Thread: New (used) G5, new (cpu) problems...

Default New (used) G5, new (cpu) problems...

Hey Gurus!

I purchased a 2.5 G5 with 4 GB RAM with a year or so of Applecare. The previous owner put in a fresh WD 500GB hard drive. Since this seemed like the perfect scratch disk, I purchased a 74GB 10k Raptor to use as the system disk. After installing two OSs, one on each drive to backup, we bought the FC studio upgrade package. Installing it has proven impossible. The custom install screen pops up with FCP and Motion designated "skip." The button that controls the operation is unresponsive. Though they had no record of a similar problem, Apple advised us to wipe the drives and reinstall from the OS DVD. My partner and I decided to write zeros, but then he was spooked when he saw the time estimate on the 500GB, and force quit out of DU. The disk was erased, and operates "normally" but in DU now the disk will not unmount to verify or repair. And we still have the same problem with FC Studio, and only on this machine. The DVDs loaded fine on the G4.

So...ever dealt with this Final Cut issue? My guess is hardware: Logic Board, DVD drive, or RAM. Calling Apple tomorrow again. I crawled the forums for "could not unmount disk", but missed a post with a definitive answer: is this drive fried? My partner said DU gave that sort of warning.

You folks are a miraculous resource. I'm saving my pennies for 8GB of Gurus RAM.

Lightbulb

Is your G5 the Quad? is the Raptor 8 or 16MB Cache? I would have wanted a larger boot drive, and/or used a pair of 500GB drives even. Older G5s (that don't have PCI Express) can't use the new 16MB Raptors.

The estimates on erase zero-all are never accurate but it should take about 90 minutes. Never good to kill it. Is this the RE2 or SE16 WD?

A boot drive takes a while when you ask to verify it (obviously you can't repair an active boot drive).

It's a dual 2.5 with PCI-X. 500GB scratch disk is the Caviar RE2. The Raptor is the WD740DFD. Is this incompatible? Could it be causing the Final Cut problem? I was zeroing the drives as targets via firewire with my G4.

What drive configuration do you recommend? I thought the raptor system disk, with a back up OS on the 500GB scratch, since I have few apps. All my files are stored on the scratch drive.

Lightbulb

OWC still sells the older Raptor 74GB 8MB cache $175 that would be compatible.

For that price, you could get another RE2 and do a RAID or use 150GB for system, another partition 320GB for something.

So yes, there is a compatibility issue - WDC, xlr8yourmac.com and OWC, Barefeats, MacIntouch: drive report....

Not sure you want to install PCI-X SATA controller for just that.

So you're saying I should get two RE2s and setup an internal RAID? Is there anyway to make sure the orginal RE2 isn't fried? It "works", it just gives the "can not unmount" warnings in DU.

Can't Unmount may be just a factor of it being the OS drive and or in Target. You might do the zero all instead while booted to an installer CD. You can run Disk Utility from there under the Utilities pull down menu.

Are you running scratch on partition of the data drive? Personally I have found that the slowest setup possible. Problem is that the slowest part of a computer is head travel on drives. The activity that needs the least latency is scratch. By putting scratch on a partition of a drive that is actively being used while you edit photos, you are adding in huge amounts of latency as you force the heads to travel from one partition to the other each time RAM is swapping and photos are being accessed.

Personally I take drive 1 and put the OS and scratch on it, no partition, and data on drive 2. Or, OS on 1, scratch on 2 and data on external drives.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Lightbulb

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode from a FW drive that wasn't part of your cloning process? Make sure to change the downloads folder and any settings such as where or if you display Desktop photos from your library (which will point to the original until changed).

I'm just suggesting that for $175 or so you may as well have a matched pair and the RE2 is outstanding 72MB/sec drive. And suitable if needed for RAID.

Have you bought Intech Speedtools or something to test and benchmark drive integrity, etc? Very useful, but first you need a drive or two.

Has Disk Warrior 4 said it is? try the hardware diagnostic manual test and look in Console system.log for an entry "spare blocks used - available" values. I've killed Disk Utility but never during a zero operation.

So you are saying that you never got the drive quick formatted or partitioned since then? Do YOU think your drive is fried?

And setup another backup drive while at it.

I removed the Raptor and succesfully installed the operating system on the 500GB. Temporarily I will run a single disk to finish a project, then I want to go back to a dual disk configuration. Final Cut Studio still refuses to install on the system. The same problem: it leaves Final Cut and Motion as unchoosable options in the install screen. I'm calling Apple. Any theories?

Since this FCS problem is happening without the Raptor variable, it appears the disk worked in my machine. What other symptoms should I have seen with this incompatible drive? I have an external U6 firewire enclosure. Can I use the Raptor in that? It seems a shame to put a small 10k disk on a FW400 cable. Maybe it'll work as a good extra data disk.

Lightbulb

Copying a 4GB file; copy a 20GB file; not sure what but I put together an FAQ on the Raptor with what I knew at the time (since forgotten) and to other sites and such, including AYM, WDC, Barefeats, Apple etc.

OWC has a big "disclaimer" that G5 must use PCI controller.

Most all those tests were a year ago and centered around the more popular 150GB AHFD. I doubt just firmware or other changes would change that.

I have no idea what FCP does or why... ask the Apple Discussion section.