Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iMac with OS 8.6

Default iMac with OS 8.6

Gurus,

This may be too small a problem for you guys, but let me ask the question anyway. Is there some sort of utility that can sort through the folders on this old computer, and get stuff back into workable condition.

The computer belongs to my aged mother, 95 years old. She does email and very little other internet searching. She uses netscape 6.2 as her browser. Otherwise she uses Reunion 7, a genealogy program with which she is composing her family history. She is pretty afraid of screwing up the computer by trying stuff, but when she talks to the geeks that provide her email service, she understands nearly everything they tell her. Her brain works very well.

But her email service is all screwed up.

We think it started when my sister tried to upgrade Netscape to 7.0.2 or something. Apparantly 7.0.2 does not work with OS 8.6.

I reinstalled Netscape 6.2 and things seemed to work okay for a week or so. Then her email supplier sold out to another company, and since then, she has had trouble with her email.

I went through the stuff on her Hard Drive to try to get it a bit organized, but I found stuff all over the place and I think from time to time she moves stuff into folders where it does not belong, accidentally , because she really does not pay attention to where something gets stored when she does, "save as."

I have a copy of OS 9. I have thought I would upgrade her OS, but I do not want to do it with stuff so screwed up. I do not really know if OS 9 would be any better for her anyway.

It is a second generation iMac, trayloading, but without firewire. I think we got it in 1999. It is not upgradeable to OSX.

I think if I could find a utility that would get essential stuff back into their natural folders, she could continue to do her email and genealogy and it would work okay until she does not need it any more. I cannot find that Main Menu (the utility) has an 8.6 version. Please advise. MX

Default Go for OSX

MX,
    I would install Panther, no reason not too, upgrade your memory any thing over 128 would be fine but the more the merrier. It should handle two 256 chips. The tray loader iMacs use 144 pin so dimms commonly used in notebooks thru PB G4.
    I set My Mom up with her first computer a few years ago, and upgraded her to a Strawberry iMac running 10.3 Panther last year.
    MAke sure you have software she uses has a OSX version or you can always run classic.

let us know how it goes.
    Bob

I would be very cautious about upgrading to OSX. I know some of the iMacs can die if you don't do it right i.e. firmware updates etc. Unclemac knows the deal. OS 9 should be fine if all her apps are OK with it.

Getting everything back where it belongs could be quite a task if she's just been putting stuff everywhere although if she's only using a couple apps it shouldn't be hopeless. Don't know of any utilities to do that though. You'll probably just have to wade in there, and clean it up manually.

If she's gonna be using it for a while longer maybe consider getting her a newer/larger/faster drive, and teaching her a bit about the fine art of OS 9 file management.

Thanks M I forgot about the firmware update. been a while since I did it. Being comfortable with the operating system is a big deal for some and OS 9 may be the best choice.

I am okay with going through her folders and trying to get stuff back where it should be, but I do not have a template to know what items go where. You know, who cares if the letter to Uncle Dave is in the system folder, but if a system nicety is hiding in Reunion 7, how do I know it does not belong there?

Is there any particular reason to upgrade to OS 9? Will it make any difference for her. Part of the problem is that the email provider, and a website called Ancestry, are requiring greater security than what Netscape 6.2 provides. One techie told me that Netscape 7.0.2 requires OSX, and that seems to be where the web techies want her to be.

Any further help will be appreciated. mx

Been a long time since I did 9 or back, but yes, overall, 9 (you'd wanna get to at least 9.1) is better overall than everything older.

I have to say that if it were me, I would byte the bullet and get a new(er) Mac and get her to at least 10.3. Even a late model G3 slot load imac would be OK, and can be had for pretty cheap. The older tray load imacs are a pain to get 10 running on, are slow, and..........yes without jumping through some firmware updates, 10.2 and later can kill them. Really.

