Thread: G4/867DP-MDD ATA bus 1 gone in OS9...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default G4/867DP-MDD ATA bus 1 gone in OS9...

Greetings Forum Members!
    I have four hard drives installed in a G4/867 DP-MDD using cable select for all HD's [4] and Burners [2]. All drives and ATA Busses [0, 1, 2] show up in OS-X 10.4.8. In OS9, only Buses 0 and 2 show up in the Apple System Profiler. Everything is working fine in OS-X. But the ATA 1 bus isn't showing up in OS9. Is this normal? If not, how can this be adressed to see all the HD's on the OS9 desktop? The drives not showing up are the OS-X boot drives on ATA bus 1. All [4] drives Journalling is on. Installed are 80, 60, 30 and 20 gig HD's. Let me know if you need any more info. Requesting the advice of anyone who can help. Thank you all! Donnie Dixon

Just a hunch, but I'd bet that they'd work better jumpered as master/slave than cable select. I know CS has been problematic with some drives/systems.

Default Tried it both ways...

M. Brane,

We tried it both ways. Master/Slave and Cable Select. Bus ATA 1 still does not show up in OS9! Still trying to figure it out. The CPU works great. But could use those drives in OS9 to boot back into OS-X. Hopefully, someone will post with a good fix. Thanks for your reply. All the best! Donnie D.

if I recollect, this is correct, os9 will only see the two busses and not the third.

Lightbulb

The MDDs came - maybe later - with a special 9.2.2+ system. Won't boot from any OS 9 CDs, but should/will see large drives and all buses. And I'd stay with CS. The IDE shorties support it. The drives support it. Just don't try mixing. But some people want to have "control" and if you do use master, you still need the master to be on the end (black) and slave (gray) in the middle.

Default Tried Everything, ATA 1 doesn't show in OS9...

TZ,

Nice to hear from you!
    Everything is working fine, except that ATA 1 bus does not show up in the system profiler in OS 9.2.2. All 4 HD's show up in OS-X 10.4.8. But when you go into OS 9.2.2, all that shows is ATA buses 0 and 2. ATA 1 in totally absent.
    The OS9 drives are taken from a previous OS9 only G4/450DP. All 4 drives have OS9 drivers. Of the two OS9 drives, I reformatted one of the drives in OS-X. It still does not show to the desktop. The ATA 1 bus is gone in 9! Totally missing. Is this normal? If it cannot be remedied, maybe an ATA/IDE adapter card will work. Any other ideas? Many, many thanks for your replies and solid input on this forum. Keep up the great work! Respectfully, Donnie Dixon.