Thread: Weird Finder Issue.

Rolleyes Weird Finder Issue.

Hi,

I'm working on a friends iBook Clamshell, running OS X Tiger and have a really strange problem which I hope someone may be able to shed some light on. The operating system boots no problem, and I am able to move around and use applications as per normal. However, when I attempt to restart or shut-down the computer through the Menu, it simply goes to blue screen and then relaunches the finder. Sometimes it even returns me to the Login Window. I tried trashing finder prefs, rebuilding the directory and even creating a new user to see if it was user or system related. It appears to be system related. Short of an archive and install, are there any other options I could try..?

Thankyou in advance,
    Regards,
    Ben.

Lightbulb

Things to try:

Disable 3rd party startup items and background processes.
    Applejack
    FSCK
    Safe Boot
    Disk Warrior. Don't rely on or trust Disk Utility to find every error.
    Backup + Erase + Restore (forget the A&I method)

Not enough free space? less than 10% free?

When was the drive last reformatted?
    maybe time to zero the drive or replace?

Thankyou TZ for such a quick reply.

I am in the process of installing a new hard disk into this clamshell, and I was trying to repair the problem on the existing hard disk so I could simply clone the repaired system once installed. Is it possible that I could clone it anyway, or do you think I would simply be cloning an already corrupted system?
    I tried D/Warrior, fsck and junking a few prefs all with no success. The system seems to boot ok and even behave reasonably well until it comes time to reboot or shutdown. SMART status is verified so the logistics appear to be ok. Maybe a completely fresh install with the New Hard Disk is in order.. Your thoughts..?

Regards,
    Ben.

TZ,

Sorry I forgot to mention that it IS the original 10Gb I believe and the last time it was reformatted I do not know. Probably a while I ago I would think.
    Im putting in a New 40Gb Fujitsu.

Regards,
    Ben.

Lightbulb

My guess is 10GB just doesn't cut it with Tiger.

Old for a laptop drive. And OS X probably needs a minimum 4GB free.

Quote Originally Posted by harvester View Post
    ...Im putting in a New 40Gb Fujitsu.
    Hi Ben. I'd be interested to know how that goes. I have a Clamshell with a 3GB drive which ain't enough! Also, since my Clamshell has no DVD drive, how do I get Tiger onto it?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

TZ,

I must admit, I havent looked to see how much space he has left. Im so used to working with Larger Hard Disks that it completely slipped my mind.
    Might be onto something there..! I'll be backing up his data anyhow so maybe a fresh restore to the new disk will fix everything. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll let you know how I go.

Regards,
    Ben.

Hi Biggles,

Yeah, 3Gb wouldnt get you Panther let alone Tiger. If you have a firewire clamshell, you could always target disk mode install off a machine with a DVD Drive. Failing that Tiger can be purchased in Cd's (Pack of 4) I know that they offered the Cd's originally, but I'm not too sure how you would find them if apple don't supply them anymore. If you only have a USB Clamshell, then I guess Target Disk mode is out of the question. Its the same as any computer I guess. If you really really want it, youll find a way....lol.
    One thing is for certain though. You will definitely need a hard disk bigger than 3Gb.

Regards,
    Ben.

Hi Biggles,

40Gb Hard Disk in a Clamshell is not a problem at all. Ive installed a few over the last few years. If you really wanted to, you could probably install a Combo Drive (internal) into your machine. It will work but you obviously won't have the correct Cd bezel, but thats not a big deal. The graphics chip in the Clamshell will read DVD. The one I'm currently working on is the Graphite 466 Mhz so it has a DVD Optical Drive to begin with. But I have experimented with the earlier models too. Obviously you would need to max out the ram. The Clamshell will take a 512 SO DIMM successfully. Good Luck.

Regards,
    Ben.

No Firewire on this one. Panther runs OK. This would only really ever be an internet terminal, so speed is not of the essence, and Panther does run OK. I do have Tiger retail DVD's, and being an Honest Joe it's the 5-user Family Pack. I wonder how I might use those DVD's to install Tiger on the ol' Clamshell?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

And you can always try to reinstall the OS Combination Updater, either now or after you clone the system. Always safe, sometimes fixes stuff.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi Biggles,

The only options you have are to install the OS onto a Hard Disk outside of the Clamshell. (Depends on how comfy you are in pulling a Clamshell apart) or hunting around for a really cheap 466 Graphite. All you really need is a working DVD Rom. The DVD Rom from a 466 will work in your machine. I have tried this already in a 300 Mhz Blueberry.
    Something to think about.....