Thread: Serial ATA card for Power Mac G4?

Default Serial ATA card for Power Mac G4?

I have a Power Mac G4, MDD w/800 Firewire, dual 1.42 Ghz, running 10.4.10.

Question: all the hard drives listed show they are SATA II and the only card I could find for 4 internal (only) ports was for SATA I. Would this work or do I need the match the HD's with the control card? In other words either the HD's and card are both I or II? Where to buy?

Donnchadh

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

SATA 2 HD's will work on an SATA 1 card just fine and to be honest in a home user or light work environment you would never even notice the difference between an SATA2 and an SATA1 card
    Damien,

Ditto,

Can't even test the difference between a SATAI and a SATAII host in most cases.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I see. What I was concerned about was a specification listed for the SIIG Serial ATA 4 Channel PCI-Mac card:

..."data transfer rates up to 150 MB/s"... which is a SATA I standard and a possible conflict with

..."300 MB/s for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives"...
    which is SATA II.

I haven't been able to find any SATA II cards with four internal ports (don't need any external ports) for MAC.

Donnchadh

Lightbulb

You have less than 300MB/sec of bandwidth, which is shared on any/all PCI controllers.

There aren't any uses for 300MB/sec except where drives are on the same channel and sharing bandwidth. If you used SCSI then you saw "Ultra160" even as each drive was rated for 40-70MB/sec.

Two SATA II drives in RAID can reach 150MB/sec. But no single drive.

SeriTek 4 internal channels is enhanced over the older PCI 2 channel card.
    Sonnet has a 4 channel internal controller also, but isn't bootable, $179.

Arrow booting Sonnet 4-port SATA

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post
    Sonnet has a 4 channel internal controller also, but isn't bootable
    This turns out not to be the case. My Sonnet four-port SATA PCI card has been booting my G5 dual-2GHz from its four 120g barracuda drives since around December 2005.

Were you referring to G4 only? Is the G4 different than a G5 in regards to SATA boot drive support?
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Lightbulb

No, just can't keep up with all the change ;-)

Which Sonnet card is bootable? I didn't know Sonnet even had a 4 port card other than the ones we were selling for port multiplier boards and they certainly are not bootable. Interesting. Wonder if someone else is making that card you have?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Arrow booting sonnet sata

I'll open up my G5 and get specifics on that bootable SATA card this weekend. Sonnet has been really good to me over the last 10 years, and I don't mind a little sweat to help them out.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    I love OS X

Arrow bad human, no donut

I was wrong. My bootable SATA PCI card is a SiiG, not Sonnet.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    I love OS X

Your own computer snucked one by you

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin