Thread: Mercury project

Default Mercury project

Looks like I have a dead Powerbook G4 500 mhz headed my way. this one is going to cost me a bit but the airport card, 30GB HD and memory will all fit the pismo so the cost is not lost if I can not get it going. The computer has worked perfectly since new up until the last month, it started to act a bit flakly then nothing, no chime ,beed or hum. no indication of power. the batterys and ac adapters check out fine, powered another G4 just fine.
    My intial thought is the PMU board went south or the logic board as gone. Anybody have any other thoughts or trouble shooting ideas. Any one with a service source manual they can email.
    Thanks Bob

Default PB G4 guide

I have one of those service manuals if you want the PB G4 guide. Let me know.I could also send you the Pismo guide for your other project as well stewiesno1@hotmail.com

Thanks Stewie there is an email on the way.
    I picked up the G4 today. it is dead, and a PMU reset did nothing.
    Good news is that its loaded with ram two 512 chips. I looking for some power pin outs to help decide if it is the PMU.

Anyone have any thought on the pros and cons between the G4 Mercury at 500mhz and the G3 pismo at 400mhz I could just load the pismo with the 1GB ram and the airport and not even repair the G4. I leaning to fix the G4
    Bob

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

How dead?

if you press the power button do you get anything at all? Does the button light up but the mac does nothing? Sometimes that can be an easy fix.
    Damien,

Default absolutely nothing

No lights, no noise no hum, the only lights I can get are the 4 little lcds on the battery when you push the little battery button. The battery was charge in another G4 with the power adapter and both worked just fine. putting the charged battery back into the problem G4 resulted in no change in function.
    Any thoughts
    Bob

Default Update to mercury

this reply is being written on the Mercury. the new PMU did the trick. Only difficulty I had was the while removing the dvd drive. There is a thin mylar dust cover that I damaged as I removed the heavy tape that holds the drive and a ribbon cable in place. I was able to reuse the tape and it covers most of the drive area.
    Anyone had any experience with this?
    I have not checked if the dust cover is something that can be purchased and is often replaced. They say to work the tape from the corners but they fail to mention why. Well the dust cover has a large cut out that is under the tape and if you pull from one direction the tape pulls up the cover on the opposite side. Pulling the tape is very difficult to start and it would be easy to tear the dust cover while trying to get under the tape.
    I was fortunate that upon reinstalling the Drive I had no alignment issues and disks load and eject smoothly but a bit slow.
    Compared to the pismo there are far less screws and pieces, there is little but tape, clips and supports that keep every thing together. the hard drive is supported by 4 bushings the optical drive has similar busing but only to are fitted into the frame the other two rest on supports and are not held in place until the bottom case is installed. not bad but you have to flip the computer for another step before you go back to putting on the bottom.
    If I came across the problem again, I would first reseat the ribbon connectors, should have tried this but did not.
    I have installed and updated tiger. now working to get files and applications from several other computers, all FW. What is the easiest way to get Mail files and addresses transfered. Not sure which library or folder they are stored.
    Thats about it for now
    Bob