Thread: All I want now is a fast boot drive ;-)

Confused All I want now is a fast boot drive ;-)

Been doing some upgrades as I move D2D2T and have a couple issues. After a 14 hour tape restore after a disk failure decided it was time to add some additional disk capability for both storage and tape backup.

G5 2.5 PM, add initially added 3 cudas internally (G5 Jive) and PCI-X Sonnet E4i host card, disks used for data and backup. Works great right out of the box.

After two months, zero issues. Next step was to add a Raptor to become a new system drive, using extra drive slot under stock disk in G5.

Initially I hooked it up to the E41, works fine except the E4i doesn't support boot. After checking with Sonnet (and elsewhere) for internal boot support, I picked up the a Sonnet 2 port internal Sata card for the Raptor.

Used Carbon Copy to create a new system disk on the Raptor, and seems to work and things are a lot faster...but. With the two port card I keep getting an error: "Seritek/1s2 in slot 2, the last transaction on channel 0 unit 0 could not be found in 31 seconds."

When I originally set up the 2 port card I kept getting Finder hangs and this error. I moved it to a different PCI slot and the Finder hangs stopped but the error keeps randomly popping up, even when I'm not using the the drive as a boot drive. (basically sitting idle).

I have a note into Sonnet support on the issue but after talking to them on the phone they weren't much help.

About ready to send the 2 port card back.

So my questions:

1. Can anyone shed some light on the error? It doesn't seem to be a data integrity error as things keep running fine, but obvious something is wrong.

2: Any other internal boot options?

3. I know their was a reason, but i don't remember why I can't use the Raptor on the internal G5 serial ata bus?

Thanks for help.
    Last edited by TZ; 08-04-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Try to make things easier for people to read. Okay?

Arrow A Raptor

I'll let others with a little more experience with your current setup give some more detail, thoughts or advise. I am not sure about the message try Googling it. Many of us here love the Raptor as a boot drive.

FWIW... I have been using a 74GB Raptor and Seritek 1S2 in my G4's both a Quicksilver and DA for nearly 2 years now without a problem.

Lightbulb

Most of what you want to know are in FAQ & Help threads.
    Look for one on "Raptor."
    You don't list which Raptor, so left to assume it is 150GB model.
    Older models were 8MB cache and 74GB maximum.
    They also used older SATA features, if any.

Only PCI Express G5s late 2005, mostly Quad G5, can use the Raptors that are currently shipping natively.

The Sonnet 2CH is basically the same as SeriTek 2CH card.
    Check FirmTek downloads. What version firmware and driver are you using?
    http://www.firmtek.com/download/

A dedicated boot drive is always best.

Some people opt for 500GB models. Hitachi and WD, with WD being less expensive. The 1TB Hitachi can outperform a Raptor, if you can look $400 drive without blinking an eye.

SATA is and has been replacing tape even in traditional IT shops. And that is one reason for the 1TB model. There are 750GB for half the price (those come to 699GB usable capacity, subtract 10% for safe keeping and you have about 600-630GB).

Default Couple additional data points...

Firmware is current, 5.2.5.152. The Seritek 1S2 firmware updater recognizes the card ok, So basically the Sonnet card is OEMed by Firmtek? Is their an identified issue using a 150G Raptor with this card? (Quote TZ "Only PCI Express G5s late 2005, mostly Quad G5, can use the Raptors that are currently shipping natively.") I didn't see anything noted in any of the product specs to indicate an issue. This is a PCI-X based G5. TIA

Lightbulb

If you look at www.wdc.com or the product page on www.macsales.com there is a quote and link saying ALL G5s can't use the 150GB Raptor. Not true. We had a long discussion on G5 Apple discussions; held a small internal 'Gurus forum survey.

All links etc are in our/my FAQ.

There is also www.xlr8yourmac.com reader report, and you can search their Drive Upgrade DB.

yes, I realize you have PCI-X and not a Quad G5, I was saying that ONLY the Quad has better SATA II support. (Might want to put your mac configs in your signature, very helpful to see at a glance for us).

Oh, WDC refuses to acknowledge, and people running small sites like XLY8 aren't going to go and "contradict" or go against WDC. In fact, WD thinks any and all G4, including MDD, lack LBA 48-bit support, too, and require PCI ATA/133 for large drives. So I am not going to waste breath on their mac support.

Default Had a chance to do some more testing...

The error is not Raptor specific. I get the same error using a Cuda drive. Same symptoms, everything works fine including booting, but the same error randomly appears, sometime after a couple minutes, sometimes an hour. Guess I'll wait to hear from Tech Support next week.

Thumbs up Sometimes you have to remember Occam's Razor

and the solution to a really complex problem is the simplest answer... a firmware bug. Support got back to me and advised I needed to go back one level on the firmware as what I was seeing was a new bug in the updated firmware. They provided the flasher and everything seems to be working fine. (Need to test a few more days to be sure) Had nothing to do with the drive types (Raptor, Cuda, etc.) per se.

Thumbs up Just want to close out the thread...

Firmware downgrade definitely resolved the error message issue.
    Hasn't appeared once since updating the card and everything appears to be working correctly. Thanks for the other suggestions.