Thread: ....Just back away from your computer box as if it were a swarm of bees...

Default ....Just back away from your computer box as if it were a swarm of bees...

Interesting read.

When you see the "Optimizing System Performance" phase of a software update, Mac OS X is really updating prebinding. Updating prebinding has a very, very nasty bug in it (look at _dyld_update_prebinding). If multiple processes are updating prebinding at the same time, then it is possible for a system file to be completely zero'd out. Basically, all data in the file is deleted and it is replaced with nothing. This bug is usually triggered when updating Mac OS X and every update to Mac OS X has the potential to render your system unbootable depending on if the "right" file is deleted or not.
    Here is the whole article. Perhaps a little heavy handed, but there is no doubt those Unsanity fellas know their way around OS X, so maybe not.

I never mess with an updating machine - any platform - due to general paranoia.

But hey, it ain't paranoia if everybody really is out to kill your computer.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I never touch 'em until they tell me to. Old OS9 habit. I just find something else to do in the meantime, and take a peak every 5 mins or so.

Even if you use software update, only select one item to download and install at a time. When it is finished, do the restart and then, if there were other updates to be installed, run software update again and select only one item, download and install it and do the restart thing, etc, etc, etc...
    Takes longer this way but helps stave off potential trouble.
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Certainly takes the mystery out of the OS updates problem that has been going on for so long. Naturally it becomes known with the 10.4.9 update. Guess we can look forward to something new in 10.5.