

Question Curious. What would happen if...

If you installed Leopard 10.5 on a hard drive in a 867MHz machine and then put that drive with Leopard into say a Dual 800 would it boot? run? or it just not do anything. Curious. - Randy

Saw a blurb the other day where a guy did that. Cloned an install of 10.5 (beta) over to a couple machines below the spec, and they booted and ran fine. If this is true, it looks like Apple is validating the hardware with the 10.5 installer, not within the boot sequence or anything like that.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin