Thread: Mac G4 DA shuts down on target disk mode try

Red face Mac G4 DA shuts down on target disk mode try

Target Disk mode mac shutdown startup

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays. I recently purchased a new Mac and I wanted to take advantage of the System Migration feature in Mac OS X Tiger. So I tried to enter target disk mode via the T startup key and via the Startup Disk control panel. Both ways, my Mac shutdown about ten to fifteen seconds after restart; I never got to the bouncing Firewire symbol. I am attempting to enter target disk mode using a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio using the built-in firewire ports and to my knowledge no Open Firmware password has been set or at least according to the Open Firmware Utility I tried. I have a Sonnet Trio card as well as an additional USB 2 card installed and a Giga Dual 1.8 GHz upgrade is also present. Everything works perfectly but I was wondering if anyone has heard of this problem and maybe a way to solve it. Any information would be appreciated and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, I did a search and did not come up with anything. Thanks again!
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes...or should I??

I've never had a problem booting into TDM on a native FW Mac. I just hold down the T key on boot until I see the bouncing FW sign. I always boot into TDM before connecting the cable.

Maybe someone else here has seen this or can offer some sugestions.

Have you tried any other functions to see if there is an OF password......like an OF reset?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Red face Thanks for the reply...

Hello and thank you for the replies. Well, no I have not tried an OF reset. The last time I fiddled with the OF was whne I updated it to accomodate the Giga Duel 1.8 upgrade. Also, like I said, the Open Firmware password utiltiy does not register that an OF password is set. Could this be incorrect. If so, how again may i test to see if a password is actually preventing the target disk mode from functioning. Again, thank you for any information you can offer
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes...or should I??

Lightbulb Aha...

Just looked at your machine details. TDM only works off the native bus. Do you have a drive still on the original ATA bus or only on the Trio?

You could still get there. If you have a spare ATA HD, you could plug it in and clone your drive over to it. Then TDM should pick it up OK. If you still had problems, you could temporarily remove the Trio.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Arrow

Might as well review the details of TDM.

Default Interesting points...

Thanks again for the input Uncle. Yes, although I have been trying to use target disk mode using the built-in firewire port, the startup disk which I am trying to mount is running off the ATA133 interface of the Trio, not the native ATA interface of the Mac. I will plug the Startup drive into the latter interface and remove the Trio for the time being. Maybe that will effect some positive result. Anyway, I will updtate everyone once I have attempted the above. Thanks again!!

In my testing of the Trio in my Gigabit the stock ATA was slightly faster so you may be better off booting from that bus anyway. I am.

Smile

Hello again everyone. I successfully entered target disk mode after moving the startup drive from the Trio bus to the built in Mac ATA bus. All worked well and I was able to transfer all my stuff to the new machine. Thanks again for all the help.