Thread: iMac OS 9 no worky?

Default iMac OS 9 no worky?

I'm getting an old G3-333 out of mothballs for Grandma. I had a spare 20GB hard drive that I threw in there and found that it had two partitions, one with Panther and one with Tiger- obviously it booted from the Panther side. So far so good.

Here's the thing though. I've got an old OS 9-only copy of ViaVoice that I'd like to have running for her since dictating would be a lot easier for her. Plus she actually had some experience with the classic Mac OS (8 I think) back in the 90s, but she's never seen OS X, and I'd like to give her something familiar. So I want to try and put OS 9 back on this machine.

I've got a 9.2.2 System Folder that I've actually thrown onto the hard drives of a couple of iMacs in the past and it worked then, so I just did the same thing this time. I did run Disk Warrior 4 to get it to "bless" the system folder (I put it on the partition with Tiger).

So I went to the Startup Disk control panel and chose the OS 9 folder, and clicked Restart. The little drop-down dialog box gave me the confirmation button, but when I clicked "OK", the iMac beeped at me and did nothing, just went back to the control panel.

In short, nothing I've done has enabled me to boot this machine in OS 9. When I reboot and hold down the option key, it always goes to straight to Panther, never gives me the little icons to choose from.

I even tried using Toast (on my G5) to burn a "bootable" copy (has that ever worked?) of the 9.2.2 folder and holding down the 'C' key to boot from it. Still nada.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong.
    This is just a quirk of running OSX and OS9 on an old Imac.
    You can not actually boot into OS9 but must use it from the "Classic"
    side of OSX.
    I have a 333 Imac running Panther and OS9.2.2 and have the same results.
    (Yes OS9 shows up as a Start -up Disk, but it will not do so...),
    Made me crazy for a while as some OS9 apps don't work well in the "classic" enviorment.
    So, either live with it the way it is, or erase the drive and install OS9.
    * Does the old OS 9-only copy of ViaVoice work in "Classic" under OSX?
    * And BTW, Panther is as far as you can update on a 333 Imac.
    * What model G3 Imac do you have ? (probably should have asked this 1'st).

Dave
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

If I have no issues with either my Beige G3/266 MT, G3/500 B&W or G4 DP800 all dual OS booting both Panther(Tiger) and OS 9.2.2, your Mac shouldn't either. I would zap the PRAM and see what it boots to. If you have any version of OS 9 on a boot-able partition it should boot to it. Could be the OS9 disk divers weren't installed on the OS9 partition tho check with disk utility. I'd also recommend if you intend to keep both OS's on that Mac to install Xpostfacto. It has a better startup disk control panel then system preferences and never failed for me on either of my dual OS G/3's to move me between OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by almaink
    Could be the OS9 disk divers weren't installed
    That's what I was thinking too. If it had 2 different versions of X, but no 9 it's very possible that the OS9 drivers were not installed when the drive was initialized.

This is all what I thought also, but I installed the OS9 Drivers.
    Same issues, OS9.2.2 shows up as a bootable volume under System Preferences, but it simply does not work.
    Perhaps if there was a seperate disk w/OS9, but not possible on an old Imac.
    I think it has something to do with the 8 gig partition limit for OSX.
    Happy if I am mistaken...

David

Did you have 9 on the same partition as X? It should still boot from 9 that way I would think, but 9 doesn't seem to care much what partition it's on. I've never played with an iMac though. They do have some interesting quirks.

Maybe it's a control panel issue. Ever try starting with the option key?

I bet Uncle would know for sure. He's the undisputed iMac Guru.

I just tested again...
    Perhaps I am missing something.
    1st repaired OS9 permissions, then to Start-up control panel /select OS9.2.2/(partition)
    Restarted to a blue screen./
    I have to re-start from a bootable Disk / select OSX and restart.
    I just don't believe these old Imacs are truly dual boot machines...
    OS9 under Classic only.
    I would be happy to be wrong!

Dave

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I also have a Mac that won't boot 9 if X is present on the disk. Mine is a Blue and white G3. In order to make 9 boot I have to completely wipe the disks of everything and start fresh with an OS 9 only install
    Damien,

Did you zap the PRAM yet? Like I said I've yet to see any OS 9 capable Mac not boot to OS9 after the PRAM zap. Worth a shot, and also get Xpostfacto for the start up control panel.

I'm almost positive I initialized that drive with OS 9 drivers. I just do it as a default. This is also a 333MHz iMac (grape).

I just tried going back to an even older system folder that had never been used as Classic. Same problem happened. Using the option key at startup doesn't do anything.

I'm trying to rebuild with Disk Warrior now, but I doubt that will change anything.

So which do I do next, XPostFacto or zap PRAM? If I zap PRAM, and I have both Panther and OS 9 on the primary partition, which one will it default to?

It should default to OS9. At least it always has for me, but I must be lucky because I never had your issue with any of my Macs, and they all have both OS's on the same partition. I do have Xpostfacto installed on all of them tho, even the B&W.

Well here's how it went:

Zap PRAM: No worky.
    Reboot, Zap PRAM and try option key during startup: No worky.
    Install XPostFacto, tell it to reboot from OS 9 on Partition A: No worky.
    Wait for Blinking Question Mark Floppy Disk icon to find Partition B: WORKY!

It was really weird. After the XPostFacto reboot, the Blinking Question Mark Folder icon came up, which usually means it's going back to Panther. But this time the screen went black, then came back with the plain grey pre-screen of OS 9- but gave me the blinking Question Mark Floppy Disk. And the hard drive kept making continual sounds of "restarting", like it does when I power the machine up, but without the spinning-down sound.

I didn't want that to continue, so I pushed in the CD I burned with OS 9 in order to copy it to this iMac. Lo and it gave me the Happy Mac and starts booting! I thought it was somehow booting from the CD, which I did not burn as "bootable" in Toast, but when I got to the desktop it turned out that the iMac had glommed onto the OS 9 System Folder on Partition B. Hey, whatever ya want!

So now I'm ready to wipe Partition A clean to get rid of Panther, and get this thing running with ViaVoice and over to Grandma's...

Thanks for all your help everyone, especially almaink and M.Brane for suggesting that I use XPostFacto!

Thumbs up

Glad you got it sorted out.