Thread: Get a DP533 or a Quicksilver 800 single

Default Get a DP533 or a Quicksilver 800 single

I'm looking to get another Mac and wonder if I should go for a Dual 533 or a single Quicksilver 800? I'd go for one of the G4 Mini Macs but installing anything into them looks like a real chore that I'm not prepared to take.

Default The DP533 is the better machine..

BUT given the same $$ I would buy an MDD (since its the $400 range?)..

Either way, dont sell the Intel Mini short, the Intel is the future and PPC's will slowly be turned off .

I would NEVER buy a PPC Mini, at this point... they are too limited for today's software.

EDIT: I still have these for sale (an MDD and a DA)

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showt...5644#post95644

but not sure I can arrange shipping until after the New Year.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Aren't those MMD Macs loud tho? The G4 DP 533 with a gig of Ram and a DVDCDRW is going for $200($25 shipping) so it's what I'm most serious about. At present I'm running a B&W with a Sonnet G3 and 1 gig of Ram.
    Will take a look at the MMD's and see what's out there.
    Thanks,
    MJK

Default MDD's were loud

They can be easily silenced..

However, at $200 you wont find an MDD, and thats a good price point too. DP533 is a heck of a machine for $200, I say go for it!
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

For that price, you are pretty safe, assuming it works as advertised.

----

The Minis are not that hard to crack, just different from your typical tower. All you need is a putty knife. Limited to what you can upgrade. The biggest show stopper is if you need either/or:

Really fast internal/RAIDed storage
    3D video for modern gaming

I would, however wait to buy a Mini til they get bumped to a C2 CPU...which might happen at MacWorld in mid Jan.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well I got the Dual 533 today and after switching the hard-drives out from the B&W to the G4 things are working great! I did have a small issue with the keyboard, I used a Griffin Technology: iMate so I could still use my old ADB keyboard and I couldn't type in single user mode. A quick trip to their web site for a driver update fixed that tho. They say it isn't compatible with Tiger but it did the job.
    The difference between this G4 and the B&W I was running is amazing. When I get some more extra money I guess I'll upgrade to 1.6 dual Giga I guess. Now I need to sell my ATI PCI 9200 so I can get an ATI 9200 AGP card. Then I should be good to go. Thanks again for all the input.

I don't think ATI made a retail Mac 9200 AGP.

You have a few more options with 4X AGP of the DA, but at this point the only new retail card available is the 9800. They are expensive, juice-sucking case heaters, but they do perform well.

The only other options are used OEM/older retail cards or flashing.

"I don't think ATI made a retail Mac 9200 AGP"
    You are correct, the one I'm thinking of is a flashed windows card.

Thumbs up

I have a flashed AGP 9200 in my Cube, and it has been a good all around card.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Cool beans UncleMac. Does it support Quartz extreme natively? I had to use the AGP Hack to get it to work with the stock 32 meg nVIDIA card.

Nope. About the only thing it is missing. As I recall it is simply not supported by Apple, as opposed to lacking in capability.

I did some 3D gaming with it some time back and it was pretty good overall, considering its specs.