Thread: Open Firmware - Hosed?

Default Open Firmware - Hosed?

Hi all
    After doing some major surgery I can't reset firmware. After writing the second line.. "set-defaults" and pressing the return key it makes a space and won't proceed any further. I can press the cuda button and it will sometimes reboot.

G4/466 (running a 933 cpu w/12v mod)
    1 x Cheetah 15k boot disk ATTO UL3D Ch1
    1 x Atlas V (empty) ATTO UL3D Ch1
    1 x ATA 40G (2 partitions - first ready for Linux, 2nd for X files)
    Standard video card
    1G Ram

External 4 x 36G Cheetah 10k (1 as backup via Super Duper)

It won't boot Disk Warrior & sometimes won't find any startup disk.
    I'm confident if I can reset OF I could get it running OK but this is something I haven't encountered before.

Bernard
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Maybe go a step beyond OF, and reset the PMU.

Just a shot in the dark since I've never had a problem with OF reset. OF reset hasn't always solved the problem though.

What was the major surgery?

Thanks for the reply M.Brane

Now, what's the PMU?

The major surgery was a complete dismantle /reassembly of the entire computer. Clean, discard old CD-ROM, RAM, 10G IBM HDD, etc and replace with components from another G4/466.

Since my first post I tried a clean install but the failed as disk could not unmount. Tried an install with archive/retain users & network option but got "install errors", tried to boot to external SCSI (SuperDuper copy) but get grey screen.

On the occasions that it does boot, Firefox, iCab won't function and Sys Profiler won't open.

Bizarrrre!
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Quote Originally Posted by All Systems Go View Post

Now, what's the PMU?
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760

Oh, yeah, I do that to get it to boot but it certainly has no effect on the issues. I just had it boot to OS 9.2.2 and it ran perfectly so it seems to be something to do with 10.3.9
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Might be something as simple as memory that didn't get a good connection or a bad module. Time to run some tests swapping them around.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I recently had an old iMac trayloader freak out in a similar manner.
    This one refused to boot into open Firmware, Single user mode , Applejack etc.
    Funny but it did work fine recently.
    The machine now has a different HD, RAM and new OS install.
    Works fine again, but I never identified the problem.
    Previous RAM has been tested good via Applejack,
    HD is working fine in another mac.

Dave
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Don't think anybody mentioned it, but there is an Apple firmware update for DAs, so if that has never been run....might be worth considering. Never had an Apple firmware flash not work, but never ran one on a box with (knowingly) flaky or questionable firmware.

Wonder if the world-famous greentree_UK reset everything might be worth trying? Nothing to lose I suspect, but if I recall the purpose of that trick is to reset a wonky PMU.....nothing related to firmware. OTOH, pulling RAM can reset a password protected OF, so it might help?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin