Thread: fastest firewire cd-rom?

Default fastest firewire cd-rom?

i am putting together a system to input/rip all of my audio cds to a laptop with an external firewire drive. it's a g3 bronze, with a western digital firewire pc card in it. i have an external firewire drive in one port of the WD card and want to put a CD-ROM on the other port of the card, so i can just pop in cd's whenever and have it rip them to my itunes library. what is the fastest, most reliable drive to do the job? it does not even need to be a burner, although i doubt one can even get a cd drive that does not also burn anymore (at least a new one).

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

well there is no actual firewire optical drive they are ATA opticals on a firewire bridge. So you are looking for an ATA cd drive that is fast. Kenwood TrueX drives are supposed to be very fast as are Plextor drives. Plextor is the best there is on opticals for quality. Last I saw there were 54x and 72x (read) drives.

Firewire 400 or 800? Firewire itself is far faster than the drive will be so your only possible issue is if the firewire bridge has a speed limit.

Also the drives are ATA as I said and depending on which flavor of ATA they have could limit your speed as could what flavor of ATA the firewire bridge uses.

The bridges (400) I have will run a hard drive acceptably fast so I assume they are at least ATA 66. I would suspect the 800 bridges to be ATA 100 or better.

Check the drive you are looking at and see what ATA spec it supports.
    Damien,

Thanks for that info. I have had good results from Plextor in the past. I am pretty certain the Western Digital PC card I have is a 400 Firewire, since it is an older card. In my looking around I have seen 54x read speds but not the 72X but I will keep looking

I have at least two of the Kenwood 52X True-X CD-ROM drives. And one of the 72X version in various old Macs and a Burly 2-bay case. Good old 1999 article here http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/ and Intech did come out with an update to make the drives Mac compatible and bootable in both versions I have. Not tried either of those Macs in a long time so I don't know if they still work in OSX. I did try the 52X in a very early version of OSX and it worked then. Kenwood no longer sells them and haven't for a long time. They certainly are very fast. k

I just read this review:
    http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...od72x/index7.x

He does some tests which relate directly to DAE work and the Kenwood 72X TrueX appears to perform miserably in terms of quality of extraction. I wonder if anyone has any real world input on this particular application of the speed/quality combo for the express purpose of DAE? Has the Kenwood firmware been updated since this guys review, rendering those commnets obsolete? Has a new drive (CD-ROM, Combo, or otherwise) been released which might be a better match for this use?

Thanks for eveyones comments thus far. I will likely use one of the Firewire 400 Burley enclosures available through MacGurus to mount the drive externally... and so I also wonder if the drive will also need special drivers to work under Mac OSX 10.2.8 (which is what is running on the host I will connect it to.