Thread: powerbook battery burnout

Exclamation powerbook battery burnout

hi there,

I would just like to say thanks for all previous replies to my infinite list of mac problems.

This week, it seems that the battery on my powerbook has just totally given up. I know that these things happen, but it just seems kind of strange....

The battery has been in use on the computer for about 3 years now, and has always sported good life- at least two and a half hours after being fully charged, however, all of a sudden, last week, the little sucker can't keep charge for longer than 5 minutes. Ive checked the serial number, and it doesnt appear to be one of the recalled models that apple are currently exchanging.

I don't expect the battery to last forever, but I am a bit suprised at it just happening so quickly. I was wondering whether the problem could have anything to do with firmware, or whether reinstalling 10.4 would do the trick? Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,

j

I've read that discharging the batttery fully, then doing a PMU reset, and recharging it fully can sometimes bring 'em back to life. I did that with my Pismo when I got it nearly a year ago, and it's been fine since. Don't know if it's the original battery though.

cheers for the info, but what is a PMU, and how do you reset it? This powerbook still has its original battery.

thanks

j

Look here.

Another good link here.

M Brane,
    how was the pismo battery acting before you did the reset. Mine last maybe 30 min after full charge. The wall street I used the battery reset program running in OS9 that helped I can get over 2 hour with it now. AN if I run the battery down amd the system goes to sleep and will not wake on battery do I plug it in just long enough to shut it down then reset??
    Bob

My Pismo's battery wasn't too bad. I'd get about 1.5 out of it before the reset. Now it goes for 2-3 depending on how hard I'm workin' it.

I ran mine down 'till I got the low battery warning, then shut it down. You could plug it in just long enough to shut down. It takes a while to charge all the way with the Mac running.

Well ran it down to 6% did the reset and them charged for about 12hrs it showed 99% but lasted no longer that before. So I guess that means the cells are truely low. I tried the terminal command and got a strange response that I could not make alot of sense out of It seam to spit back the repely four times and each was different. Will try it again.

Later Bob

Yeah these things are getting a bit long-in-the-tooth. There are new batteries available, and I even saw a site where a guy disassembled the battery casing, and installed new cells. There's a project for ya'.

Default new project??

I saw that site and info on changing out a pack. I be up for it but have not found an extra battery pack to sacrific. New project, Got a dead G4 Titanium 500mhz coming. Sounds like a PMU board. The computer has run perfectly since new until a month ago acted flaky for a week then nothing. no chime no beep no indication of power. the battery and ac adapters work fine checked with another G4. you have a manual for the G4 mercury I will clear my email
    Thanks Bob

FWIW, my old G3 700 ibook had so-so battery life when I got it, would go to sleep at about 35 min remaining. Knew it had been mostly plugged in by the guy I stole.......uh, previous owner, so I started fully cycling it by using it until it went to sleep. Seems to have helped quite a bit, charges last longer, and it ticks down to under 10 min before shutting down, sometimes all the way down to under 5 min.

Probably was about 10 full charge/discharge cycles before it started to make a difference.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I think I try that on the pismo. Now that you mention it I have heard that for most rechargable batteries that they need to be drained before and not just charged after use.

I have read that "exercising" rechargeables, especially the newer lithium ions and such, helps keep them working well and can revive them to some extent. Takes some patience to find out if it works.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well have cycled the battery about 5 times so far, today it managed to play a 66 min CD at full volume and still had about 33% left on the battery. Have no idea if that is good or bad but doubt it would have done that before . The other day I tried a video DVD and it lasted about 20 minutes.
    will keep trying and see how we do. Now I at 23% and the level has turned red. the last time I watched it until it went to sleep it lasted 20min after it hi zero an the warning came at 25%. no warning yet
    Later Bob