Thread: Can't verify moved users volume (???)

Default Can't verify moved users volume (???)

I've been going through the checklist of what to do before upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.4.x, and among them was verifying/checking the hard drives out with either Disk Utility, Disk Warrior (3.0.2), or Tech Tool Pro (4.1.2).

Even tho' I know some folks here don't like it, I would 'normally' boot up with my TTP 'edrive' and check everything that way. Now, for some reason, edrive won't boot. Tells me to insert the TTP (4.0.3) CD and boot from that, and recreate the edrive from the disk.

I hold down the C key..... computer hangs for a LONG time (longer than normal), I reboot again, and the computer completely ignores the CD, and boots up from my regular hard drive (with me still holding the C key down)

I try rebooting using my bootable Disk Warrior CD, same thing.

I thought holding down the C key to reboot from a CD was (virtually) foolproof?

In the meantime, I can use Disk Warrior on all my volumes EXCEPT the one that I've moved the users to.

What's going on here? Obviously, I can order the new TTP 4.5.2 update on DVD from those folks. I tried once, a long time ago, to update DW 3.0.2 to 3.0.3, but it didn't work, and can obviously purchase that upgrade from those folks.....

I tried using Disk Utility, but since the users volume can't be unmounted, it won't verify it.

but that still leaves me with a users volume I can't seem to verify and/or make repairs on if I need to?

I'm actually thinking of rebooting into OS9 and running Disk Warrior that way....

What do other folks who've moved their users volume do? I'm most curious.

Also, with CD/DVD drive, the only thing I can think of is I have it attached to the ATA-4 bus instead of the ATA-3..... but that shouldn't make any difference, should it?

I feel stumped by this......

Boyd 9

Lightbulb

Verifying /User home directory drive will not unmount. always have to boot from an emergency boot drive. Or you could change Netinfo for just this once. Most errors are the boot drive and almost never to user data. Possible but rare.

Upgrade to TTP 4.1.2 for PPC and 4.5.2 for MacIntel.

DW is *suppose* to be (hold your breath?( on the verge of MacIntel compatible version - any day now.

I never used eDrive. Create an emergency boot drive with normal home directory. Clone it. Backup to disk image. It sounds like you created the eDrive AFTER you had made changes to the Netinfo DB is all. Just change it back.

If you use Applejack regularly as a first resort, you should not have to resort to those other utilities.

Default I Love Applejack....

Thanks TZ

Yes, Applejack is my first choice among utilities...... I run it regularly, and just think it's a great little program.

I was just having one of those experiences last night where I kept thinking 'why is this happening' and 'why is that happening' and it seemed real confusing at the time (maybe I was just too tired).

Just trying to be safe rather than sorry, that's all.....

I do maintenance fairly regularly and back up all the time, so I'll trust Applejack that I'm good to go, and will proceed with my checklist for upgrading to 10.4 then. I'm already starting to get messages that 'my browser is out of date' on some websites.

Boyd 9

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I know no one wants to hear this but I haven't needed one of those utilities (Norton, DW, TT) for a LONG time. I tried DW when my IBM Deathstar drive was dying in my Digital Audio Mac, it failed(not DW's fault). I have not used one of them for general maintenance since Norton 4 destroyed all my data right after HFS+ was released (circa OS 8.1). For OS X I repair permissions regularly, verify drives occasionally, run the chron jobs sometimes and if it's really hosed I would reinstall the OS. However since switching to OS X I have never had to do that.

Moving your optical drive may indeed keep the C key bootup from working but if you hold the option key you should get a list of bootable volumes to choose from, your optical should show up there no matter where it's located.
    Damien,

Default Knew there was a trick

Thanks Damien

I knew there was a trick (option key) but couldn't remember it. I'll try it next time around......

Actually, I find your short maintenance list and software that you haven't needed strangely reassuring..... I'm glad to hear of it

Default Option key trick worked....

Thanks again Damien

The option key trick worked. Got the DW CD to boot up properly, and it did find a couple of minor things wrong with the moved users disk. Directory has now been rebuilt and I'm ready to get on with upgrading to 10.4.x

I like your, shall I say, more Zen-like approach to system maintenance..... maybe I worry too much about the little things.....

Again, many thanks!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Glad to hear your running again...
    Damien,

Lightbulb

I just ran into a problem with a volume with an "underlying task" and dozens of INODE errors, and 10.4.8 is able to fix it.

10.4.0 never should have shipped - but had to. And why Apple created 10.4.3 DVDs (because what do you do when 10.4.0 kills network connections??).

Reminds me of the 10.3.0 killing off FireWire drives on restart "bug."

Then, 10.4.4 made some improvements and changes, and Apple put 10.4.6 on DVD - so people could have a reliable disk to install and repair their system with?

After messing with my test volume and repairing it, TechTool Pro 4.5.2 was satisfied that the directory and files were fine and intact.

Hum.... the Zen of Maintenance?

Default 'Zen of maintenance' indeed

Got the wife's new (actually refurbbed) Intel MacBkPro up and running.... migration feature worked a charm...... but, BOY, you wanna talk about frustration afterwards..... I had no less than 20 installs to do after running software update..... after 3 kernel panics in a row, decided to do ALL of those installs one at a time....

After I did the two firmware updates, then did the (300MB!) System combo update.... after that was updated, no problems and smooth sailing.

I must've downloaded at least a gig of software updates..... and the last one, applejack..... thank god for applejack!!!

Wife is happy camper now....but when apple sez these things are carefully refurbished, they make it sound like they're gone over with a fine tooth comb.....would it have killed them to update the bleeding software?

The owners manuals in French was also a nice touch... one hour on the phone to get english language manuals for the beloved ball and chain.... thanks apple!

I guess it's still all worth it, tho' (i.e., saving money on refurb vs new)

One last question before I update my own system to 10.4.8..... With my users folder on another volume, if I do a clean install of 10.4.x on a new HD using the 10.4.x migration feature, shouldn't I leave the box UN-checked where it asks if I want to move my users folder? Afterall, I'm happy with where the users folder is right now..... if I check everything else (Network and Other Settings; Applications Folder; Files and Folders), it should work out ok, right?

Right?

Thanks again.....