Thread: Connecting Seagate Freeagent w/ eSata to Powermac G5

Default Connecting Seagate Freeagent w/ eSata to Powermac G5

I just bought a

Seagate 750GB Freeagent External HD, w/USB, Firewire, and most importantly eSata connections. (Model # ST307504FPA1E3-RK)

I wanted to get it going immediately, and living in NYC I also bought the only PCI-X card I could find from Tekserve, a

Lacie Sata II 3Gb/s PCI-X Card 4E

I installed the card and driver on my Powermac G5 Dual 2.0, (10.4.10), and although System Profiler recognizes the card on the PCI bus, it will not recognize the drive through the Esata connection. I tried all four of the ports, and nothing. Disk utility shows nothing there.

The G5 does recognize the drive through the USB 2.0 connection.

I don't know whether this card is compatible or not, and I can't find any information on what would be online.

Does anyone know how I can get the eSata to work?

Much obliged.

Don't know that card myself. likely a rebranded something.......

Is this it?

http://www.lacie.com/us//support/sup...t.htm?id=10214

Outside of downloading the drivers (that look like have not been updated since Jan 07), you could try a different PCIX slot, every SATA port on both the card and the drive, and a different SATA cable if you have one.

Be sure the data cable is plugged in and the drive is powered up before you boot the G5.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It is the same card except the one pictured is a 2E, mine is a 4E.
    Four ports, instead of two.

I could try a different slot, but then why does system profiler see the card?
    I have tried all four of the Sata ports on the card, and there is only one on the drive.

I have tried rebooting too, with the drive powered up, and plugged in, from the get go, as per the instruction manual.

The only thing I'm wondering is that the card may not be compatible.
    What I question is a couple of things.
    1. The name: "Lacie Sata II 3Gb/s PCI-X Card 4E" Is Sata the same as eSata? and what does the II(2) mean?
    2. Do any of these cards need to have all four ports plugged in, and in use, Raid style, for it to work?

I will call Lacie tomorrow, and Seagate too, but i was still hoping to get it up tonight, as there is a lot of transferring I could do while I sleep!

"e" is a reference to external, as SATA started as a internal only protcol, and the connector/port for dedicated external use was added later with the eSATA name.

SATA II (2) has higher theoretical throughput, but AFAIK is backwards compatible.

So neither of these specs should be an issue.

Trying different ports, slots, and cables is just good troubleshooting. Never hurts to rule stuff out. Sounds like a call is in order......sounds like you have done about everything you could. Let us know what the verdict is.

Light reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

most 3rd party cards do need an extension to be installed in order to work.

and G5, whenever installing or changing PCI controllers, you should reset nvram so that the device tree is properly updated.

Most of the eSATA + USB cases use some kind of bridge. If it was ours or popular Mac compatible it would have an Oxford 924 bridge.

If you want to use 750GB drive, buy a drive and buy your own case. Or get a eSATA only case. Or eSATA plus FireWire800/400.

Maybe you can find out what the firmware on the case's bridge is. Trouble there is that Seagate would only have PC software to update firmware most likely.

I tried resetting both pram and nvram, and the drive is still not visible when plugged in through eSata.

The reason why I asked about compatibility, (regarding eSata/Sata/SataII), is at bhphoto website, they have various different cable offerings: eSata to sata; eSata to Sata I; eSata to eSata. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...13274&ci=13103)

I figured that although I didn't see one there, that perhaps I might need an eSata to Sata II cable. Thanks for pointing out that Sata vs Sata II is just a speed difference, (I guess like USB 1.0 & 2.0), and should be backwards compatible.

Just spoke with Lacie customer support.
    He had me install the latest driver from their site, (as opposed to the one on the disc that came with the card), and Voila!
    After rebooting, the Seagate appeared on the desktop.
    So i am good to go!
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Sincerely
    Richard

Lightbulb

CDs have become worthless.
    They never have current drivers.

The best and sometimes only real way to get a G5 to clean nvram is from Open Firmware.

So now it is up and running and solved!