Thread: eMac?

Default eMac?

Ok someone without any computer, wants to start using a Mac. Has used a PC prior to this. Is thinking about a intro model, doesn't want to spend very much. Won't be doing any heavy processor work. Mostly internet, word processing, email, and maybe some iphoto stuff.

Really wanted a Laptop, but the cost, was a big factor. I suggest this:
    Apple eMac 1.42 GHz 2GB RAM 160GB DVD±RW AirPort
    My thought was that it's still supported by Apple, has enough RAM for Tiger, and though dated it's not out of date, yet. Plus the $400 price tag was easy access into the Mac world.

I checked the Apple web site and this model was NOT part of the recall. Any feedback on this idea?

Thanks!

Lightbulb

Intel Mac Mini.

Powerful. Can run Windows if they want. Dual-core is nice. If they wait a month BootCamp will no longer be an "add on beta" and will come with:

Leopard plus iLife and iWork demo etc.

Look in Apple Store Specials (Friday evening seems to be when they "update" or have the most models and selection, maybe even Monday 6 AM EST).

Good idea, just one problem, there is no monitor, mouse, or keyboard and these are needed. Adding the price of those I start thinking about a new iMac, but that gets back to the price problem. That's why the 1.42 eMac seemed like a good starter.

If a new unit were a possible, then waiting for 10.5 would be a must.

Lightbulb

You can find good 20" LCDs for $300 easily.

You've probably heard the phras, "penny wise and pound foolish"?

People want a free lunch, too ;-)