Thread: Giga 1.8Ghz: OS9.2 Crashes, Everything Else Fine!!!

Default Giga 1.8Ghz: OS9.2 Crashes, Everything Else Fine!!!

Strangely enough, this is what's going on. I bought the 1.8 from Macgurus aprox. 2 month ago, installed it in my Quicksilver 867, without even a hiccup, and proceeded to do other things, not using my computer too much. I bought Logic Pro, Duende, Tiger OS, 2 new DVI 23" monitors, a new dual monitor graphics card. After happily putting all this stuff together (I had yet to try OS 9), including installing Tiger, I began to try installing Panther on another partition. That's when the trouble began. It would not boot off the Panther OS disk. Then, after deciding to install Panther on a different drive altogether, I tried to start-up on one of the partitions in OS 9. It loaded all the extentions and then right at the very end of the OS 9 progress bar, it stopped. Then the same thing happened when pulling drives, all drives. I pulled EVERY drive and installed the original drive that came with the Quicksilver and I have the exact same behavior: extentions load then at the last 1/8" of the progress bar, it stalls. I've tried booting with the extentions off several times. The progress bar goes to the very end as if everything is fine, but no desktop, it just freezes at the end of the progress bar.

FYI, once, during one part of this trouble shooting process, it magically started up again in Tiger (before I started pulling drives).

I'm going to zap my pram this morning.

I haven't bothered Giga about this since I just got started with trouble shooting.

Interesting stuff!

After zapping pram, no longer hear start-up sound... blank screen... tried the following:

1) option-command-shift-delete to find start-up disk

2) start-up with OS 10 Panther, got as far as crossed-out circle

3) start-up with OS 9, holding c key, boot does not even begin.

4) start-up with different hard drive... blank screen

5) start-up with Apple Hardware Test, holding c key... blank screen.

Towel tossed in.

left message with Giga Designs.

Lightbulb

OS 9 probably needs an "enabler" type extension. To be installed first before swapping cpu, or swap cpu back.

I would never recommend Panther, or using it after installing Tiger.

For OS 9, can you use it in Tiger as "Classic?"

I am sure it came with a manual, or pdf on CD and should be on their web site, as well as our own - either Store or the Guide for Giga CPU Upgrade.
    http://www.macgurus.com/guides/giga_da/part1.php

I tried to Spam URLs. I am completely retarded. People like me should know better than to try and Troll these forums. I should be tarred, feathered, and beaten with the moron stick. I am utterly incompetent and have no life. If you have been caught in our spam filter by mistake, please accept our sincere apology. Please contact us and we'll apologize in person.

Quote Originally Posted by uraniumwilly View Post
    I tried to Spam URLs. I am completely retarded. People like me should know better than to try and Troll these forums. I should be tarred, feathered, and beaten with the moron stick. I am utterly incompetent and have no life. If you have been caught in our spam filter by mistake, please accept our sincere apology. Please contact us and we'll apologize in person.
    Why was the text of my response removed and this bullshit put in it's place?

Sorry, the spam filter catches certain things, unfortunately sometimes incorrectly. One of the things that triggers it is post count and posting URLs. You should see the crap that gets posted if we don't have a filter. Nasty, yucky, sick and crooked are the simplest way to describe them.

At this point you actually can post URLs, past the minimum now.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

OK, I'll type it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post
    OS 9 probably needs an "enabler" type extension. To be installed first before swapping cpu, or swap cpu back.
    I was thinking the same thing. While looking at the Giga docs, maybe I misunderstook "Enable OS 9 during startup" as an option for the firmware.

I would never recommend Panther, or using it after installing Tiger.
    Is there a problem with installing an older OS on another partition or drive per my explanation? I need to experiment with different configs in order to get my recording rig hooked up.

For OS 9, can you use it in Tiger as "Classic?"
    The Tiger OS disc won't boot now. I may stick the Tiger hard disk back in and see what happens.

I am sure it came with a manual, or pdf on CD and should be on their web site, as well as our own - either Store or the Guide for Giga CPU Upgrade.
    http://www.macgurus.com/guides/giga_da/part1.php
    [/quote]

Right, I've been reading it. I was thinking about putting the giga disc back in and going through the firmware process again, enable OS 9 start-up, but I didn't want to do anything without speaking to a giga tech. I called, but got an answering machine.

Thanks for responding.

I believe the OS9 patch is a PRAM setting. When PRAM gets reset it goes away and needs to be reinstalled. The Firmware does not need reinstalling, that is permanent on the motherboard. Only the patch needs reinstalling.

Your methods are good, I especially like it when we are thinking: "how can I simplify while I test?". You are doing that well. Pick an OS to get running under and get it running perfectly. Then go to adding the others as needed.

You might also try an Open Firmware reset, before you apply the OS9 patch again. In case that is one you have never done:

Hold the COmmand+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and the computer will restart. This resets the motherboard and devices. No downside to it at all.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hey Rick and uraniumwilly,

The single OS X Giga application I used when I updated my Cube actually did / does two things:

1. Upgrade / modify the firmware (so these particular G4 CPU can be seen)

2. Modify the PRAM for startup in 9.x.

These as Rick mentioned are two separate things. When installing the Giga upgrade for the very time, for OS X (only), one only needs to do (1). But to actually boot 9.x you would need to do (1) and (2) -- again when you first installed the Giga. Once you perform (1), there's no need to do that again -- for 9.x or X.

Now as indicated by Rich, (2) is a patch in PRAM, so when you zap the PRAM the modificaiton goes way. So you need to run the Giga OS X application have have redo the PRAM patch / mod if you want to startup in 9.x. It's called "Native Mac OS 9 Booting Support". See p.2 of Firmware Upgrade Installation Guide here. You need to activate that.

You only need to do the part for the PRAM again, which is innocuous since that can always be eliminated by zapping the PRAM.

Also bear in mind that in 9.x there you need to remove the Multiprocessing Folder -- at least it was the 7447 Cube upgrade. That needs to be pulled if you happened to reinstall 9.x. Again see p.2 of the Guide.

Lightbulb

I use to have to type a command in Open Firmware to disable debug from true to false in order to use Adaptec 39160 if I wanted to boot.

Isn't there a way, rather than run a "patch" for PRAM that you could just drop into OF and do the same thing??

I prefer to keep different family of OS on different drives. They can modify boot blocks and the older system doesn't know what the later version does it needs. Also, nvram gets written to a hidden partition on the drive.

Now is a good time to install Tiger, now that it has reached 10.4.9 stage and feels complete and smoother. Panther was a quilt or patchwork and felt "cobbled together" but never whole or complete.

You ought to see what happens if you want or try to put XP and Vista on the same drive (different partitions) and hoops to jump through to get boot manager to work. Nasty.

Sometimes if you freeze at end of startup, it is an extension, and you might try a Safe Boot or "disable extensions" with shift key down. With OS X is does a minor repair and check.

I hope that you have OS 9 on its own partition too, rather than sharing a partition.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I believe the OS9 patch is a PRAM setting. When PRAM gets reset it goes away and needs to be reinstalled. The Firmware does not need reinstalling, that is permanent on the motherboard. Only the patch needs reinstalling.

I'm assuming I can't use the giga cd before the os boots...?

Your methods are good, I especially like it when we are thinking: "how can I simplify while I test?". You are doing that well. Pick an OS to get running under and get it running perfectly. Then go to adding the others as needed.
    Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Luckily I'm not in the middle of a bunch of work, and I have my trusty laptop.

You might also try an Open Firmware reset, before you apply the OS9 patch again. In case that is one you have never done:

Hold the COmmand+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and the computer will restart. This resets the motherboard and devices. No downside to it at all.

Rick
    I'm happy to have learned this from you, and it seems like a great idea. Unfortunately, at the first command prompt set-defaults, I got "unknown name"

I went ahead and did the rest, seemingly successfully... the computer did indeed reboot, but I still have the blank screen.

Thanks for trying to help. It's much appreciated. I still haven't received a call from giga. I'll call them again.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Hey Rick and uraniumwilly,

The single OS X Giga application I used when I updated my Cube actually did / does two things:

1. Upgrade / modify the firmware (so these particular G4 CPU can be seen)

2. Modify the PRAM for startup in 9.x.

These as Rick mentioned are two separate things. When installing the Giga upgrade for the very time, for OS X (only), one only needs to do (1). But to actually boot 9.x you would need to do (1) and (2) -- again when you first installed the Giga. Once you perform (1), there's no need to do that again -- for 9.x or X.

Now as indicated by Rich, (2) is a patch in PRAM, so when you zap the PRAM the modificaiton goes way. So you need to run the Giga OS X application have have redo the PRAM patch / mod if you want to startup in 9.x. It's called "Native Mac OS 9 Booting Support". See p.2 of Firmware Upgrade Installation Guide here. You need to activate that.

You only need to do the part for the PRAM again, which is innocuous since that can always be eliminated by zapping the PRAM.

Also bear in mind that in 9.x there you need to remove the Multiprocessing Folder -- at least it was the 7447 Cube upgrade. That needs to be pulled if you happened to reinstall 9.x. Again see p.2 of the Guide.
    Thanks Eric, for all the tips. Much appreciated. Sure glad I zapped the pram! I do these things out of habit, in terms of just trying a bunch of stuff for trouble-shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post
    I
    I prefer to keep different family of OS on different drives. They can modify boot blocks and the older system doesn't know what the later version does it needs. Also, nvram gets written to a hidden partition on the drive.
    This seems like good advice. It's pretty weird though, that suddenly I can't boot off any drive... that it won't find OS X, except for the one time at the beginning that it freakishly rebooted into Tiger.

Now is a good time to install Tiger, now that it has reached 10.4.9 stage and feels complete and smoother. Panther was a quilt or patchwork and felt "cobbled together" but never whole or complete.

You ought to see what happens if you want or try to put XP and Vista on the same drive (different partitions) and hoops to jump through to get boot manager to work. Nasty.
    Yeah, sounds like a real headache.

Sometimes if you freeze at end of startup, it is an extension, and you might try a Safe Boot or "disable extensions" with shift key down. With OS X is does a minor repair and check.
    Yeah, I did this many times in OS 9, but I didn't know it did minor repairs in OS X. Good to know.

I hope that you have OS 9 on its own partition too, rather than sharing a partition.
    Right, I'd never put two OS's on the same drive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm back in the saddle. Tim, from giga, although vacationing in Hawaii, took my call, recommended I replace the Tiger hard drive, and press the option key during boot-up, choose the tiger OS and then procede to remove the "cpu plugins" folder and patch any drive that I wish OS 9 to boot from.

He also said I'd need to reinstall the 867 cpu if I want to install an early version of Panther.

It would be cooler to build an updated version of Panther. This I will investigate.

Thanks again to all who responded to my little problem.

Best,

U.