Thread: Powerbook Wallstreet modified firmware

Default Powerbook Wallstreet modified firmware

hi
    I recently came into possesion of a Sonnet 500MHZ CPU upgrade for a Powerbook Wallstreet. It seems that the way the installation of this device works is to copy the ROM from the old CPU module with a Sonnet utility, then change the CPU and transfer the ROM to the upgrade. When I learned this I wondered whether this procedure could be modified to use the "New World ROM" from a Pismo say instead of the normal Wallstreet "Old World ROM" I have never been able to find a good source of detailed info about Apples firmware and so would appreciate any suggestions. I know the computer is obsolete but I like it anyway
    thanks

Is that the G4/500 CPU upgrade or G3 ?
    A G4/500 in a Wallstreet would be awesome.
    Stewie

Many CPU upgrades require a firmware patch.

Perhaps you should start here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie D View Post
    Is that the G4/500 CPU upgrade or G3 ?
    A G4/500 in a Wallstreet would be awesome.
    Stewie
    It's a g3 though G4s are/were available.

Exclamation

Yep, I love upgrading old machines also,
    but a Wallstreet is still so limited.
    no native USB or Firewire.slow memory & system buss
    very limited OSX support...
    depends on how you want or need to use it.
    I have a Wallstreet USB PCMIA expansion port module if you need one.
    Also lots of 3400c parts.
    Currently fussing with several Pismos.
    These were all cool machines in there time but tough to make functional today.
    You should see my closet with 8600's 9600's and a few 333 Imacs...
    Best regards,
    Dave
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Many CPU upgrades require a firmware patch.

Perhaps you should start here.
    thanks for the link. I have either seen this site before or similar ones. Such sites seem remarkably detailed and yet seem to lack any kind of overview which would pull it all together for me, - especially any info specific to Apple. I fear it might take me a very very long time to arrive at any answer to my question in this manner. I was kind of hoping that maybe someone with inside info could tell me that it could not be done and I could put the possibility out of my mind.
    I acquired this item already installed and functioning in an original Wallstreet. After playing around with a Wallstreet-rev2 (PDQ) I learned that the video performance of the upgraded RageLT Pro video chip in the PDQ was noticibly superior to that of the original. So I decided to switch the Sonnet module to this new machine. Then I discovered a problem; there must be some incompatibility between the ROMs of the original Wallstreet and the logic board or upgraded video chip of the PDQ. The result was the same for both a Wallstreet 250MHZ CPU module and the Sonnet upgrade: the machine would start up OK but no video. After contacting Sonnet I learned of the procedure where the Sonnet module is loaded with a copy of the target machine's ROM during the initial installation.
    So I have recently sent the Sonnet g3 upgrade back to Sonnet to be restored to its original state. Then I realized: would it not be far superior if instead of the so called 'buggy' and incomplete Wallstreet 2.0.1 Open Firmware implementation, I could load the improved 3.x Open Firmware of the Pismo? Would this allow me to install OS X Panther or Tiger without using X-PostFacto? Would I be able to install NetBSD avoiding all the usual trouble associated with the "Old World Rom" machines?
    I don't know the answers to these questions but once I 'imprint' the Sonnet module with the PDQ Open Firmware the possibility will be lost unless I send it back again to Sonnet. I doubt I have the resources to solve this by myself so if some long lost designer of the Wallstreet could tell me "no it can't be done" then I can move on peacefully to using my old but highly prized machine. Otherwise, there will always be that possibility......

Quote Originally Posted by Macaholic View Post
    Yep, I love upgrading old machines also,
    but a Wallstreet is still so limited.
    no native USB or Firewire.slow memory & system buss
    very limited OSX support...
    depends on how you want or need to use it.
    I have a Wallstreet USB PCMIA expansion port module if you need one.
    Also lots of 3400c parts.
    Currently fussing with several Pismos.
    These were all cool machines in there time but tough to make functional today.
    You should see my closet with 8600's 9600's and a few 333 Imacs...
    Best regards,
    Dave
    Yes it has its problems but you know I think both the sound and the keyboard are superior to the Pismo - I was surprised when I actually compared the two. I could not afford any of these machines when they first appeared having squandered my money on a very disappointing 5300 back in 1995 so they have a certain sentimental value. I also have a Kanga and a 2400C but I find them both rather limited due to the small 800x600 screen. I do like the keyboard on the 2400C and it was pleasing to recently boot it from a Sandisk 2GB Extreme III CF card in one of its PCMCIA slots. I have MachTen Unix from Tenon Intersystems installed as well so it is still a bit of fun.

best regards, - Larry

Thumbs up

Hello Larry,
    as long as you are enjoying the experience have fun.
    I am in a the same boat.
    I can't afford the latest and greatest.
    just trying to learn and upgrade as available to me.
    Some great people I hope you meet here alog the way.
    My Best,
    dave

Default Pdq

My guess is (you probably already figured this out) that the older ROMs on the rev 1 CPU (250 MHz) dont "understand" the newer video chip in the rev 2 motherboard. I tried once to cross solder the ROMs but I think I botched the job.

Mad Dog

Macaholic , do you by chance have a working keyboard for a 3400 in your parts bin ?
    I had a mint one given to me but the only thing defective on it is the keyboard.
    Stewie

Hey Stewie,
    I'm very sure I do.
    Feel free to email me
    Dave