Thread: Can't Open... Can't Open... Can't Open

Default Can't Open... Can't Open... Can't Open

I am trying to install OS 10.2 on a beige G3. I can get throught the entire install fine but upon restart I get a Can't Open that repeats itself across the screen for several lines then The computer reboots back to OS 9.1. I have OS 9.1 on a separate partion so it has no problem reverting back. Prior attemps with a zeroed HD the computer would just continue to attemp a reboot.

I tried XPF and get the same Can't Open at the intial restart before the installation actually starts.

Any Ideas what is going on??

Bob

Did you remember to make the OSX boot partition the first partiton on the drive, and less than 8GB?

Is the boot drive jumpered as master/single device?

Open Firmware reset often helps after a failed install.

Actuall the drive is only 4 Gb and the OS partion is the first 3GB I have reset the Pram OPT CMD P R countless times but Have not been able to get into open Firmware. I sure I am forgeting some thing. The beige is suposed to run 10.2 without any modifications, Right?

On another note, When I changed the opital drive to an Apple DVD Ram drive to read the DVD install disk, thought s of installing tiger with XPF I could not get it to boot the installed 9.1 system, it would chime then I get a breaking glass crashing sound then nothing not video signal nothing. what is that?

thanks Bob

Reset OF with the init-nvram to no avail.
    The HD is an Apple Western Digital 4 GB, Jumpered to Master.
    Is there any other toubleshooting I can do in SUM or with Firmware.
    I did not see a requirement to update firmware to run OS 10.2 on the biege G3.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Macnewbe View Post
    Actuall the drive is only 4 Gb and the OS partion is the first 3GB I have reset the Pram OPT CMD P R countless times but Have not been able to get into open Firmware. I sure I am forgeting some thing. The beige is suposed to run 10.2 without any modifications, Right?

On another note, When I changed the opital drive to an Apple DVD Ram drive to read the DVD install disk, thought s of installing tiger with XPF I could not get it to boot the installed 9.1 system, it would chime then I get a breaking glass crashing sound then nothing not video signal nothing. what is that?

thanks Bob
    The breaking glass sound is a serious hardware problem.

How are the cables for the drives? If they are the stock 40-wire I'd try some 80-wire replacements.

I have the DVD-RAM that came in my Gigabit in my Beige desktop, but I haven't tried to install X on it with it in there.

Lightbulb

If you can't get into Open Firmware, you have more serious problems

There were people where that was necessary, and some felt they needed to do CUDA reset as well (lots of issues with Beige and OS X, but yes it is 'suppose' to support Jaguar, though that is like trying to mate beta software to hardware that is OldWorld).

Might even help to use XPF for all I know.

I gave up on Beige and OS X. Learned, then moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ View Post

I gave up on Beige and OS X. Learned, then moved on.
    Yeah, me too. Once in a while I'll briefly consider doing it again, but then I come to my senses.

Panther was pretty reliable on my Beige with XPF once I got the hardware bugs worked out, but it was slower than Tiger is on my Pismo with Dashboard, and Spotlight disabled.

Yea TZ your right to move on but this is an attemp to get 10 on a system at Low cost for someone to give it a try. I am hoping to use the XPF to get to Panther but figured I try the easy install first.

I was able to get to Open Firmware as soon as I found the right key combo. The firmware version is 2.0f I think.

The "Can't Open" that repeats across the screen looks like it is in Verbose or Single user mode ( same screen background and text).

Now it just the fact that I do not want the machine to win.

Yea the cables are std 40 wire, what help is there with the 80 wire ?

Your beige works with the DVD ram drive does it not? When I installed that drive I got the hardware problem, removed it and the problem went away. The drive has worked fine in a firewire enclosure before.

Bob

Lightbulb

We've been recommending that the best way to judge OS X on the cheap is not to give someone the least desirable system along with a beta OS.

It was totally lame and beta. Buggy, hard to upgrade, rough on hardware. Half the time the 10.2.8 update would destroy a fresh install.

When Leopard is out, get a Mac MIni. OS X and iLife and none of the hassles.

The 80-wire cables have ground wires between the data wires to provide a better signal between devices.

When I initially tried to install Panther on my Beige I had a lot of problems with the stock CD-ROM. I replaced it with the DVR-109 that's in my DA now, and all the install problems went away. I replaced both the ATA cables around that time too, and they seemed to help. Cables are cheap so why struggle with old ones that could be problematic?

A 4GB drive is pretty old, slow, and not really enough space for OSX on a Beige with limited RAM due to VM. It may have firmware issues too. Better to start with fresh one IMHO.

Lightbulb

One thing to mention, I originally also had 4GB drive. It was never happy with OS X. Older drive technology. Replacing it with 40GB and recent vintage worked fine. As did using ACard instead so I could use larger drives and better than native 18MB/sec to more like 50MB/sec.

Might be easier to take the drive out of the G3 Tower and put it in another unit and load the OS. Then move drive back to G3 Tower.