Thread: Serial ATA card for Power Mac G4?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Serial ATA card for Power Mac G4?

I have a Power Mac G4, MDD w/800 Firewire, dual 1.42 Ghz, running 10.4.10.

Question: all the hard drives listed show they are SATA II and the only card I could find for 4 internal (only) ports was for SATA I. Would this work or do I need the match the HD's with the control card? In other words either the HD's and card are both I or II? Where to buy?

Donnchadh

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

SATA 2 HD's will work on an SATA 1 card just fine and to be honest in a home user or light work environment you would never even notice the difference between an SATA2 and an SATA1 card
    Damien,

Ditto,

Can't even test the difference between a SATAI and a SATAII host in most cases.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I see. What I was concerned about was a specification listed for the SIIG Serial ATA 4 Channel PCI-Mac card:

..."data transfer rates up to 150 MB/s"... which is a SATA I standard and a possible conflict with

..."300 MB/s for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives"...
    which is SATA II.

I haven't been able to find any SATA II cards with four internal ports (don't need any external ports) for MAC.

Donnchadh

Lightbulb

You have less than 300MB/sec of bandwidth, which is shared on any/all PCI controllers.

There aren't any uses for 300MB/sec except where drives are on the same channel and sharing bandwidth. If you used SCSI then you saw "Ultra160" even as each drive was rated for 40-70MB/sec.

Two SATA II drives in RAID can reach 150MB/sec. But no single drive.

SeriTek 4 internal channels is enhanced over the older PCI 2 channel card.
    Sonnet has a 4 channel internal controller also, but isn't bootable, $179.

Arrow booting Sonnet 4-port SATA

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post
    Sonnet has a 4 channel internal controller also, but isn't bootable
    This turns out not to be the case. My Sonnet four-port SATA PCI card has been booting my G5 dual-2GHz from its four 120g barracuda drives since around December 2005.

Were you referring to G4 only? Is the G4 different than a G5 in regards to SATA boot drive support?
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X