Thread: G4/533 wont boot after ethernet conection??

Confused G4/533 wont boot after ethernet conection??

I just tried doing a file share from my G4/1.2 iBook to my G4/533. When I tried to restart I get the message
    "/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory -sh-2.05b#"
    In over 10 years I've never seen such a message? I'm visiting my daughter out of town and want to share some pics with her and had been told how easy it was to do by ethernet. Not! I just sent her to buy me my 10th 1394 cable but I need to get her computer to boot again!
    Any help would be greatly appreacheated!!
    Thanks!
    Ken

I gave that a try and some how my intire profile was deleted.
    What I was aptempting was to back up my iBook on my PowerMac. I have a disc error on my iBook and can't repair it with disc utilities from the OS discs. It would seem the Apple has installed some kind of copy gaurd with the latest update 10.4.10. A month ago before going on vacation I set up my Powermac 533 to use as only a back up for my iBook 1.2. I simply connected them with a 1394 cable, started my iBook in target disc mode and coppied one drive over to the other. I tried doing this again yesterday and ran into all kinds of problems with permissions and being told an alies that I found out was in iPhoto wouldn't allow me to simple copy one drive to the other anymore.
    Is there a way to simply copy one drive to the other still? I want to copy my iBook drive to my PowerMac then format hopefully repairing my iBook drive and then copy it back.
    Thanks for any help!
    Ken

How have you been doing your copy? SuperDuper seems to be one of the better ways to do this.

A really useful tool is applejack. Download it and you can startup in Single-User Mode (command S at startup). Type in applejack use manual method with items 1, 2 3, & 5.

I'm not use this will address your problem but it will be useful. Someone will come along with what maybe the answer to you problem.

Good Luck

I use a FW400 drive to backup my wife's iBook G4 via SuperDuper. I also use DiskWarrior 4.0 which I have on both the internal drive and the FW400 drive so that I can boot to either drive and run DW on the drive not booted to.

Like yeungfeng I use applejack in the manual mode. 10.4.10 did do something at the file level but I only noticed it with SoftRAID until they came out with a new version. Also use Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk in the same way. k

Very Cool! AppleJack did the trick! Thanks!!!

I use to connect my 2 Macs via firewire and start one in target disc mode. Then simply copy the contents of one hard drive to the other. I just did it with no problems back in May but since the 10.4.10 update it no longer works so simply.

SuperDuper did the trick. Cool and again Thanks!

Last and original problem : My 6 mth old $200 battery in my iBook seems to be dead. I was hoping it was in the damaged part of the disc but had a feeling maybe not! I'm useing it now with the AC adapter.

coconutBattery says the battery is at -1 mAh.
    Original battery capacity 4000 mAh
    Current battery capacity 4898
    Loadcycles 123
    Charger connected: Yes
    Battery is charging: No

Any idea?

Ken

6 months old.......still under warranty?

Either the battery is dead/bad, or the ibook is not charging it. Without another known-working ibook....how to test?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes still under warranty! But I'm out of town without receipt! Will deal with later I guess. iGo charger died today. When it rains it pours.. Murphys law I expect! Thankfully I did get my PowerMac backed up so I'm still alive, partly, lol!