Thread: iMac/Intel/iChat - AIM/MSN

Default iMac/Intel/iChat - AIM/MSN

Running an iMac Intel. Lovely machine, no complaints.

I want to set up iChat to communicate with non-Mac users. They say that MSN is their preferred communication system, but iChat only seems to want to use AIM.

Anyone got any experience of setting up iChat on iMac? And if so, any comments on the AIM/MSN business would be useful.

Thanks.

Allen, London.

AIM is just used for authentication. So you don't need any AIM software, just an AIM account. A bit confusing, but it works just fine.

Have not checked in about a year, but it looks like now they make you download software......even if that's true, you don't use it. All you care about is setting up an AIM account on their server to use for authentication.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

not sure what you want to achieve... msn on ichat? or communicating with pc's? ichat uses the aim network. you could use jabber. here's a link to the info,

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60918092954170

if you want to do video, the easiest thing is skype. video quality is poor but it works.

Right-ho, Greentree, a fuller explanation...

1. Up until now, my communications have been through:
    talking;
    the telephone;
    letter-writing;
    emailing;
    message boards.

2. Now, having jumped from G3 (1997) to iMac (2007), I have options open to me that I know NOTHING about, like built-in video cameras and microphones.
    So, I want to know how to make best use of them.

3. Specifically, I would like to:
    use the computer to make free talking (phone-type) calls;
    use the computer to occasionally bring the videolink into operation.

4. I don't really know what AIM or MSN mean, they're just bits of jargon I've picked up. And is Skype a free service?

5. Or should I not bother? Are these bits just pretty bolt-ons that Apple have stuck on these later machines, and should I stick to the old-fashioned systems for my quite limited amount of correspondence?

Thanks.

Allen, London.

Default just use iChat

Allen,
    I to did not understand much about iChat and instant messaging but found it to be very easy. ONe friend of mine uses iChat to video chat with family in Taiwan. I fact the biggest ooh and aahs he gets from pc people is from showing off video chating in full fram smooth video.

go to aim.com from the "Services" drop down menu go to "Get a Screen Name" Follow the steps to set up your account. I signed up several months ago and did not have to download any software, you will not need it.

You will need to get the screen names of the people you want to talk to and add them to your address book. It is easier to create you buddy list in iChat from the address book.

Then simply launch iChat and have fun. Using a headset can have some advantages as the built in mics can pick up a lot of stray sounds or even the noise of the speakers.

Good luck
    Bob

Arrow Try AIM

So you don't need any AIM software, just an AIM account. A bit confusing, but it works just fine.
    Agree. I use iChat and my friends use the AIM screen name works great two way audio/video with enough bandwidth. - Randy

I use iChat with Mac users, iChat on AIM with PC users, and Skype with both.

I think Mac-to-Mac iChat is best, Skype with PC users has been better than AIM for me, especially the video, and iChat to AIM PC users has been disappointing, especially the video, but of course I have no control over what's happening at the other end. But the Skype video chats with my PC brother are way better than what we were getting with AIM, and as far as I know he's using the same hardware.

With AIM and Skype, a headset really is needed, but when I iChat with my Mum, audio or video, I find I don't need one. Something clever about the audio in iChat?

"illegitimis non carborundum"

Ok,

I joined AIM. Anyone around to test this out with me?

Not sure if I've done everything I am supposed to do.

my login name is geetrzan.

Is there anybody.........

Out there???

Wait, I better go put on a shirt and comb my hair....

Last time I used my iChat was with biggles a while back. I use iChat with an AIM account but don't have my cam/mic setup. Only text now - I rarely use it. I'll look fer em.