Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MDD Options

Default MDD Options

Hi Gurus, This is always going to be my Capistrano, the forum I return to when I am ready to hack my Mac again. I feel the need .. soon now.

Topic of this post is potential upgrades to my MDD. I am finally off the road and it is time to get my old machine up to speed again. Of course I could go new but I think that there should be enough life in the MDD yet, if I get the results I am hoping to get in this thread and ensuing discussions. BEsides, I am really excited that there is a hack finally for my mac. I really liked all the overclocking I used to do on my old 9600.

My purpose of this post is to gather the data that I will need to make a decision before I get started with this project.

I just read an article where folks are now showing how to take a 133 bus MDD, remove a resistor and make it work as a 167 bus. It will need 2700+ ram also but with all of this I can look for a 1.42 DP upgrade on ebay. Has anyone got one here on the forums you can sell? I have only looked for two days but haven't seen one on ebay yet. Not sure what they go for or how rare they are but now at least I can see a reasonable path to upgrading the old MDD.

So, I plan to hack the bus speed on the MDD. Given this, I want to understand what else can and can not be done on this MDD.

It is now stock, a 1 Ghz SP MDD @ 133.

It has four ram slots. Does anyone know what it's total ram limit is? Four 512s, four 1 gigs? Most machines have memory limits so I am not assuming that just because there are four slots, assuming there are 1 Gig chips for that size slot, that the machine would actually see all 4 gigs. The bus clocking article says the memory has to be over 2700 and my sticks are 2100 so that will have to go.

Are there better and average cards that will allow me to change the internal disk slots to SATA from ATA? I have not researched this idea at all but as a photographer (The main use is photo editing and cataloging) I naturally want to speed disk access time.

Or, I am open to other suggestions that perhaps I should get a JBOD array or some such externally and just get the card to use SATA for the external arrays.

I believe there are lots of video card options but I have not done good research yet as to what are the top, middle, or bottom card choices. I have no good monitor yet so I will expect to get a good digital or a good used 21" crt eventually. Again, photo editing is the main task. The machine came with a 64 ram Nvdea, I forget the model.

I think that is it. If you are aware of any gotchas I would love to hear them here. And if anyone knows where I can find out more about this I would appreciate it. I remember there was an old (closed) MDD thread from one of the gurus. But I believe that thread was quite old last time I looked at it. There is probably newer information out there by now. I know I have not seen the over clock article before now for the bus on that machine.

I would love to see what Apple rolls out with the new iMacs when they come out. Even a current iMac, soon to be replaced would probably do quite well for me. But I am guessing about 1200 to 1400 for a 20" imac, vs $300-$450 processor upgrade (less would be best), $120 for current memory cost for four 512 sticks, Sata card (unknown cost) and Vid card (unknown cost).

I am guessing that even with new drives this should be under $1000. Less if I do it in stages, more if I count the monitor and the added SATA drives but, I am comparing this with the new machines.

Looking for specific data for this machine, cards that should work, don't work, are problematic, and may or may not work for me, memory limitations and other suggestions on what I am saying here.

Thanks gurus.

lb

Max RAM, 2GB. If you install more it will only index 2 GB.

Best bootable SATA host card made is the Siig(Acard)

Sorry we don't carry them, Siig plays games with pricing for resellers, not worth the trouble. The card works well though.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

OK, thanks. Guess it will be two 512s or four 256's then.

That SATA ACard, no where am I seeing a port description of any angle to view but dead form the side. So I can't tell how many drives it supports (four I believe as it is four channel). But I can't tell if all four would be internal, or two ports are on the external part of the card, two are internal, or all four are external, etc.

Wondering if this is going to lead me to purchase four SATA drives for inside the case of if a JBOD array would be better. The MDD holds four internal drives so it has some spaces and some power connecters right from the start. Unless you are going to tell me that the power connecters that are for the ATA drives wont work for the SATA drives?

I guess that leaves finding that 1.42 somewhere hopefully, and researching video cards for this machine.

After all this time since I have loooked at graphics cards I really hope that someone has figured out a good card at a PC price with the smarts to flash the bios? I remember almost doing that wint an older card, never got aroiund to doing it.

Currently I see two choices: (Provantage.com)
    Radeon 9600 Pro PC & Macintosh RoHS 256MB AGP $179.63
    Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 256MB Macintosh Edition RoHS $237.78

I dont see anything mentioned by Nvidea. Any takers on opinions on the graphics cards?

Thanks.
    Last edited by levelbest; 08-01-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added Graphics card data.

My GigaMDD has 2GB RAM (2x 1GB) courtesy of the Gurus Store:
    http://macgurus.com/productpages/ram/mgram.php and scroll down the page.

I have the Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 256MB ME and am very pleased with it. The SIIG 4-port card, all the ports are internal. You can see 2 on the top of the card and 2 on the side opposite the bracket.

For me, the hardest part of installing SATA drives in the MDD is the ATA66 drive cage. No problem with the ATA100 cage, sufficient room under the cage for the data and Molex power cables. Back to the ATA66 cage, the drives fit in this cage upside down, unless you modify the cage. What you have to be careful about is that the power and data cables don't impinge on that large wrapped cable that crosses over the door hinge in the same vicinity. Forcing the door closed could break something, the Molex or the data cable plug.

Just some things to consider. k

You don't have to run all four internal drives as SATA. That card is pretty nice though, have on in our Quicksilver here. Works with every hard drive we have tried and boots to them flawlessly.

It may be easier to attach the lower ATA66 bay drives if you use angled SATA power connectors and angled SATA connector as well. THis makes by far the least amount of space needed for connectors. I don't have a MDD so I can't tell you which ones I would choose.... we'll figure it out though. Probably 270 degree, since the drives are upside down that would face the cabling down.... would that be best? We also have 90 degree, with the drives upside down that would face the cabling angled upwards.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks. So lets see, things are falling into place. Current ram cost is

(2) 1 GB PC3200/400 DDR DIMM GURUS [$92.00, $92 x 2] = $184

Either: Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 256MB Macintosh Edition RoHS $237.78
    Or, Radeon 9600 Pro PC & Macintosh RoHS 256MB AGP $179.63

Close to $50 difference. I don't have enough information yet to see which is better for the MDD. I won't scrimp if the 9800 is superior, but graphics cards are a little voodoo specific as far as I can tell. Meaning, it's a little tricky to break down which advanced card works best as they work differently depending of you want them for games, video production, multiple monitors, what kind of monitors, etc.

SIIG Inc. SATA 4-channel PCI PCI-to-Serial ATA - PROVANTAGE $50.35
    (1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATAII GURUS $97.75

Question: as a photographer I may go with a JBOD or an external array of some kind. If I do add this in later, the Siig card is just internal. I have enough slots in the MDD to get started that way. What other card would be recommended for using a JBOD or similar external drive enclosure with this MDD?

Question: If I start by pulling the resistor on the board and turning it to a 167 bus from the stock 133 bus, what will happen now? I still have the 2100 speed memory and the 1 ghz SP so, will the machine still work with the 2100 memory at 167? One report I read on the OC procedure said you MUST change the memory, but the task at hand was about putting in a DP 1.42.

I am looking for a used 1.42 as I am thinking that will do noticeably better than my stock SP 1 Ghz. Plus the SATA card and a new SATA drive and I should notice quite a speed up manipulating photographs, hopefully.

I see Sonnet sells a new 1.6 and a 1.8 DP proc upgrade. $449.95 for the 1.6, $599.95 for the 1.8.

Giga Designs sells a 1.33GHz DP (7455 MDD) for $499.00
    This makes no sense to me. Why spend $500 for 1.33 speed vs $450 for 1.6 speed? I also read on the XLR8 site that there have been some problems (two anyway) with the Gigga 1.33 upgrades fo rht e MDD.

Powerlogix does not appear to show any MDD processor upgrades. Did they come and go? I could have sworn they existed once?

I would assume (hope) any used 1.42 on ebay would be well under $400, but I have to find one first. Anyone know how many after market, compatible processors not work in the MDD?

One last consideration, cooling. There used to be reviews on XLR8yourmac.com about 1.8 and higher speed bumps - hazy on the details but the highest speed meant it had to be on continual power (guess I am talking PowerBook with battery). Point is the higher clock speeds needed more power - and more cooling.

So the MDD has a legendary loud fan and there are many cooling mods including liquid out there.

After reviewing the XLR8yourmac reviews again it looks like lots of folks have been looking for the OEM 1.42 for some time so maybe that will fall in to my hands, and maybe not? It also looks like you can't tell how clockable a chip is, even my own, till I scrape off the silver paste and look at it.

Bottom line for me is, getting new useable life to my MDD. It has the card space and the ram space to make SATA arrays doable and 2 gigs ram is enough - just, to edit photos. DP 1.42 is my minimum but I wonder how far up in speed I can go and if it will make any real difference that I can tell?

Most work is using Lightroom and Lightzone for photo editing and cataloging, no small task as large as picture files can be quite large. Sata will be good in that process. Wondering if 1.8 is really noticeable from 1.6? or 1.4?

Thanks for any and all continued input.

Lightbulb

Why not look for used Mac Pro 2GHz x 4.

Has all of those upgrades at your finger tip.
    4 SATA II drives.
    PCIe graphics
    4GB RAM and above
    Won't outgrow it in 6 months
    No need to go with 3rd party PCI SATA either.
    And more bandwidth.

Yes, you can (and we've maxed out MDD a couple times over).

Apple Specials has had 2GHz model for $1899. More than your budget by $1000 probably. Then again, MDDs are loud, but still fetch something in used market, too.

Yes, I suppose that is true. Not a bad suggestion, and still ...

Reasons to mod.
    1) It feels good. I really enjoyed tweaking my old 7300/7600/9600 series.
    2) IF, and I say, IF the end result is near the modern standard, or at least something that makes my life photo editing easier then it would do fine. As much as I enjoy enough speed, I would prefer to create it rather than purchase it bleeding edge.
    3) I can start today and do this incrementally as my budget improves.
    a) I have to investigate this but a first step night be to clip the resistor and make the bus 167, then see what my current 1 Ghz SP does. Then continue researching the best proc upgrade while looking for the illusive 1.42.
    b) Faster ram comes when I find the processor
    c) the ACARD and at least one new SATA drive should make the disk access I now have noticeably faster.
    d) video card come last, as I look for a better monitor.

Altogether, with the processor card being an unknown, this looks like $1000 - $1200 already. Yes, budget at the moment is a consideration. I don't plan for it to be for too long though.

I guess for me the bottom line is, will all the mods I am talking about here bring the MDD near enough to a modern mac with a modern Pentium processor? If it really wont then, you make a good point.

On the other hand, I was thinking this MDD was going to the heap as the values have fallen so far and the dag nab thing was just not getting the love of the upgraders. Seeing that people are now hacking the bus speed and fearlessly moding the MDD, gives me hope again.

Besides, it is so slow now, it is a quesiton of anything I can do while deciding on how to attack grapbbin g a modern Mac. I will definitly get the new OS as a first adoptor. Maybe that new OS will make the pentium chip even more of a need thatn it is today?

Lightbulb

Believe me when I say that a YEAR after buying a "New" Mac Pro, I am STILL tweaking and personalizing, and exploring how to best use it and my work.

It takes a month for each step sometimes. And my budget for adding upgrades.

Someday I could even break it open and replace the cpus for some 45nm advanced chips from Intel.

Radeon AGP has been buggy, EOL, pricey.

It is QUIET!

the first time I opened 30 web pages in tabs at once, it was a pleasure, but not to stop with that, I could at the same time be doing large full backup; scanning; working with 4-5 large documents in Pages that are in the 300-500 page range (Pages really is a dream to work with).

I'm about to upgrade from 4GB to 6GB RAM ($169 for 2GB).

I've got a couple RAIDs, some 10K Raptors, good FW800.

Wait and see what Apple says Tuesday.

Oh, and two optical bays, PLUS six SATA ports (4 are cable-free, just slide the drive in). With extra sleds, you can even swap (but not hot, only after the system cools down).

I can hear myself think, hear the TV or whatever else. Barely hear any fan or disk drives.

Changing the cpu might be a challenge to strip it down but it is doable.

Default no where close...

it will not compete with a Quad Pentium Xeon @ 2.0Ghz, let alone 2.66G or Octo 3.0G.

Save your upgrading dollars and buy an Intel.

I have a DP1.25 and its lethargic compared even to our DP2.0 G5.

Encoding video's, and even newer apps (which have been Intel optimized), the Xeon crush the G4/G5's (sad but true).

I sold our G5 for this same reason, and am awaiting the next round of Pro updates.

Quote Originally Posted by levelbest View Post
    I guess for me the bottom line is, will all the mods I am talking about here bring the MDD near enough to a modern mac with a modern Pentium processor? If it really wont then, you make a good point.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

OK, you both make good points. Maybe the Mac universe has turned a bigger corner than I have been aware of. Like the leap to OS X from 9.x and earlier. Once I changed I didn't want to go back, although I still have one or two legacy apps that still run on my mac. Guess that will be gone with Pentium, although I believe I did see a classic hack somewhere out there?

Anyway, instead of buying another large "pro" mac, after feeling somewhat burned with this MDD and how long it took to see any real upgrades for it, I am likely to look more closely at the new iMacs, and maybe look for a discontinued 24" current iMac after next Tuesdays new announced iMacs. Well there is the budget thing again... sigh.

Of course it is also tempting to build my own PC and (illegally) get it to run Macs modern OS. That would be a real stretch for my skills but it is a fun fantasy. I guess it is just fun to tweak sometimes. And I believe if I go the iMac route there will be very little I can upgrade, except for plug in cards and ram.

Are the Pro Macs still really worthwhile compared to the iMacs? Thinking I can get the JBOD eventually for the extra drive work and storage space. As long as there is enough memory and speed and as long as Apples current strategy with their new OS is set to the new line of Pentium chips, it doesn't look like any modern imac wold be a backwater design (like the MDD) for a long time to come.

I don't know how long it took Ansel Adams to build his reputation but I won't assume mine will happen over night. Still one hopes ... ;-) Imagining not looking at a budget before deciding what I really want. Ahhhh, yes.

ADDED:

From a macrumors processor update page:
    (Xeon) processors in the Mac Pro, while it uses Mobile class (Core 2 Duo) processors in the bulk of the remainder of its line (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook). The Mac mini continues to use the earlier Core Duo processor.
    Apple does not yet use any of Intel's Desktop class processors (Core 2 Duo / Conro
    The article guesses that the new iMac line may well use the Conroe chip. If true, can anyone point me at an article showing if this would be a useful power or speed bump that I need to consider? And, how would an iMac with a connroe chip match up with a Mac Pro with a Xeon chip? Assuming a near match for clock speed (The iMac line is unlikely to have stratosphere clock speeds as Apple probably still wants to sell lots of Mac Pros) And observing that nobody knows for sure the differences in speed as there can be no bench testes yet.

But what are we talking about with Conroe vs Xeon vs Mobile Class? I can see PC articles here and there but Macs of course are what count.

Lightbulb

Pro's are expandable and upgradeable.
    you like that.

What can you 'add' to an iMac?
    That is the "what you see is what you get" universe.

No place to add RAM, extra internal disk drives, PCI slots, or upgrade video.

You can do cpu upgrade on iMac it seems.

read my Mac Pro thread in FAQs.

An iMac makes sense IF you NEED a new larger display. Else, why do it?

OK, thanks. That is a huge link. Too much info to ingest all at one sitting and, thanks for directing me to it.

Did I read that you are the guy behind Applejack? I love Applejack. Yes I have tried it in expert mode also. My only comment is that onse I tried to have it check memory, I pretty much ost use of my mac for three or four hours. Would be good to have a bail out meathod. Was your posting about Applejack saying it causes problems in the ProMac with VM? It has never given me any worries in anything I have used on on so far. Applejack is my first line of defense, then DiskWarrior, always.

It looks like the Pynryn chips are rad enough to prompt a Mac pro redesign, some say Jan 08? Also your thread speculates (have heard it before elsewhere) that high end Pentium chip prices may fall soon. As any Apple user knows, lower component prices wont always translate to Apple giving a price break.

I will look harder at what is available in the MacPro Line.

Monitors are another question. No, I really don't have a useful one now. Gave away the 21" CRT when I was moving all the time. Wondering about what the differences are between classes of Digital monitors now?

I see there are some 20 - 22 " monitors for $400 ish but another class, like apples in the $8-$1000 class. Any idea why this is? As a photographer I am really not that anal about doing my own finished product. I just need to get an accurate color and detail balance and make sure it is really as sharp as I think it is. I let the print bureau worry about the the rest of it.

Will be interesting to see what pops loose on next Tues. I like upgrading as much as the next guy, but the bang for the buck on a 17" or 20" imac is hard for me to resist. The 24" is great too (we just bought two of them at work) but I think I would rather have a 20" and a seperate 20" monitor with a spanned desktop.

Yes, once the imac gets slow - a couple years from now - you need to find it a second home. Not a problem for me. If you think about it, you might get about 3 years out of an imac, and maybe 6 out of a Mac Pro....but the Mac Pro costs at least twice as much, so it ain't cheaper per year.

You have to have a Mac Pro if:

You need more than 4 GB of RAM
    You need a second drive faster than FW 400
    You need more oomph in CPU than the Core 2 Duo @ 2 x 2+Ghz

Guess my point is, for what the MDD upgrades would cost, I think an Imac w/RAM will run circles around it. Not to mention MDDs can be picky about RAM, sometimes drives, PMU issues, loud, and especially mucking around with swapping CPUs.

Should we see an freshened, faster imac line on Tues, the reasons will be more compelling.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

What is all this "Pentium" about?

Mac Pro uses Intel Xeon.

I have nothing to do with Applejack's development.

Yes, I would expect no one could absorb or follow all the links in that thread. Each message by itself is a huge bit and too much to swallow for one meal.

The MDD has 133 or 167MHz bus.
    Mac Pro has 1333MHz.

www.techreport.com has its own 'overclocker's' forum and some articles on Intel roadmap and desktop Core2.

Apple expects to take a hit in sales for awhile. That use to be a regular occurrence - announce but not be able to feed demand or have it ready on day #1. Tuesday we'll see why.

Quote Originally Posted by levelbest View Post
    Either: Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 256MB Macintosh Edition RoHS $237.78
    Or, Radeon 9600 Pro PC & Macintosh RoHS 256MB AGP $179.63

I do have a ATI 9800Pro Mac Edition for sale.

Equipped with a Arctic Cooling ATI silencer cuz the original cooler is dang loud.
    I would ask for 100 to 120Euros plus shipping.

All in genuine packaging.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Sorry, I missed this last reply. I was waiting to see the new iMacs before proceeding further. Turns out to have been a good thing. I like the new iMacs very much.

One thing I would like to know more about in regard to the card Nicholas is offering is, what difference would such a card make if I decide to just get a good monitor and the card for now? I still have the G4 MDD 1 Gig SP. Would speeding up the board bus speed this chip up as it is?

It's probably loan time to get my business running properly, sigh. Hate debit but when I start to sell my photos I will probably feel better about it. A new 24" imac with a 4 meg Ram capacity, new ilife apps, large HD, fat and fast video card, and even a FW 800 port. Sounds really nice.

My thinking is, I wonder if the card is a good deal, then get a monitor now for about $500-$600. Later if the monitor is good enough it could be a second monitor in the photography business.

I have been researching monitors, trying to tell if inexpensive means "cheap" or if getting the Apple monitors are just one more thing I have to budget for? IT looks like Dell has a line of monitors that uses the same Phillips screen internals as Apple does. But, a sales person in a wolf camera shop (not selling the monitor though) was sharing his experience that the Apple monitors stay pretty brilliant with color calibration where the dells were often in need of using a spider or other method of screen color calibration. If true then cheap does not mean "a bargain".

Thumbs up The new iMac's really seem to have hit the spot

I was waiting to see the new iMacs before proceeding further. Turns out to have been a good thing. I like the new iMacs very much.
    Me too. I just spent as good chunk of my iMac fund so need to save a little more. A 20" iMac spanned with my reasonably new 20" Samsung (yeah, half a step above elcheapo but it looks good) will meet my needs and more. I'll be buying something before December as an early Xmas present to myself. One good thing about being single.

What I wonder about the new iMacs is about the new led technology. I was really hoping that the new iMacs would incorporate this technology into their new displays. I "think" Apple has already done this on a relatively recent MacBook pro line upgrade. So the led screen technology is already out there in the market I believe.

Maybe someone could say more about this but if I understand it the new led technology would be a benefit because led technology will; lower power requirements, a key point for a portable but also nice for a home system I should think; Make color delivery better, I don't know all the tecnho details but I think I am reading that led technology would have a much faster response time and could even deliver sharper or brighter colors; environmentally friendly, it takes less energy to run them and they are less caustic to produce (large assumption on that last point)

Meanwhile back at the ranch, my MDD is so slow it is almost unusable. I don't remember it as being that slow (?).

Part of the first task is to review the three external drives and catalog only the oldest version of each photo to keep degradation down. May not be worth the aggravation and better done on a modern Mac.

Lightbulb

> I still have the G4 MDD 1 Gig SP. Would speeding up the board bus speed this chip up as it is?

You asked before, 33MHz is just that. Compared to... 1333MHz on Mac Pro, or 900MHz? would it be on iMac?

Yes, the Radeon 9800 makes screen redraw faster. It is also hot (why the cooling mod) and mine was loud.

1GHz SP hurts, too.

A G4 MDD SP needs a lot of work, more than most of us think is economical or reasonable. 10K Raptor boot drive and controller, video, etc. I always felt a dual 2.0GHz cpu upgrade might happen. Or MDD would be easy. They were not, and there were actually more like 7 different model configurations if someone wanted to create a drop in cpu upgrade.

I find that a dedicated boot drive on its own channel, and to backup + erase + restore every couple months helps.

Keep media data on 2nd drive, even a 2-drive RAID.

Add PCI FW800, too.

Apple has great buys on iMac in Specials / Ref'd bin. Some are actually new never used but liquidated stock.

Use the MDD as "backup" server. The iMac will be quiet and give you everything you are trying to add almost. The new ones would have FW800. Maybe wait a few months for Leopard and '2nd revision" possibly.