Thread: Can I fix things without rebooting?

Default Can I fix things without rebooting?

First thing to explain: I know that all I would really need to do to fix these two issues is reboot, or even just logout and back in. However, I've been working on a project for a little over a month now using the trial version of Adobe Flash CS3. Since this is the trial version, it was only supposed to work for 30 days. Guess what. As long as you leave it running, Flash doesn't appear to expire. I just downloaded the trial to do this and then be done with it, I'll purchase it for real if I ever get a big enough project to justify it. But for now, I just need to get this done. I've got a ways to go.

The problem is, my machine (a Mac mini intel) has developed the "multiple swapfiles" problem. I presently have ten, totalling about 4GB in my private/var/vm directory. The tenth (512MB) comes and goes as I launch and quit Safari (why does Safari use a 512MB swapfile)? 4GB is a big deal right now, as (metaphorically speaking) I'm up against the ceiling of the flooded cave of hard drive space, holding my face above the water so I can breath what little free space is left up there.

I'd like to be able to use WhatSize to get rid of the swapfiles, and six of them have modification dates that predate when I last launched Flash. Plus when I use Sloth to find whatever files Flash is using, it doesn't show Flash holding on to any of the swapfiles, just one of the Adobe temp files in Cleanup at Startup. And it's only about 44MB. (However, it does show the Temporary Items folder with a long-closed iDVD project taking up about 80MB in there).

Is there anyway to determine for sure if Flash is using one of the swapfiles? And if I can, is it safe for me to manually delete the others (at least the old ones) without crashing Flash or OS X?

The second issue might or might not be related. I have a DMG image that I mounted that I cannot unmount, even though I closed that app weeks ago. I have a feeling that having that image mounted is actually holding open one of the swapfiles. I have used Sloth to find the processes holding on to anything on that volume. Can I use Sloth to kill those processes and then eject the mounted image? Or can I use hdiutil eject -force disk5s2 from the Terminal to force it to eject without killing those processes?

I don't know if this would work, but, you might go and change the date in your computer, back to with in the first 30 days of your download. and restart.

Maybe someone will chime in and give this idea and thumbs up or down.

Thanks yeungfeng, but I already tried that with the Dreamweaver demo earlier this year. I think Adobe has the software programmed to check an internet time server. Which means you can't run the software without an internet connection. I had Flash give me an error like that once, something about not being able to establish authorization. But then again, I've lost my internet connection numerous times during this trial, and haven't seen the error those times. Maybe Flash only checks when it launches. Which would still leave me out in the cold.

Default a command or two...

i first thought

Code:
    lsof
    might come in handy for the disk image problem, it can sometimes tell you what files are open and where.

I don't know how to tell what apps are using data in each swapfile, perhaps thats for the OS to know, not the user...

Have you considered closing all unecessary apps, and backing up some unused stuff to online web storage, like mozy/omnidrive/myfabrik etc?

Since you are commercially producing a product with the application it might just be time to buy it. The universe loves a good joke, I can see losing the project right at the end just cause you ain't willing to pay Adobe for their product. Irony and justice go together sometimes.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ricks, I'm not going to argue your point, you are certainly right that if I'm producing a commercial project using this trial version of Flash, I should buy it, even if this trial version hasn't quit on me.

Operating word there is "if". This isn't a commercial project. I'm an unemployed graphic designer who's trying to get a job. After not having used a version later than Flash 5, I'm training myself on CS3, and at the same time trying to create a demo for a potential employer that will show them what I can do for them. They want someone to do the work in PowerPoint and I'm trying to show them a better way.

I know it's still against Adobe's terms, but once I actually get a job, and if I get freelance work that needs it, I'll be in position to purchase a license.

Tachyon, I regularly close down everything (but Flash of course) to try to get the computer to let go of swapfile space. That tenth swapfile I mentioned above, where I said it comes and goes as I launch and quit Safari... well it's stuck now too. When that happened, I did go and move a bunch of stuff offline.

Backing stuff up and deleting it to free up space is not somehow a problem for me, I just wanted to ask if anyone had any idea about getting rid of the swapfiles by manual deletion, or forcing that DMG to unmount.

You mentioned myFabrik, which I signed up for a little while ago. Have you been using it? Can you share any of your experiences? I've been a little hesitant to do a lot with it because their terms state that they can delete anything from your account space at any time without warning or explanation. What good is a backup service if it can go poof and you can't do anything about it? So I've just been using it as a glorified version of YouSendIt.

Can anyone else specifically comment on the wisdom (or unwisdom) of using Sloth to kill the processes I identified as being attached to that disk image, or using "hdiutil" to force it to unmount? Here's a Sloth report that shows the files being held onto on the disk image- it looks like they're all connected to Crash Reporter.

Process PID File

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/MacOS

CrashReporter 11318 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/MacOS/CrashReporter

CrashReporter 22930 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/MacOS/CrashReporter

CrashReporter 23060 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/MacOS/CrashReporter

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/Resources

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CrashReporter.app/Contents/Resources/CrashReporterMain.nib

Finder 11358 /Volumes/Data Rescue II\xe2\x84\xa2 1.1.1/Data Rescue II.app/Contents/MacOS