Thread: Bad Ram?

Default Bad Ram?

i bought som sdram pc100 168pin 512MB i popped it into my 500mhz imac and get nothing just a beep , which im guessing means no ram found. i have installed ram before and it was cake. does my mobo not support that much ram or is the ram bad?

i had 2X 128 pc100 sdram before

thanks

It should take up to 2-512MB. Must be PC100 SDRAM (3.3 V, 64-bit, 168-pin, 100 MHz). If it's not that, it may not work. It may not be seated completely. I'd check that first, while you are at it get the information off your RAM and post it too.

Someone else may have a better responce.

That's about it. PC133 ususally works just fine too. If you get any beeps instead of a boot tone, the RAM failed a test (including being, wrong, bad, or missing), and that's that. You can reseat it, try the other slot...and that's all.

Regardless of the condition or spec of the RAM, your machine does not like it. No way around that except to replace it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Also always do a PMU reset when you have RAM that doesn't show up correctly. A PMU reset will force the computer to rebuild all the device stacks on the next startup. This gets rid of any corruption or incorrect stacks.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Good point Rick. Never had any luck with this when I have got a beep before, but sure worth trying. A PMU reset is kind of a pain on an imac, as it is hard to see and get at the PMU button.

First turn it over and open the RAM door. If you are standing behind the machine, so the monitor is facing away from you, and you look in the slot (good light or a flash light will help) about 2 inches to the right and slightly above the two RAM slots you will see the PMU button. It is a small round button about an 1/8" of an inch across on top a of little silver box that is about 1/4" square.

You are gonna want to follow the PMU reset instructions. Could not find any for the G3 imacs, but here is one that is pretty clear for G5 xserves. Of course the picture is way off (except the PMU button which looks the same), but the step by step process is the same.

Here is a pic from an emac, which is similar in that you reach into the RAM door opening. They show the pencil using the pointy end.....I use the eraser end so it doesn't slip around. Press once - firmly. You can feel the button click down very slightly.

Read all the way through the steps before you start so you can do it right the first time. Not hard, just specific.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin