Thread: What size?

Question What size?

Question today for me too...

Have a 10.4.8 Server that has about 30GB of space missing....or rather something is occupying the missing space. Whatsize and OmniDiskSweeper don't see the mystery files, so how to see? Any other known tools that might help? I have even looked at all of the invisible directories manually, and can't find any that appear too big....

These mystery files survive a direct cloning with SuperDuper or CCC, and the time to clone seems to reflect that the files are there, so I don't think it is a Finder bug.

Any ideas?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

30GB!?! That's a lot.

Does Server work like client in keeping installer packages? /Library/Packages. Might take a look in there, first thing that comes to mind with that much space.

If it were smaller, I'd think maybe is was some sort of temp/log files consuming lots of space. The app I use to check for those is TinkerTool System (by the same guy who made TinkerTool): the Clean Up section. The nice thing is using the option to "Display Analysis Before Deleting anything"; so you can see what's what and not even delete it. It's a paid app, but you can demo it.

Not sure it works for Server. But might worth giving it a shot at least to see the size the caches and logs are consuming.

Yeah, weird.

Not too many tools run on Server, but TTS and Maintenance both do. Tried cleaning up everything that they will do, but no change.

Been watching it for a while, and it's not growing, so not a threat at this point, but it sure makes cloning a PITA. Should only be about 8.5 GB (all shared data is on an external iSCSI box), but it is 40GB.

It grew when the box was running either 10.4.5 or .6, and has been sitting ever since. I remember TZ pointing out that WhatSize did not look in one the hidden directories, so stuff can hide there, but ODS saw everything.......or so I thought. Guess not.

Only really used as a file server, with SMB and AFP clients, although NetBoot is on.........maybe that is a clue......hmmm, will hunt around. A stumper.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-20-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Fire off an email feedback to OmniGroup, they always respond.

ODS looks under /Volumes which WhatSize would not.

You can also (in Tiger Client anyway) use Path Finder 4.x+ to dig around and has a number of tools to assist.

Path Finder lets you sort things, something lacking from ODS which makes it hard if you have a lot of large buried directories.

Hey Matt,

Want to poke around from the command line? Check this out.

The command there as stated doesn't work in OS X Client since there isn't an --l option, but

du -ks * | sort -nr

does list the size of files/folders by size in the working directory. (Can also replace the asterisk (*) with a path instead of having this done on the working directory). May help narrow things down a bit.

Thumbs up

Cool, thanks for the tips fellasz.

In San Francisco right now, will give er' a whirl when I get back to the engine room on Monday.

Thumbs up Found it.

In hindsight, makes sense.....at least I know what and why they were there, but I am still stumped why the files were invisible.

Turned out to be a bunch of old .dmg files that were buried down in the the private directory afterall...... disk images and application images for use with Radmind server. The correct location, just forgot they were there as we switched to Casper as a replacement for Radmind some time back.

Why would they not show up for either ODS or WhatSize? Dunno. Weird.

Down to ~9 GB for the boot drive. Case closed.