Thread: Powerbook start problem

Default Powerbook start BOOT problem

hi everyone.....happy new year!!!

i have a problem on my powerbook g4 running mac os 10.4.8

after a power failure at home it's not starting
    after the grey screen
    a black one appear (like consolle)

with written: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory

i have tried to reboot with the system disk did disk rpeair and permission and also Disk Warrior

but no result

now i tried starting šS mode and wrote : fsck -y -f but didn' work

but i 've noticed this writing :
    if you wish to boot the system, but stay in single user mode:

sh /etc/rc

what does it means?

here two pict of the screen

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...9/DSC00053.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...9/DSC00054.jpg

any ideas?
    Last edited by fets69; 01-05-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: not complete

Sounds as though you may have missed the verbalge a bit with trying to run filesystemcheck. Might try again and type exactly this:

/sbin/fsck -fy

So to be clear, the entire process would be:

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
    2. Press the power button to start the computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key & the "s" key

4. At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy

5. Press Return. fsck will go through several "phases" and then return information about your system's condition and try to make related repairs. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in....if there was a related system problem that fsck was able to correct.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

i have tried /sbin/fsck -fy but didnt work i had the
    same response: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory

if there is a miissing file can i replace it?

in fact i have attached an external HD and installed the OS using the same password, id, hd name, ...may be if i copy the system folder from one to oanther i will be able to strat it... but where is the bin hidden folder?

Lightbulb

You would be better served to kill the problematic system. You would have to copy a good system with its hidden directory

If something is preventing fsck from working, what else is lost?

Backup data, and be ready to install and update your new good OS, and restore it later with SuperDuper or something (even DU Restore). And get a copy of Disk Warrior 4. The FAQ has some helpful tips.

Agreed. Sounds pretty bad.......never seen that before.

A fresh OS is your best route. If you have a second bootable drive, you could boot to it, and try run the latest Combo updater on your current system, but that would be second choice for sure. Copying OS chunks since OS 10 is pretty involved, and tuff to do manually (and have it work).

Better to save all your data and wipe that drive and start over. If you do, I would suggest you zero out the drive with Disk Utility to really test it......drives that lose things and start acting funning are often on last legs. Hard to know if you have a munched OS from a software glitch, or a drive starting to fail that munched your OS.

One of the easiest ways to move your user settings, apps, and data with 10.4 is to use the Migration Assistant via TDM if you have a second internal drive or a FW drive.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default ......still haven' decided yet

i think i'm going to use Migration assistant, what do u mean TDM

because i have installed the system on the external HD i will tranfer everything there, reformat the internal HD, and transfer everything back..how does it sound? using migration assistant

this mean that i don't have to reinstall all of the applications

TDM = Target Disk Mode, which you need to run the Migration assistant.

What I would try, assuming I wanted to keep users, apps, etc.:

1. Boot to your Install disk, and install new clean OS on your external drive.
    2. Use Migration Assistant to move what you want: Apps, users, prefss, setttings during the the setup wizard - before you create any new users.
    3. Boot to and update your OS and any apps on the external drive. Run it a while (days/weeks) and make sure it is setup the way you want, and solid.
    4. Load Carbon Copy cloner or Super Duper.
    5. Erase the internal drive, and clone the external drive over using an above tool.
    6. Boot to and run the internal drive for a good long while (weeks) and keep the external as a backup.
    7. At some point as you update and tweak the internal, erase the external and clone your internal over to it periodically as a full backup OS plus all your data.
    8. Enjoy.

Pretty painless, and nothing to lose but a little time. If after using the MA, if anything is weird or not right, you should really consider reinstalling the offending app, and if that still does not fix the issue, then starting over with a clean OS install, and reinstalling everything manually. I have had very good luck with MA, but some folks report problems here and there, so move forward with eyes open.

yeah..good advice!! thanks.........

but why not use Migration assistant to go backfrom the external to the internal

MI does not move the whole OS, just migrates the unique user data. You can do it, but you would have to reinstall a base OS and then move the user data with MI. Cloning the complete drive is more simple, and good practice. Always good to have a clone of your OS to test, boot, troubleshoot from.

As an example, before many of us run an update, we clone our entire OS. That way, if an update does some damage, just erase the drive, and reload the clone from just before the update. Easiest way to have a do-over.

...hey i'm still here!!

migration assistant was good! did the job

but after a while some strange behavior ...so i erased everything and reinstalled everything from scratch!!