Thread: iBook G4 freeze, HD?

Red face iBook G4 freeze, HD?

Hello,
    Im working on my girlfriends ibook g4 with Tiger. After logging in, it will freeze with or without the spinning beach ball within 5 minutes of use (sometime shorter, rarely longer). It runs fine in safe mode, no problems. Here's what I've done to solve the issue:
    1) removed the airport card, additional RAM, and battery.
    2) Ran diskWarrior, Memtest (for a couple days), and the Mac Utilities CD.
    3) Clean reinstall of Tiger

All test passed with no problems and Im just not sure what to try next. She uses it all the time and is starting to get antsy without it. Not sure if it helps, but she has definatly dropped this thing a few times.

I'm leaning towards the hard drive or the motherboard, but am hesitant to just start buying parts without knowing whats wrong (nevermind the fact that I've never worked on a laptop any deeper than putting in the additional RAM).

Not being a long time Mac user the fact that it runs fine in safe mode and still freezes after a fresh install baffles me. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Default Good diag. thus far...

You have covered what I would have done.

Is it repeatable? Try booting off another system drive, (Firewire).

Or even try launching the iBook into Firewire mode and using it as a boot drive on another system.

Sounds like a bad MB tho
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Ok, thanks. I do have a desktop Mac, I'll give that a try. Now I just have to find a firewire cable.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Need to boot to a different disk with the iBook to be sure whether it is HD or MB. If you can, maybe boot the other computer to Target mode and boot from its drive. I have never done that with a iBook, not sure it it will boot from a towers system install. But short of making a Firewire boot disk to run from for testing, this is the only thing I can think of that tests motherboard vs. hard drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well. First off thanks for the suggestion. I think I have my answer. Booted the desktop HD on the laptop and it froze in about 3 minutes. I'm writing this post on the desktop booted off the laptop HD which has been running fine for ~5 hours. It's always the more expensive component right?
    So this leads me to a new question. Since it runs fine in safe mode.. Is it possible to start with a safe mode load and add in components, namely wireless card? We're getting married in 10 months so buying a new laptop isn't exactly high on my list of things to do right now. If I could get safe mode with the wireless card I don't think she would ever notice a difference to be honest with you.
    Again, thanks for your help so far. Even though the news was bad, it's nice to have an answer with some testing to back it up.

What does your system profiler say? I have the same symptoms and it not longer reads teh added memory only the built in memory.

Not sure if it helps, but she has definatly dropped this thing a few times.
    This could be a key. I guess the question would be when was the last time it was dropped? How far was the fall? Was it dropped shortly before the problems started?

I'd think that it wouldn't be the hard drive as you can boot in SAFE MODE. And your HD in the tower works fine (I would assume), but the iBook freezes when booted to it.

This doesn't sound so good. Let us know.
    Good Luck