Thread: Using SATA II on a SATA iMac Intel

Default Using SATA II on a SATA iMac Intel

Hi there would a SATA II drive run on an iMac Intel which only fully supports SATA I drives?
    Are these SATA II drives backward compatible?

Thanx

Kakadu

The Seagate 7200.10 SATAII drives have a jumper on the back that will allow the drive to be used in a SATAI application. Just make sure that the jumper is in place and that series of drive should work, I believe they ship with the jumper on. Stay away from the last generation, 7200.9 as they were SATAII only. Also I would stay away from the latest generation of hitachi which is also SATAII only.

Brian

Default Limit the transfer rate to 1.5Gb/sec on a SATA II

thank you..

Kakadu

Actually it doesn't limit the transfer rate to set the SATAI jumper. All it does is turn off a feature called SSC or Spread Spectrum Clocking. It leaves transfer rate and other bus features totally unaffected.

Transfer rate is overused as the definition of the differences in SATAI to SATAII. For the most part there really isn't any difference in transfer rate. Most of the differences in the two specifications are features added to SATAII to give SATA a boost into the enterprise server market. Those features generally serve no purpose on a desktop computer and can even cost performance as the features add overhead.

For the most part your Intel iMac has an advanced enough SATA controller that it can ignore most features it cannot actually use. I don't think it even has a problem with SSC and would not have issue with a drive that has it enabled.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Sata Ii

Thanx Rick..

Kakadu