Thread: Applying System Updates

Lightbulb Applying System Updates

Security Update 2007-005

Now available via Software Update:
    Security Update 2007-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components:

bind
    CarbonCore
    CoreGraphics
    crontabs
    fetchmail
    file
    iChat
    mDNSResponder
    PPP
    ruby
    screen
    texinfo
    VPN

Security Update 2007-004 has been incorporated into this security update.
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Update procedure recommendation
    For important recommendations on applying this update, please see the MacFixit guide on "Safely applying system updates."

Getting the update off your Mac If you are experiencing dire issues after applying Security Update 2007-006 cannot be resolved by common workarounds, you may want to uninstall the update.

This can be accomplished via the process outlined in our guide "How to Reinstall the System (Mac OS X)."

Arrow 2007-005

Downloaded from Apple Support/Downloads not Software Update. Applied about ten minutes ago. Machine went through two restarts. I remember one of the major updates did that too, but was it expected with this one? Any one else experienced?

CB.
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

The two restarts thing has been common since about 10.4.6. Saw a blurb on it somewhere.........it is by design. A core component cannot replaced while the machine is running, so rather than have a user boot to a different drive, they use this partial boot method.

Which freaks everybody out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Ok.

But this begs a further question (wouldn't ya know?) My machine has done the double restart for only two of the updates.... The major one (Yup. Think it was 10.4.6) and this one. Are you saying it should have happened with all of 'em since 10.4.6? Cuz if you are, I'm worried!!!!!

CB
    Last edited by Chris Billington; 05-24-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Lightbulb

It can run a command line update_prebinding (which is over in the FAQs).

10.4.9 will, and 10.4.8 would mess up if you applied it while booted from a drive on a RAID and k/p.

I always restart before applying, and half the time, do it from the very drive I used to run Disk Warrior from. Note: Disk Warrior is finding more things to fix since I started using SuperDuper, so I've gone back to CCC 2.3.

Hopefully, 'Gurus will be doing backup + DW before updating their system.

Yeah, sometimes one sees maintenance and update procedures or techniques verge on being urban legends or superstition, but I still think it wise to have your drive squared away and happy before an update. I usually do AppleJack and DW first. Worst thing that happens is I have wasted a little time.

As for the double reboot, I am pretty sure there have been a couple since the first 10.4.6, but it may depend on whether you did Combo vs. Delta updates, etc.

Short story: don't worry....if your Mac needs to reboot twice, it will. If it doesn't, it won't.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Cool

Very supportive and reassuring. Feasible explanation. Still a slave of the rural dial-up in Loma Mar California this end. Therefore it's really unpredictable whether the connection will hold on-line for 20 hours or whatever it might take to download a full combo update, which I have managed to do on occasion but certainly not always. Darn it.

Onwards.

CB

Lightbulb

Outside of going somewhere (Apple Stores, friend, work) where you can take a DVD or CD and burn the updates to take home that really hurts to be on dial-up even for a "small tiny update" of only 30MB!

I put all the updates on DVD and snail mail to my brother. (I also found some good KB articles and part of why I've gathered up tips on upgrading, to help him with his first Mac experience.)

Learning by mistakes. There are always a *ton* of messages after these updates that "it killed my system" and FUD. What they usually have in common: lack of using Disk Warrior; backup/clone; used their computer to listen to iTunes and other things while it was running; didn't restart before using.

Some find they have to re-run the combo update after using the small delta update (makes sense for slow dial-up to go with delta). I just grab combo updates now and only use those. More thorough and complete.

Lots of urban legends.

When MacUser etc could offer their subscribers a CD included in their issue with shareware and OS updates from Apple.... well, I doubt users and Apple could get around the need for distribution method. User groups use to charge or "exchange" blank floppies for Apple disks. I paid $100 easily in CompuServe fees to download over-night 4-5 high-density floppies to have OS 7.

Lightbulb Mac Pro 8-Core

The prior 2007-004 Security Update resulted in "about this Mac" showing

"Unknown" is now back to normal after this 2007-005 update.

"2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon"

Cool

Shortly after I bought my G5, Apple announced the switch to Intel processors. At the time I had mixed feelings about it. I was very pleased with the machine I was running, but regretted in some ways my timing. Now, I look at the relative sizes of the updates.... For example; 10.4.9, PPC Combo 163MB, Intel Combo 310MBS. !!!!!!!!!!! The Dell on my desk at work will read CD discs, but won't write. Even if it would write, would a CD made on it read on my G5?

Doomed I say! Doomed!! So.........

By the way, I cultivate all the good habits I learned through association with the Gurus........ Consistant backups, Applejack, Disc Warrior, Onyx and/or Tiger Cache Cleaner, so there aren't usually any problems I can't fix. Thanks one and all.

CB

Lightbulb

Chris,

Some people use a USB card reader, such as 2GB SD Memory card. Should work fine. That would help I'm sure.

I upgraded my old modem to ML-PPP dual-link just to get 9k (and pay for two dial-up accounts).

Only once did Apple 'sell' a CD update, 10.2.5, which 'broke' USB hub (keyboard) and was a small disaster. Did they include other updates with the CD? like QuickTime and iTunes - gotta feed the cash cow. But not much, and it was $25. Quarterly subscription update? tie it into a Dot.Mac account so you get more for your $99???

Can you 'upgrade' your Dell to CDRW?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post

Some people use a USB card reader, such as 2GB SD Memory card. Should work fine. That would help I'm sure.
    Interesting.

Only once did Apple 'sell' a CD update, 10.2.5, which 'broke' USB hub (keyboard) and was a small disaster. Did they include other updates with the CD? like QuickTime and iTunes - gotta feed the cash cow. But not much, and it was $25. Quarterly subscription update? tie it into a Dot.Mac account so you get more for your $99??
    This is an idea I like very very much. $99 for what already?!!?

Can you 'upgrade' your Dell to CDRW?
    Not an option I am afraid. Please don't get me started on the company IT clowns.

CB