Thread: G4/867DP-MDD ATA bus 1 gone in OS9...

Default G4/867DP-MDD ATA bus 1 gone in OS9...

Greetings Forum Members!
    I have four hard drives installed in a G4/867 DP-MDD using cable select for all HD's [4] and Burners [2]. All drives and ATA Busses [0, 1, 2] show up in OS-X 10.4.8. In OS9, only Buses 0 and 2 show up in the Apple System Profiler. Everything is working fine in OS-X. But the ATA 1 bus isn't showing up in OS9. Is this normal? If not, how can this be adressed to see all the HD's on the OS9 desktop? The drives not showing up are the OS-X boot drives on ATA bus 1. All [4] drives Journalling is on. Installed are 80, 60, 30 and 20 gig HD's. Let me know if you need any more info. Requesting the advice of anyone who can help. Thank you all! Donnie Dixon

Just a hunch, but I'd bet that they'd work better jumpered as master/slave than cable select. I know CS has been problematic with some drives/systems.

Default Tried it both ways...

M. Brane,

We tried it both ways. Master/Slave and Cable Select. Bus ATA 1 still does not show up in OS9! Still trying to figure it out. The CPU works great. But could use those drives in OS9 to boot back into OS-X. Hopefully, someone will post with a good fix. Thanks for your reply. All the best! Donnie D.

if I recollect, this is correct, os9 will only see the two busses and not the third.

Lightbulb

The MDDs came - maybe later - with a special 9.2.2+ system. Won't boot from any OS 9 CDs, but should/will see large drives and all buses. And I'd stay with CS. The IDE shorties support it. The drives support it. Just don't try mixing. But some people want to have "control" and if you do use master, you still need the master to be on the end (black) and slave (gray) in the middle.

Default Tried Everything, ATA 1 doesn't show in OS9...

TZ,

Nice to hear from you!
    Everything is working fine, except that ATA 1 bus does not show up in the system profiler in OS 9.2.2. All 4 HD's show up in OS-X 10.4.8. But when you go into OS 9.2.2, all that shows is ATA buses 0 and 2. ATA 1 in totally absent.
    The OS9 drives are taken from a previous OS9 only G4/450DP. All 4 drives have OS9 drivers. Of the two OS9 drives, I reformatted one of the drives in OS-X. It still does not show to the desktop. The ATA 1 bus is gone in 9! Totally missing. Is this normal? If it cannot be remedied, maybe an ATA/IDE adapter card will work. Any other ideas? Many, many thanks for your replies and solid input on this forum. Keep up the great work! Respectfully, Donnie Dixon.

Lightbulb

I think you missed what I tried to say: you need the OS9GENERAL.dmg that comes only with MDD and is on the Install Disk #1. That is a unique build of 9.2.2+.

Default TZ, I'll try it...

I'll reformat that particular drive with the MDD specific 9.2.2. Makes perfect sense now. I'll report my findings. Thanks for all your help! Donnie D.

Lightbulb

If you have the disks, the file is in a hidden ".images" directory.

Copy the DMG somewhere safe.
    Mount the DMG.
    Drag the contents (Applications.... and System Folder) some place. You just need the system folder. And with OS 9, no need to install. It is a complete system ready to use.

No need to erase (unless you want to).

TZ, Many thanks. It's now working and couldn't be happier! I found a 9.5.1 Mac OS Rom from another drive and updated all the HD's with the newer version. Now all HD's show up in OS9.2.2! The only thing now, with a full 2 gigs of RAM, OS9 wants over 500MB. But, now it's working! What more could I ask for? I'll make sure to find that bootable OS9 folder on the install disks and save it to CDR. From TZ computer Don [you] to mini Don [me], I want to thank you for all your help and dedication to this forum. Problem solved! Keep up the great work and all the best wishes! Maximum Respect, Donnie Dixon.

Lightbulb

MDD's are not bootable from CDs. Not the later ones (167MHz bus).
    Also, OS 9 can only address 1.5GB RAM.

Thanks for the nice words.

Thumbs up Made OS9 boot CD for backups...

TZ,

I made an OS9 boot CD just for installing on other MDD's. We are a school and have several around here. We like the MDD's a lot 'round here, because we are using several audio programs & plug-ins that will never be ported to X. Used the CD made today to install on a machine that ALWAYS gave us trouble booting OS9. And now it works! Made the install copy as you recommended, and it's already been very useful. We won't try to boot from that CD. It's just for installs. Again, I want to let you know that respect is due you. I don't post much. But am an active viewing participant. I see that you put TON's of elbow grease into providing truthful, honest, usable and highly accurate information. And want you to know... with high praise, you deserve everything good! Keep up the awesome advice solutions you are providing here on MGF. Many Respects, Donnie Dixon
    Last edited by TZ; 03-04-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Lightbulb

When you say "install" there IS the Apple install or restore method... what you seem to be doing - and what I did as well - was drag and drop type install.

I really try to be "just the facts" as possible w/o the marketing hype or sales pitch (though I can get eloquent when I like a product!).

I never knew what made the OS 9 for MDD unique, what piece of the system folder was in there to do it.... maybe you hold that key!

I assume you've been through the "MDD Reference." And in the "New or Upgrade" section, too.

Now that I have a Mac Pro, that has been one focus, and playing with Vista is another (now over - it isn't ready for me). And are really "live blog" of my upgrade experience.

People have burned Toast coasters to try and create bootable CDs. Much easier to create a Panther DVD with BootCD and have a universal repair disk (but locked out of Tiger).

I've heard that OS 9 bootable G4s are worth more and still popular. You're living proof of that. Maybe it's time for me to retire mine

Default TZ, Your MacPro Experiences...

TZ,

Yes, you're right! I dragged and dropped the files from the image right into the system folder. I used Pacifist to open up the individual files and installed by hand. It all worked out fine. Even for one of our MDD's that never like to boot 9. Thanks to you, they're all working now! I also don't know what makes the MDD special. But do know they work quite well on both OS's when set-up properly.

We're investigating getting a few MacPro 2.66's for audio and video production. How are they? And, what are the best, reliable 500 and 750 gig drives today?
    Anything else we should know about onthe MacPro's. Interested in speedy and rock solid performance.

TZ, you da man! MacGurus ROCKS! Donnie D.