Thread: HD Dead? Suggested Replacement??

Default HD Dead? Suggested Replacement??

There is a dreaded "clicking" noise when I attempt to boot up a FW800 Powerbook.

Can I assume that this might be the kiss of death for my HD? The only thing that appears on screen is the Apple logo against a gray screen.

I have access to expert repair techs so my ? is how big big and how fast an HD can I replace the potentially dead one with? The original HD was an 80 GB and it filled up pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Chris

You can install any drive capacity in the FW800 Powerbook. You can also install a 7200 RPM ATA drive if you like, to replace the slower 4200 or 5400 drive that came in it. A 7200 RPM drive will run a little hotter and use a little more power. They work great though are a step up in performance.

Your drive may not be dead, it may be scrambled. Make sure you boot to an installer CD and see if you can see it, repair it or whatever.

If you need a drive, there are none better than these: Momentus

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

As for big Endgadget says Fujitsu has a 300 gig laptop drive but it runs at 4200 rpm. might be a little slow compared to some. Lots of space though.

Don't know much about Fujitsu though

Were I buying I think the Seagate 7200rpm 100gig would be the choice for me.

Dang Rick, beat me by 1 minute
    Damien,

Default Thanks!

Once I find my credit card I will be placing an order with you for the 160 GB drive. I like the idea of greater speed but need more room.

Now for the really ugly part of this entire experience ..... my original drive seems to be DOA, if in fact this is the case ...... any suggestions for data recovery?

Please, I feel bad enough already to be reminded about back up and such. I do have a zipped archive but it is from a year ago. At least this might save/restore some older documents.

As always, thanks in advance for all the excellent advice gathered/shared from this site!!!!!

Chris

Default By the Way?

Even though the Powerbook FW 800 came with an ATA drive is this the design I need to stay with? I did not scroll down far enough to see the faster, larger SATA drives.

Thanks for clearing this up before I buy a replacement drive.

Chris

Lightbulb

Disk Warrior and SuperDuper along with Data Rescue II will help, and DRII can be demoed to verify if it can find files.

Clicking can be just bad sectors or damaged directory.
    Laptops have shorter drive life.

You might be able to put it in a FireWire 2.5" case and get at it.

There is some chance that cooling the drive down will allow recovery of data.

Allow for more storage and don't use more than 50-60%, and my rule is a minimum two backup sets. Keep what you need on the internal drive and if possible keep data on external drive maybe.

Fujitsu Joins the 200+ GB Club
    Posted July 24th, 2007 by eugene

FCPA's entry into the high-capacity 2.5" SATA arena emphasizes its nterprise-readiness with a design intended for 24x7 operation and compensation for the vibration often found in multi-drive setups. storage capacities up to 200GB, with a 5400RPM spindle

Quote Originally Posted by digipix View Post
    Even though the Powerbook FW 800 came with an ATA drive is this the design I need to stay with? I did not scroll down far enough to see the faster, larger SATA drives.

Thanks for clearing this up before I buy a replacement drive.

Chris
    Difference between ATA and SATA are bus type. SATA drives cannot be used in ATA bus.

You will need to get a ATA drive for it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by digipix View Post
    Now for the really ugly part of this entire experience ..... my original drive seems to be DOA, if in fact this is the case ...... any suggestions for data recovery?

Please, I feel bad enough already to be reminded about back up and such. I do have a zipped archive but it is from a year ago. At least this might save/restore some older documents.
    Chris
    Defining DOA is the only way we can answer this. First thing, if you decide to try some things to recover it, you must be ready to pull the data and put it on another drive. Does no good to get the drive temporarily running and not have it hooked somewhere to something that can store it.

When you swap out the old drive you might consider putting it in a small Firewire case so you can access it and try and recover the data on it. Something like this mini enclosure.

Determining what is happening with the drive will help us to figure out a response. Is it spinning is the first question. If it ain't spinning you can't get the data off it.

One trick we have for drives that are not spinning is to freeze them. Stick the drive, in its enclosure, inside a antistatic bag and drop it in the freezer for an hour. Pull it out and hook up. See if it spins up and shows up. It may stay running only long enough to get some of the data off, so having a plan on what you are going to copy with and where the data is going is essential. If it doesn't spin give the case a sharp rap with the heal of your hand to see if you can give enough of a jolt to get going.

Last one I did would stay up just long enough to copy about 1/3 of the data on it. We were freezing the whole powerbook We were backing up to a attached 3.5 inch Firewire disk. By using a backup utility we were able to start the copy where we left off each time. The utility checks for things that are different and starts adding them to the backup drive. Keeps doing that until both drives are the same. Worked like a charm. (SyncronizeProX, DejaVu, Chronosync,Backup apps like that)

If your drive is spinning and still not visible, then we have to begin other types of recovery methods. This is much harder and potentially beyond our financial capabilities.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Next Step??

I have successfully installed the HD I received from you today. Went thru and installed OS 10.3 and then 10.4 and now all I have is a blue screen shining on me when I restart. I made certain to select the correct HD for start up. Machine worked OK with 10.3 and auto updated to 10.3.9. Do I need to go back to 10.3.9?

The drive I removed is in an exterior case from you as well. After at least an hour's freezing it is not willing to mount, ran Disk Utility and it chatters away with no mounting at all.

I realize that this is a second issue but it all relates back to my original post.

Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestions.

Chris

OK, if it worked fine with 10.3, then it is not a hardware issue. Could be that the OS got borked during the 10.3 to 10.4 update. It is always nice to do a clean install if possible.

Before you run out and buy a full retail DVD of 10.4, you should consider that 10.5 is due about November, and will be worth the wait. Trust me. So, til then, you can either go back to 10.3.9, which is workable, or try to fix your 10.4 update.

How about restarting to your 10.4 update disk, and running Disk Utility to see what you can see?

If you have another Mac and a firewire cable, you can download and install a combination updater for 10.4 (like 10.4.9) to your non-booting 'book, which can sometimes revive an OS.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin