Thread: Maxtor Drives

Lightbulb Maxtor SATA

Apple had been using Maxtor drives in G5s, then seemed to stop, and Apple label Maxtor SATA drives showed up in the channel.
    Apple is selling out its SATA 160 Go - Lionel - 2-8-2004 14:41:38

Bananas has ordered from an online shop a 160GB SATA Hardrive.
    Below is a picture of what he has received :

[ Maxtor model shown ]

This HD is for sure from Apple. It is quite frequent for Apple to sell lots of components to empty stocks, when they have ordered too much, or simply when a new model is coming, and its components are different...
    - www.hardmac.com
    Maxtor in trouble - Lionel - 22:13:36

IBM were blamed for their defectuous HDs some years ago. Unfortunately for Maxtor is would seem they face the same trouble today.

- The firm has refunded 47 millions █ to clients for faulty HDs. The return rate would be as high as 5.5% ! (Seagate 2.4 and Hitachi 2%).
    - Announcing their results yesterday, the company acknowledged having sold 400,000 faulty HDs to a gross reseller. Dell, the final client, of course refused to buy them. Maxtor results were really poor on top of that.
    - Maxtor reportedly try to sell those to Europen clients who now are so angry, do not want to work with them any more.

This is bad omen for the survival of a company that's on one of the most difficult markets of the computer industry. - www.hardmac.com
    The MaXLine III brings significant changes to the table. Previous SATA MaXLine products (and DiamondMax products, for that matter), were designed with legacy parallel operation and retrofitted for the SATA interface through a bridge chip. The MaXLine III represents the firm's first from-the-ground-up SATA product. As a result, the drive does not feature a standard 4-pin molex-style power receptacle like earlier Maxtor SATA offerings did, instead relying exclusively on the 15-pin SATA standard. Note that a parallel ATA version featuring standard 40-pin PATA and 4-pin molex connectors will also be available.

Along with this native implementation, Maxtor has incorporated some second-generation SATA features, most notably native command queuing (NCQ). Command queuing allows a drive to intelligently reorder requests to minimize seeks distances and rotational latency. Though CQ has been implemented in the SCSI world for years, it is just now reaching ATA shores. When paired with an appropriate controller, NCQ-enabled drives potentially enjoy significant increases in performance under heavy-depth, highly-random operation.

The MaXLine III also features a 16 MB buffer, the first increase since Western Digital upped the bar to 8 megabytes nearly three years ago. A large buffer and its accompanying firmware is much the opposite of command queuing- read-ahead and write-back optimizations shine in highly-localized scenarios.

http://storagereview.com/articles/20...7B300S0_1.html
    Today Maxtor announces the latest addition to its nearline-oriented series, the MaXLine III. Though the family guns for the nearline market where capacity, ease of integration, and reliability are key, this MaXLine nonetheless brings other interesting features to the table. The drive combines up to three 100 GB platters to yield a 300 GB capacity as well introducing long-awaited features such as native SATA operation, a 16 MB buffer, and native command queuing. More information can be found in Maxtor's Data Sheet (pdf)

http://www.storagereview.com/ review of the MaXLine III. This traditional SR-style review examines the drive with standardized test suite operating off of our reference SATA controller. Results with an appropriate NCQ controller will follow soon.
    Fast, whisper quiet, but maybe not suitable for server operations, it looks very promising.
    quote:
    Maxtor validates 175GB per platter tech
    by Geoff Gasior - 04:25 am, October 14, 2003

Maxtor has validated a new disk manufacturing process that will allow for storage densities of up to 175GB per platter. Here's a snip from the press release:

MILPITAS, Calif., October 13, 2003 -- Maxtor Corporation (NYSE: MXO), a worldwide leader in hard disk drives, announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, MMC Technology Inc., demonstrated its new perpendicular recording medium (PMR) disk manufacturing process which delivers production costs similar to today's longitudinal recording media. MMC showcased a single-pass media production process for perpendicular medium using existing manufacturing equipment, making the transition to the next era of areal density possible at affordable costs.

techreport.com Original article: Maxtor PR
    Last edited by TZ; 07-25-2004 at 08:31 AM.

Lightbulb

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 and MaxLine III from Maxtor. Also the fastest boot drive (beating out 10K Raptor, Cheetah 15K.3) Enabled NCQ. 16MB cache buffer. 250/300GB

The MaxLine 3 and the DM10 ARE THE SAME DRIVE, basically (only difference is MTBF they are certified for). No surprise there. As for the 2nd CPU for SATA, that is most likely to enable command queueing and the processing that it requires...which obviously doesn't exist on PATA drives.
    The new DM10+ has 2 CPUs on the PCB. Only the MaxLine 3 had 2 CPUs, but Maxtor decided to put them with the DM10+. The first CPU is dedicated to SATA while the second is for the hard drive it-self. The reason why Maxtor dedicated 1 CPU for SATA is that it requires more complex algorithms and much more work than PATA. So Maxtor decided to put a CPU for this. http://www.presence-pc.com/article-159-2.html
    SR BBS Maxtor 10

Another drive with dual DSP:
    Samsung's SpinPoint Series
    Last edited by TZ; 12-05-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Lightbulb Maxtor NAS low-cost backup

Maxtor To Offer Alternative To NAS Storage For Small Businesses
    By Joseph F. Kovar
    http://www.storagepipeline.com

Maxtor next month plans to begin shipping an alternative to NAS appliances that installs quickly and offers solution providers opportunities to help small businesses handle a variety of storage tasks.

The Maxtor Shared Storage solution is a single hard drive with an external housing and a 10/100-Mbps Ethernet port that plugs into a home or small-business network, said Paul Streit, senior manager of branded marketing for the company.

The device provides cost-effective shared storage for users looking to improve their data backup and archiving capabilities, Streit said. List prices are $300 for a 200-Gbyte model and $400 for a 300-Gbyte version.
    http://www.storagepipeline.com/news/57701694
    SATA-II for Enterprise

Maxtor SATA drives coming through ZZF (zipzoomfly) lately have had problems and required either low level format (ATA/SATA?) using a PC only utility, or RMA. Seems to be most common with the 250GB DiamondMax 10 units.
    *RE: Hard drive for video*

"I currently have 8 Maxtor 250GB drives. 4 inside of my G5 and 4 in an external exclosure. The SATA drives that I had purchased from ZipZoomFly ended up failing the first few days.. Even the replacements that they sent ended up failing. I then got replacements directly from Maxtor and have been a very happy camper since then.

If you read the treads on the bad Maxtor drives it seems that I am not alone with them being defective when purchased from ZipZoomFly. I dont know if they test them or do something to them that makes them fail in a Mac.

However, the tech at Maxtor that I spoke with recommended that all the drives needed was to be reset with their PowerMax software on a PC, and that after that, they would work fine. But since they do not make the PowerMax software for Mac they were willing to replace the drives which only took 3 days.

Others that have bought Maxtors from other sources such as newegg have not had this problem."
    ------

".. I had drives from 3 different daes of manufacture from them.. all months apart. All of the drives that I got had error 36 when reading from them. And when I ran a surface scan it had massive bad sectors. The tech at Maxtor sad that this could be cured just by resetting the drive."
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@@.68a18232/5
    Testing SATA Maxtor drives w/ PowerMax
    Maxtor Software Downloads

DiamondMax 10

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 NCQ 300GB 16MB cache review by TechReport. Nothing new to add not mentioned in other reviews but getting a lot of attention.

Based on an integrated, single-chip native SATA solution, DiamondMax 10 drives feature native command queuing along with the company's exclusive dual-processor technology and large buffers (8 and 16MB cache) to deliver unparalleled speeds compared to traditional drives in their class.

This unique set of features combined with Maxtorĺs latest firmware technology, allows the drive to self-balance its workloads for a more efficient hard drive operation.

With DiamondMax 10 hard drive-enabled systems, consumers can easily run multiple applications, such as games and music, at the same time without overwhelming the PC.

Designed for multimedia PC users, graphic artists, system integrators and white box builders, the 7200 RPM DiamondMax 10 drives are offered in capacities of up to 300GB and are ideal for performance desktop computing storing high-resolution images, multimedia content, and personal and business information. DM 10 Data Sheet pdf
    MaxLine III
    MaXLine III drives provide large-capacity enterprise disk storage ideally suited for midline and nearline applications that require increased performance beyond traditional optical and tape solutions, as well as higher reliability than traditional desktop hard drives. Comes with 16MB cache buffer, dual-processor dedicated DSP for native command queueing.

MaXLine III drives provide IS managers with faster, more efficient alternatives to traditional backups, such as point-in-time copies, snapshot clones and remote replication.

These third-generation MaXLine drives offer up to 300GB storage capacity and are designed for mean time to failure (MTTF) of 1 million hours (based on a statistical sample) for low-I/O duty cycle midline and nearline applications. MaxLine III Data Sheet pdf
    Warranty Length: Three years manufacturer warranty beginning from the manufacturing date.
    Coverage: Covers repair or replacement of the product.
    Provider: Maxtor.
    Contact: 1-800-2-MAXTOR - Option 2 (1-800-262-9867) or Fax at: 303-678-2260
    Technical Support: Call 1-800-2-MAXTOR - Option 1 (1-800-262-9867)
    Service Location: Maxtor provides warranty service at a mail-in location.
    Service Time: Please allow 2-3 weeks for warranty service.
    Maxtor DM10 and ML3
    Enabled NCQ. 16MB cache buffer. 250/300GB

Best SATA drive today may well be from Maxtor.

The MaxLine 3 and the DM10 ARE THE SAME DRIVE, basically (only difference is MTBF they are certified for). No surprise there. As for the 2nd CPU for SATA, that is most likely to enable command queueing and the processing that it requires...which obviously doesn't exist on PATA drives.

Barefeats Benchmarks: [indent] It appears that the ultimate boot drive would be a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with its 16MB buffer, not the 10K Raptor -- not even dual 10K Raptors.
    Last edited by TZ; 02-20-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Lightbulb Maxtor SATA Maxline

Maxtor's more reliable SATA drives
    By Chris Mellor, Techworld

Maxtor has released a line of serial ATA Maxline drives it claims are 60 percent more reliable than desktop SATA drives and come with a five-year as opposed to three-year warranty.

Maxtor's Diamond Max desktop SATA drives have a mean time to failure (MTTF) of 600,000 hours, which is not good enough for heavy enterprise use. In comparison, enterprise drives such as Maxtor's SCSI Atlas have a MTTF of 1.4 million hours, but they come with a heftier price tag. Maxline has a 1.0 million hour MTTF rating, a low duty cycle and five-year warranty.

Array manufacturers under cost-pressure could populate their products with cheaper desktop SATA drives, resulting in customers experiencing higher failure rates.

There is no industry-standard measure of what duty cycle level and what MTTF rating is acceptable for nearline storage. Customers are advised to buy SATA nearline storage arrays with circumspection and choose arrays using drives of known reliability ratings.

These are the latest revision/firmware:

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V300F0 300GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer
    Maxtor Maxline III 7V300F0 300GB Serial ATA 3Gb 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer
    for those that think ALL SATA 300 drives are just plug and play backwards to SATA 150, do more research before you speak. Some combinations of older SATA 150 chipsets (eg, NF3 and VIA) and/or drives have issues in handshaking and detection.

I have several Samsung and Maxtor SATA 300 drives that I had to jumper in order for certain SATA 150 motherboard chipsets to detect these drives properly.

The Maxtor 7L300F0 and 6L250F0 drives have a set of jumpers next to the SATA plug that is undocumented and Maxtor unofficially denies that these are usable. However, if you jumper the left 2 most pins, that will force the drive into SATA 150 mode if you need it.
    Last edited by TZ; 02-15-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Lightbulb Maxtor 500GB three new models

Maxtor at 500 GB. DiamondMax 11, MaXLine Pro 500, QuickView 500.

This week Maxtor formally threw its hat into the 500 GB arena with the announcement of a trio of related offerings.

The traditional DiamondMax 11 extends upon the firm's long-standing consumer offering by upping platter density from the DM10's 100 GB/platter to 125 GB/platter and by returning to a four-disc design. The drive features a SATA II-style 300 MB interface and seeks are spec'ed at 9ms. Industry-standard features such as a 16 MB buffer, FDB motors, and NCQ round out the package...

The traditional DiamondMax 11 extends upon the firm's long-standing consumer offering by upping platter density from the DM10's 100 GB/platter to 125 GB/platter and by returning to a four-disc design. The drive features a SATA II-style 300 MB interface and seeks are spec'ed at 9ms. Industry-standard features such as a 16 MB buffer, FDB motors, and NCQ round out the package.

Second up is the QuickView 500, a variant of the DiamondMax 11 targeting the massive storage requirements to record HDTV video. Ostensibly, the QuickView optimizes for the highly-streamed (sequential) DVR-style environment.

Finally, the MaXLine Pro 500 is to the DiamondMax 11 as the NL35 is to Seagate's Barracuda 7200.8 or the Caviar RE2 is to WD's Caviar SE. Intended for nearline and light-duty applications, the MaXLine builds upon the standard DiamondMax platform with a more rigorous assembly and verification process. The "Pro" designation is Maxtor's way of indicating that the line finally incorporates enterprise-style features such as improved error recovery and vibration compensation. The firm continues to spec the MaXLine with a 1 million hour MTBF under a "40-50% duty cycle"
    Storage Review
    WD Caviar vs Maxtor DMIII vs Deskstar 7K400 vs Barracuda 7200.9

The 7K500 and the new Maxtor 500GB were not available to include in drive comparison at this point.

Lightbulb Maxtor Drives

Example of what drive firmware can do.

Problems with drive's not mounting after xxx hours of use, time-outs, etc.
    I don't know what or how much Apple does at the OS level. But the 750GB 'cuda.10 does require OS X 10.4.6+ from reports on www.xlr8yourmac.com (most people learn to check the site 'regularly' and to check their Drive DB for user reports, too.)

Seagate 500GB SATA2 firmware upgrade helps RAID5 dramatically
    My SATA2 x 4 HDs in RAID5 formation showed HDTach benchmarks that were jagged beyond belief. The performance should have been much higher than the 60MBs/sec I was seeing..

I contacted Seagate with my results. They emailed me a firmware upgrade for my ST3500641AS-RK 500GB SATA Harddrives with S/N beginning with 3PM-----. These drives came with a 12/20/2005 3AAE firmware as labeled on the drive itself. Updating harddrives firmware is not something that the end user would normally do, and hence they emailed me the upgrade (as it's not on their website) to 3AAH date 2/17/2006.

To upgrade the firmware I unhooked all my IDE & SATA drives from the mobo and controller cards. I hooked up one SATA drive at a time to the mobo onboard SATA controller and booted simply to DOS with a floppy disk and ran the .BAT file they emailed me that I unzipped to a disk. I repeated this for all 8 of my drives, hooked everything back up and rebooted to WinXP.

The great news is twofold 1) upon hooking up all my drives, I didn't have to reformat or reRAID anything.. all my data was still there on line. and 2) the benchmark results improved dramatically from 60/MBs to 160/MBs
    Simply awesome!

here they are..

Once again, these are 4 Seagate 500GB SATA2 drives in hardware RAID 5 formation with a Highpoint RocketRAID 2240 controller card. The card supports 16 drives on 4 infiniband channels, and these results show the benchmarks for two of the infiniband channels (4x1 500GB) each with RAID5 setups.

http://www.seagate.com/contact/index.html
    1-800-SEAGATE (1-800-732-4283)
    e-mail back from Seagate:
    Issues that may occur with SATA hard drives in an array do not apply to PATA hard drives. There are no firmware updates for PATA hard drives.

Regardless of this, conventional benchmarking software tends to be unreliable when testing RAID performance. We cannot guaranty the performance of our hard drives in a RAID array anyway because that performance to a large degree depends on the controller and other components within your system.

I recommend benchmarking these hard drives individually outside of a RAID environment to make sure that they are actually performing up to specification.
    Maxtor:

• Maxtor 6v300f0s are diamondmax 10s. According to some talks with Maxtor tech support, these may have the same problems as WD SE drives; the Maxline IIIs have corrected this. "Selectable Command Timeout" is the magic word here, rather than TLER.
    • The original DM10s may also have this feature, but that's a whole other bag o' worms.
    Interesting. Especially since on many machines I have had 0 errors when running performance tests to fill up the disks, but days/weeks later when the machine was idle all of a sudden a drive or two would drop. Not only that, but all of the drives that I've looked at have failed the powermax simple test.

Comments:

I have been running VA111680 now 2691 hours continuously without a problem on a 3ware 9550sx-8lp raid controller card.

The system has 7 Maxline III drives model 7V300F0. The system is now up 16 days and a few minutes without a drive timeout. With VA111670 I also had a period of this many days without any problem though, so I'm still cautious to declare a success. But it looks good.

People having a problem with 3ware/amcc or any other brand on-board or PCI RAID controllers experiencing infrequent(!) drive timeouts on all drives in combination with Maxline III drives models 7VxxxF0 or DiamondMax 6VxxxF0 should contact Seagate/Maxtor and ask them for a solution in the form of a firmware upgrade VA111680.

Don't even consider upgrading to VA111680 if you are not experiencing any problem. There is no performance gain in doing so.
    problems with the 6B300S0 drives? (DM 10 300GB SATA units.)
    We get dropouts maybe 8 times per year I guess.

Can you look at the drive's PCB. I believe that all Sabre-S II / RC_1 hard drives are affected by this issue. Only RAID users will experience this problem.

Maxtor told me that VA111680 would only work on 7VxxxF0 drives. I know for a fact that it also works on 6VxxxF0 drives. It might also work for 6B300S0 drives, but I don't know.

• Disk drive's firmware or newer model.
    • Drive controller firmware.
    • Disk drivers/extensions.
    • OS.
    Use to be that drive format utility could also. Drive Setup, SoftRAID, FWB HDT etc. Disk Utility. And even PC users have their own problems!

The whole "use a PC " thing began when the vendor asked and said that the only way to disable SSC was on a PC. And it has always been true, and possible, to update drive firmware, but only on a PC, not from a Mac.

I tend to reformat a drive about every 6 months. When Tiger came out, and again with 10.4.4 which made some more changes at that level of operation.

Lightbulb firmware updates for ATA/SATA drives

Cont'd. from previous.

Should the average user be looking to upgrade the firmware on their hard drive?? Is it likely to improve performance when used in a standalone fashion? And if so, do any of the manufacturers make the firmware available via the net?

No, firmware updates for ATA/SATA drives are normally not allowed. They are even prohibited to do by desktop drive customers. So the companies release (and just send out personally) the updates only in cases when the situation is somehow in S.O.S. condition.
    Yes thanks from me too. We bought several of the Seagate 500GB SATA drives (ST3500641AS) to use in two separate Infrant NAS RAID5 arrays. I'm going to contact Seagate to get the latest firmware (whatever is the 4/14 version after 3.AAH I guess?).

I had Maxtor MaxLine III's( 7V300F0's) made in Jan 2006 dropping out randomly off a 3ware 9550SX.. called up maxtor, talked to them for a bit, soon as they heard 3ware they sent out the firmware.. it's been up 3 days or so without a problem.. took me somewhere around an hour to update the firmware on 17 drives though...
    I have 15 of these in the one machine, and two in another machine.. it's been almost two weeks with no issues, whereas before i'd get a dropped drive every day or two.

However, I still have these drives drop out of Silicon Image controllers every so often...
    Last edited by TZ; 06-25-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Lightbulb A "me too" Maxtor drive dropout issue report

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as you described here.

I have a 3ware/amcc 9550sx-8lp controller with eight 300GB Maxline III harddisks (7V300F0). They were equiped with firmware VA111630 and produced near the end of Jan 2006. The system is a Supermicro SC833T-R760 chassis (with 760W PSU), and I'm running Linux, 64-bit, but I don't think this is a OS related problem.

The system works fine, but randomly with intervals of many days of normal operation q drive drops out of the array. It is always a different drive, and always a different slot. Rebooting the machine does not help. The drive remains completely dead or inaccessible. I have to cold boot the machine, or I have to hot-remove and reinsert the drive. Then it starts working again completely normally.

I complained about this to AMCC and Maxtor, and they sent me firmware VA111670. The problem did not go away, although I have the impression that the frequency of occurance has been reduced somewhat.

I have tried all sorts of things, like reducing the speed from 3.0Gbps to 1.5Gbps, all to no avail. The longest period of continuous trouble free operation was 17 days in a row. The shortest 22 hours. On average statistically each drive fails every 56 days of operation (/8 drives = 1 case every week on average).

The "defective" drives afterwards do not appear to have any sector defects that might cause these timeouts.

I have 3ware 9500S-4LP with Maxtor 6V300F0 fw VA111630 - the drives drop on a regular basis. I've used both SuSE 9.1, and 10.0 and two different firmware on the 3ware cards, but the drives will eventually drop.

Hoping there is a firmware fix or we'll be replacing the drives in the next few days.

Drive(s) dropping from array and not responding then. Must shutdown computer to wake up the failed disk.

10xMaxtor MaxLine III 300GB SATA2 (3 was DOA) fw. upgraded to VA111670
    1xSupermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port SATA2 controller
    1xSupermicro AOC-SATA-MV8 8-port SATA1 controller
    Dual 240 Opteron, Tyan S2882, Debian Linux AMD64 & i386

I've upgraded the 3ware 9550SX's firmware to the latest available, but upon reboot it will show a degraded arrayand start rebuilding, or an array in init state. With the factory installed firmware it would intermittently not see a drive upon reboot.
    Last edited by TZ; 06-25-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Lightbulb 3ware w/ Maxtor DM10

Hmm, this experience sounds quite like ours.
    Summary: bought a pair of servers about 18 months ago, near-identical setup (subtly different mobo revs, 3ware card h/w and f/w revs), each has a 3ware 9500S-12 with 12 Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB SATA units (6B300S0).

Early bad things included loss of single/multiple drives at power-up (and even at warm-boot sometimes I think), as many as 8 of the 12 once(!). Both systems have exhibited pretty similar problems.

Since then we've swapped out the 3ware cards for newer ones, upgraded the firmware, reseated the controller end of the cables (drive end is impossible to get to without dismantling, dodgy design). No recent drive loss events on power-up but we power them up only about every 6 months anyway so lousy stats.

Continuing bad symptoms: random loss of drives. Every month or two, a drive will just drop out of the array. This must have happened about 10 times now, and on ONE occasion only, the drive was actually faulty (the Maxtor PowerMax tool said it was bust). All the other times, the drives have been fine, without even an event in their SMART logs (no errors, reallocations, anything).
    Sometimes the controller said it kicked them out because of a time-out, sometimes because of an ECC error.

Lightbulb

General question to anyone who replies to this request:
    • can you please be very specific, and include as many details as possible regarding the issue you are experiencing.
    • It is possible that there is more than one problem, and it is not a good idea to have an attempt at solved two problems at the same time.
    • e.g. It is nice that you are using the latest firmware on the 3ware controller, but is this version 3.0.5, 3.0.4 or 3.0.2?
    • And that version was on the card when it was shipped also depends upon when it was shipped.
    • My 3ware cards originally contained 3.0.1 and I never had Maxtor drive recognition problems at boottime. I'm running 3.0.4 BTW at this moment without problems whatsoever, except this d*mned Maxtor dropping drive thing.
    • It is also very important to mention what firmware you are experiencing these issues with, and whether the drives are connected directly to the SATA(-RAID) controller or if there perhaps is a backplane in between (like in a hot-swap chassis or drive cage).
    Last edited by TZ; 06-25-2006 at 08:16 AM.

The original 300GB Maxline III purchased for my G5 is 7B300S0. The 300GB Maxline III recently added to replace the OEM WD drive is 7L300S0, both on internal SATA. I was thinking of adding a 300GB 7V300F0 to my new Granite Alum SATA case since I have an extra tray. I have an email into George at FirmTek with all of the specifics, G5 model, Granite case, and SeriTek/1VE4 controller. Sounds like I should just forget about it however. k

Lightbulb Maxtor One-Touch

three older Maxtor One-Touch external drives with 250GB disks inside.

I broke the seals and removed two of the drives and installed them in an OWC dual-disk enclosure, which stripes them into a 500GB volume. That works fine. I then tried to install some spare 200GB disks into the One-Touch enclosures, and Disk Utility reports them as 128GB drives. Hmm - it can't be the enclosure, because they previously had 250GB disks inside.

However, when I removed the 200GB disks and installed them in a G4 Mac with an Acard ATA controller (which works fine with other 200GB disks), they STILL report as 128GB drives, and nothing I can do will change that.

Here's the nefarious part - according to others online, Maxtor enclosures will reset the drive's Logical block addressing (LBA) limit to 28-bit, *permanently*.

Here's a discussion:
    http://forums.storagereview.net/inde...howtopic=22403

So far this problem seems unresolved. I now have some high-capacity disks limited to 128GB because they touched a OneTouch enclosure. Is there any hack to reset the disks?
    Last edited by TZ; 07-09-2007 at 08:14 AM.