Thread: How do I add a drive to G3 8500?

Confused How do I add a drive to G3 8500?

I've got a new 50-pin IBM 18ES hard drive and hoped I could slip it into the open bay above the existing one, plug in the 50-pin and the power plugs and go to town, but no luck. I take it out and the old one works fine. I'm guessing it's a jumper problem, but I'm clueless as to what all this means. Found a jumper chart at
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dnes/dnesjum.htm
    but don't know what I need to do. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce K Fabrick

Default SCSI takes yearS to learn :)

And I would never claim to be an expert. If only one device on that chain (a chain is the cable coming from the controller card) then I would place a Jumper on J6 (G) and a Jumper on J4 (4).

Make sure there is a Terminator at the end of your Chain, should have been one there from Apple, but your previous drive may have held the termination circuitry. If there is NO Terminator on that cable, then you need 1, always at the end. Place the Apple drive at the end, and put a Jumper on J4 (3) on your IBM drive (only, no other jumpers needed).
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Cool Like that

Hey thanks. After disabling termination on the new hard drive (it's in the middle of the internal SCSI chain) and changing SCSI ID to an unused number it's all OK.
    Bruce K Fabrick

The two basic rules of SCSI are:

1: each device must have a unique ID#. The stock config on an 8500 is CDROM #3, hard drive #0.

2: The last device on the cable must either be a terminator or a device that can supply termination to the bus.

Every 50pin drive I've ever seen has termination circuitry. OEM Apple SCSI CDROMs do not have termination, and therefore cannot be the last device on the cable.

So for instance if you were replacing the stock drive in an 8500 you would jumper the drive as ID#0 (usually no jumpers), and enable termination.

If you are adding the drive to the bus, and not moving other devices you'd disable termination, and choose ID# 1,2,4,5 or 6 since #7 is the Mac itself.

Default Egzactly

Just what you said, it worked. Thanks
    Bruce K Fabrick