Thread: Replacement HD for G4/533

Default Replacement HD for G4/533

Hello.... It's been a while and I haven't kept up since the old days of SCSI but my G4/533 HD is failing. It's the original 40gb drive. I've done some looking and see IDE, ATA, SATA, SATA II, etc. Help....... lol... I wouldn't mind upgrading it but realize with this old desktop I'm limited. I mainly use it for backing up my iBook so speed isn't a big factor, dependability is. Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks!
    Ken

I suggest a SeriTek/1S2 SATA host card and a SATA drive of your choice.

Without a PCI host card, your G4 is limited to ATA drives of 128MiB (137MB) or less. If that's OK, and you can find such a drive cheap, that would be my second choice.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

What Biggles said.

If you really don't need the SATA space, you should be aware that any modern 7200 8 or 16MB cache ATA drive will still give you a nice little speed bump over anything more than a couple years old, so not a bad way to go.

As for being reliable, I would say that IDE/ATA is about the same as SATA.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Doh!

Ack! Sorry......misread that [other thread] entirely. Feel free to copy/paste/repost back if you like. If I see another WTB, I swear I won't touch it.

Update: We now return you to our regular broadcast.
    Last edited by unclemac; 02-21-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the input.
    Is it true I can use a larger drive as long as I partition it to under 128mb per? If I stick to IDE/ATA is the buffer size 8 to 16mb an indicator of a newer faster drive or what should I look for?
    Thanks!

I'm guessing that you are thinking about putting the 533 in FW target mode and partitioning the HD with the iBook. Hmmm can this be done? Someone will know.

You are limited to 128GB if you initialize the HD from the 533. A SATA card or a PATA card is the only way around the 128Gb limitation.

Yes newer drives are the ones with the 16MB cache, but faster gets fuzzy. A SATA card & drive would be faster with either 8 or 16 MB cache...SATA is faster.

If you don't care about speed you could put 2 - 120 GB Seagate Baraccudas on the 533s ATA would provide dependability.