Thread: superdrive outside G3 imac

Default superdrive outside G3 imac

I refuse to buy another computer until mine really breaks down. My slotdrive went adios amigos, now instead of replacing that one with a new slotdrive, I was thinking of getting a 3.5" superdrive, an extension IDE cable, an extension power cable en have the cables come out of the slot mouth.
    Its not pretty but thats ok really
    Will my Imac boot from my potential new superdrive I know my computer is too old to allow booting from external firewire whatsoever ?

Thanks,

Im really psyched that I came up with this.

Well, I don't know. It would be pretty simple, except that on the slot load imacs there is only one ATA/EIDE bus, and the HD and optical drive are set up as Master and Slave.

Not a big deal, except on the slot loaders the OEM CD/DVD drive has no power plug......which means Apple must run power down the ATA cable? Which may mean that the ATA bus might not be standard? I have wondered about this. The HD is normal enough, and have swapped many of them. As it is on the same bus, I would think that means the bus is standard....but then how is the optical drive powered then? Can't say.

You can always try it if you have a drive to spare.

The other option for external is Fire Wire. Unless your imac doesn't have FW ports, that would be a much easier route.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes firewire is the obvious other route. Even the first route that crossed my mind for obvious reasons. Still, dont feeling like pummeling out the cash for a firewire case. External firewire solutions are expensive.

anyone?

PLUS that I want to be able to boot from the optical drive.
    Thanks a lot uncle thats awesome and to the point answering

reallly appreciate it!

FW drives are bootable. Well, if the drive itself is bootable, it will be in a FW case.

You could round up a bootable DVD burner for about 30 bucks, and put it in a case for about 50 bucks or less.

The other problem with ruuning external is you need a molex power lead/plug coming out of the Mac too, or else you need an external PSU, which is a pain. If you don't mind that, you can get a FW bridgeboard and run the thing naked.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

so it appears that shouting G3-firewire is not bootable at all is false alarm. Im happy for that. In fact I got a firewirecase second hand for 10euros (cheap bekos the inside fan broke)

You have any idea which ATA supderdrives are bootable and which are not or how to look for that?

The slot loaders are all bootable via FW. The tray loaders may not be......but it so long ago I don't remember for sure.

Pretty sure all of the Pioneer drives like the ones I linked to all the way back to about the 105 models are. Current ones are Dual Layer DVD burners: model 111.

There are oodles of others that will boot Macs, but there is no easy way to tell which are bootable, and which are not. There is a live searchable database of drives over at xlr8yourmac.com.

I am using a Pioneer A 103 still.