Thread: Re: Secy-Treas erased fire department files accidentally.

Default Re: Secy-Treas erased fire department files accidentally.

Greetings: I (thought) I command-deleted a single fire department file, emptied my Trash after a day of cleaning up my F.D. files and suddenly noticed my primary work-folder had disappeared with almost ALL my personal files as well. Tech support at my isp suggested I try you folks, saying all they knew of would be to pull my harddrive, hook in a firewire(?) drive and..., well, it was all Greek to me. I'm newish at using a newish 17" G4 laptop with OS 10.4.8 (currently on my wife's similar computer) and what I'm hoping is that there's something I can do that'd allow me to do an "unerase" to recover everything. I don't really consider suicide an option but is there another? Thanks very much for all help.

You are the second one today that I have talked with the same problem. Don't feel alone, happens to everyone. One note, after we get a plan to recover the data, make a plan for a backup. There is absolutely no excuse to have anything important on a single hard drive. Not ever. That hard drive in your Powerbook is just as likely to fail today as is any hard drive anywhere. Doesn't matter how new it is even. Drives decide to fail. nuff said.

Steps to recovering your data.:

First thing, you will need a recovery utility. The best is probably Data Rescue.

Second, get a Firewire drive. The best thing you can do is not even touch that Powerbook until you have the Firewire drive attached and ready.

Third, install OSX on the Firewire drive, boot to it and install Data Rescue.

Fourth, recover the data off the Powerbook drive TO the Firewire drive.

The warning here is that if you run that computer off the internal drive with the erased index, not even do anything with the computer particularly, just run the computer, you run the risk of overwriting both the index you erased and the data that no longer has indexing. Don't run that Powerbook for even a few minutes if you actually want to recover the data intact. You will only boot that Powerbook from an installer CD or from an external Firewire drive until AFTER you have the data recovered.

Get an external hard drive, install OSX to it, install Data Rescue, and while booted to the Firewire drive recover your data.

Oh, and good luck!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

What Rick said.

If you don't use the PB in question any more, you have good chance to get the data back.

Don't hesitate to post back if you have questions....we can walk you through step-by-step if you need it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Success and a sigh of relief.

Greetings again, and an update:

I tried the free-download version of "Data Rescue" to double-check that it'd be able to recover my deleted files and when it did, we paid for the single-user license and ran it again. At first I was staggered to discover that it'd found 367,000 some-odd files.... But it only took 3 (long) days to random-sample and locate the ones I wanted. Most, of course, were such things as "foreign" files my Macaroni program had removed several times over. Only one file was partially corrupted and I was able to complete it using another file with the same info in different format.

Color me sheepish. I NOW have everything backed up and the external harddrive at hand.

Thanks very, very much! David

Default Good Job.

I love happy endings.

I expect that haing narrowly dodged the bullet, you likely fall into the camp of users who back up often, and like to have at least two different back ups on hand....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unc beat me to it with the "happy endings" thing, but ditto nevertheless.

I'm glad you recovered: not all do, so get out there and bang the drum for backing-up, just like the rest of us hereabouts.

And, as a great man once said (maybe I paraphrase!) "if it ain't automatic, it ain't a backup".

Forsooth.

Damn! I love a happy ending.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"