Your time is worth more than any G3 imac you can find.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default imac trayloaders

Hello mholt,
    I still love those old iMac trayloaders.
    They are hard to kill, and may be the machine that saved Apple's butt.
    I have several I have donated to others who are not computer literate,
    and they love them.( some running Panther, some running OS9.1 )
    I personally refused to upgrade from OS8.6 for years, and then refused to upgrade to OSX for years.
    In retrospect OS9.1 is much better than 8.6,
    and Panther is much more solid than OS9 but a bit strange to get used to for Mac users.
    Yes, upgrading OS 8.6 to OS9 will need a firmware update that is a bit strange involving the programmer reset button.
    after that moving to OSX is pretty easy.
    RAM is important in both OS's.
    One of the hardest things to teach someone is to name and save ther files so they can find them.
    Happy to help here or email me personally.

Dave
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mholt View Post
    I am okay with going through her folders and trying to get stuff back where it should be, but I do not have a template to know what items go where. You know, who cares if the letter to Uncle Dave is in the system folder, but if a system nicety is hiding in Reunion 7, how do I know it does not belong there?

Is there any particular reason to upgrade to OS 9? Will it make any difference for her. Part of the problem is that the email provider, and a website called Ancestry, are requiring greater security than what Netscape 6.2 provides. One techie told me that Netscape 7.0.2 requires OSX, and that seems to be where the web techies want her to be.

Any further help will be appreciated. mx
    I've been primarily on X for a couple years now, and OS 9 was getting iffy on a lot of websites back when I made the transistion. The older browsers are just not able to handle a lot of the newer standards especially when it comes to Java and Flash.

I've seen a lot of iMacs lately selling for under $100, and even a few eMacs pop up on craigslist from time-to-time for under $500.

Applications by default usually save to the folder that contains the application. The System Folder at the top level contains mostly folders with a few system-related files. Any text or html documents in there would likely be suspect. I have a very basic install of 9 on my Mac, and can post a screen-shot of the contents of my 9 system folder if it would help.

Many shared librarys will happily live in the folder for the application they support. If a critical system file or extention was misplaced like that the system would let you know.

My sister is a Mac user from way back, and very familiar with Reunion. I'm sure she'd be willing to help out if I asked.

Not to push you too far down the OS X road, but...

If anybody is going that way for a parent or grandparent that just wants simple mail and web access (as simple as possible) I really like managed accounts on an OS X. Easy for the user, safe from virus, trojan and anything that needs admin access, and hard for the user to break because they only get access to their own directory....so there are not so many places to look for lost stuff.

Heck, you can even give them only simple Finder and make almost like a kiosk.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks you guys. All of this helps a bit.

M.Brane, when I get her back up and running, I will ask that you have your sister contact her. I know that a knowledgable Reunion and mac user would be a great help to her.

I will check out the critical programs she uses, really it is Reunion 7, and see if it is compatible with OSX. Or maybe there is an OSX compatible upgrade. It will be important to be able to transfer the work she has already done in Reunion 7 to whatever we switch to. She has a zip drive for backups. That is probably a good way to move her files.

If that is doable, then I will find an OSX imac. I am starting to see them around at around $200 or so. Once I get her converted, I can probably clean up her scrambled files without having to try to sort out the program information.

In terms of newer (than hers) imacs, is there a material difference between the G3 Graphite and the G3 Snow? What do you mean by firmware? mx

Uncle is the iMac guru. I've never owned one myself. They aren't the best for audio work with their small screens, and limited storage options. Don't really see too many G4/G5 iMacs for sale on craigslist. Their owners must be pretty happy with 'em still.

The PM function here is disabled, but if you shoot me an e-mail we can get things rolling when you're ready.

In the meantime you can check out her site: http://www.plumdigital.com/

Hey M.Brane,
    interesting link.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Macaholic View Post
    Hey M.Brane,
    interesting link.

dave
    Yeah, sis is the true artist in the family. I'm just a hack.

Uncle

I have found numerous imacs like my mother's that are newer versions and are upgraded to 0sx.3.9 with 256mb RAM. They are all under $200. Is there any real difference between the imac Snow 600mhz and the imac Graphite 500mhz.

I had a Graphite before I upgraded to the G5. I probably have the original RAM board that came with it because I maxed the ram as soon as I could. I gave it to my kid and he sooped it up to OSX++ and it works fine. Is the Snow any better.

I will probably get it back when the old gal takes the big step, so I just as well pick better, for the future, even though it will not really make any difference to her in her use.

Also, what do you mean by firmware? I assume that means RAM upgrade. Is 256mb enough for word processing and basic email and some web browsing? mx

Not different enough to notice. Check out the specs:

early model 500

late model 600

The biggest difference is that the late model machines have a 16MB video card, while the early ones have 8MB. Not a big difference in day to day work, but with OS X, more is always better, so go for the 600 if the price is about the same.

What is firmware? The late model imacs may have current firmware, but the early ones do need an update. The firmware update is really easy to run, but can be a pain to jump through the hoops to get to the point that you can run it.

Before you worry about it.....once you get your hands on the imac you wanna move forward with, we can verify the ROM version (firmware version). May already be up to date.

256 of RAM will work OK.

Uncle, thanks. I have actually located one right here in river city. If I can get the guy to call me back, I will prefer to go with a machine that does not have to take the airplane ride. And maybe I can get the old gal up and running sooner. When I get it in hand I will take you up on the firmware walk through, and M.Brane on his sisters expertise. Thanks again. mx

Just curious,
    What did you get ?

Dave

Default how do I transfer software?

I got an imac G3 with 600mhz with 386 memory and an airport card. It was loaded with OSX.3. I upgraded to x.3.9, thinking that was required for Reunion 9. It sounded a bit noisy, but once I got it set up at my mother's place, it quieted down.

The internet and email are running with Safari and Mail. Mom contacted PlumDigital and left Sandra an email. Maybe they will connect. She is very unsure of herself.

The old imac does not have firewire. It uses a usb zip drive for a back up drive. Most of her files are backed up on the zip drive. It looks like the Reunion 7 program is also on one of the zip discs.

The Reunion 9 program asked to see the Reunion 7 CD "just once" to verify that 9 is an upgrade, not a new program. I inserted the 7 CD but OSX.+ does not recognize Reunion 7. The new imac does not have os9. I can not figure out how to bring the two together.

I have a set of mac discs with OS9 from a previous computer. Should I try to load it onto the new imac? I did try but I got a message that it did not find a Classic folder to put OS9 in. How do I go this last step? I think I will need Classic in order to transfer the Reunion 7 files to the new imac.

Or is there another way to do this?

Please help me through this one. Thanks, mx

Question Hi,

Hello mholt,
    Please don't take my post as Gospel as I am not an OSX expert.
    I do know my way around OS 8 & 9 well.
    First question, what size is the HD in your new Imac?
    Can it hold both OSX and Classic.
    How much info on the Old iMacs HD ?
    There are many questions and options.
    I think it is easier to install OSX over OS9
    Did you get the OSX install discs with the iMac ?
    Ideally I think you should reformat the drive create a seperate partition on the HD for each OS.
    If not still more options.
    I am testing this tonight...
    I have an Indigo iMac 600, 10.3.9, 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM
    No OS9 / or Classic installed.
    ( a few apps , games I miss there )
    I created a folder on the HD, and named it "Classic"
    I copied an OS9.2.2 system folder into the new folder.
    works great!
    I can choose to boot into OS9.2.2 or OSX using the OSX start-up Disc Control Panel , or back to OSX in the OS9 control panel.
    I am currently transfering OS9 applications etc to the new Classic folder.
    BTW my network hub died so I am using a simple 1 GB flash drive and a 20 GB USB HD for the transfer.
    I hope this helps,
    Probably a better solution, but I am just always learning.

Dave

Talking

Worked fine for me.
    I now have Classic on my OSX drive, all OS9 Apps working.
    without partitioning...
    I'm sure this is a duhh for many users.

Dave