Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trouble with old PowerBook

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    After the new system was loaded did you try Migration Assistant? It seems to work pretty well also.
    Yes, I mentioned that in one of my (many) posts but it didn't work too well for some reason. I started up Migration Assistant, and checked off for it to migrate from another machine, since my backup was on an external FW drive. That didn't work, because MA told recognized that there was no other machine connected by FireWire at the time. So then I checked to migrate from another volume on this mac, and when the next screen came up, I was able to SEE my backup volume, and it was checked (selected), but the "Continue" or "Migrate" button was gray and so I was unable to select it. So that didn't work too well. I even quit MA and launched it again in an effort to make it work, but it wouldn't. Don't know why. So there are several things that happened in this process that I don't understand, and can't figure out. But then that's a lot like Life in general...

I've heard that SuperDuper is good, but I've never had trouble with CarbonCopyCloner making bootable backups, although I've never had to do a complete restore from one of them until now. Would love to figure out why it wouldn't work going back the other way (from a functioning bootable clone).

EDIT: I just checked the CarbonCopyCloner forum, and should have done that before now.. it might have saved me a lot of trouble. I already was following almost all of their advice, but they mention that when having trouble, it's advisable to NOT copy the volume b-tree and the Spotlight-V100 files, as they are volume specific and will be recreated automatically when needed. That might have been the problem keeping me from being able to boot to the new internal disk. Don't know why it would work to boot from an external with those included but not from a new internal, but then maybe that's just one of Life's little mysteries that don't have to make sense to a dumb guy like me. But I'm going to bet that would have fixed it all.

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Cheers and Beers.
    jb
    Last edited by jb; 04-22-2007 at 11:26 AM.
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

Every thing's going rolling along very smoothly with this new Momentus disk, except for one thing. Every time the machine wakes from sleep, the whole thing stays locked up for a full 31 seconds before I can do anything. It never used to do that with my old (original) slow disk. A friend of mine has the very same drive in the very same PB, and he insists that his system instantly wakes from sleep. Why not mine?

Just to clarify: the monitor wakes immediately, but I can't do any work until after waiting 31 seconds. The cursor will move, but I can't enter text any where. The Airport signal meter (in the menu bar) stays dim that entire time. I can't open a new browser window. During that 31 second interval I can make ONE change of windows in Finder, and the program title in the menu bar will switch, but I can't do anything in the application I've switched to. And I can't switch BACK to the previous application.

Is there something stupid I've missed in the new system install/update I've done? Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks.
    jb

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

Default Brand spanking new clean install ?

Sorry I have not read through all the previous posts since your most recent post today, but I have one question: have you considered just starting fresh with a new install? Then check to see if your wake from sleep problem is gone and if it is, copy only the files and applications you need. I think this is the technique I am going to employ when I upgrade my powerbook drive. I have an Al 15 inch 1.5 GHz with the stock Apple 80 GB and plan to go for the 160 GB 5400 rpm.
    I took a look at some of your previous posts and it looks like you did a clean install but them some type of migration or archive and install. If that is the case, you may have transferred something that could be causing issues.
    Otherwise, I am guessing that the processor or power supply just takes longer to spin up the faster drive??? Doesn't seem like Apple would build it that way but the machine was not originally built with a 7200 rpm drive in mind. Just guessing now.
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Hi Bif. Yes, I did do a clean install at one point when I was having issues getting the machine to boot. Once I determined that it would boot with a clean install (and with nothing else on the drive) I cloned everything from the backup again, then did an Archive and Install over the old system.

The reason I really don't want to just do a clean install is... TIME. Time to get everything reinstalled. That's time that I just don't have. And I'd really rather not invest that time only to find that it wasn't the problem after all. On the other hand, perhaps it is the problem.. how about some other opinions on this??

About your comment on the machine/drive combo causing this... that's always a possibility, but note that I mentioned a friend who has exactly the same machine I do, who has installed exactly the same hard drive and he does NOT have this delay problem when waking from sleep.

Lightbulb

Once you do a clean install, clone your system (a couple times, to disk drives, and to disk image).

A clean install might still be able to import your applications.

Having all your user files backed up those can just be merged or imported (migrated) as well.

The essential is to wipe/erase/zero the drive and get back to a bare partition as much as anything.

Deep cleaning caches and temp files can help. SuperDuper at least will skip copying those files which get recreated.

An Archive * Install has its own set of possible problems, and you may not have a 100% solid drive directory / file system.

As much as I trust Disk Warrior (file tests, directory rebuild, scavenge a drive) if there have been problems, crashes, failure to launch... quick fixes often take longer to figure out and fix.

Just curious....

Have you tried different sleep settings? What happens if you set the HD not to spin down, then sleep/wake the PB.......still get a long pause?

You might try removing the old pref file so the system generates a new one, just in case the current one is wonky. File path:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Set aside that plist file aside and the system will generate a new one when you adjust the Energy settings. Leave the directory open and you will see the new file appear. Then you can rule out a corrupt/damaged preference.

Then test and see if you see any difference on your wake time.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin