Thread: Cooling tips/advice, need ideas

Default Cooling tips/advice, need ideas. Cabinet construction.

Have a PM G4 with Giga dual 1.7, 2 internal 7200rpm drives and 4 external eSATA drives in Burly case. Seritek controlled.
    I am getting ready to finish out the wifes desk area, currently just a desktop with the PM sitting on the floor. I am going to build cabinets to house everything underneath. So the enclosure for the PM and the Burly will have three sides and a door on the front. (just like a kitchen cabinet). My concerns are the temps getting too high in this enclosure (also with the dual processor and HD, I am concerned about temps right now with it in the open) I need some ideas as to how to keep things cooled down. After upgrading the PM and getting the external disks.....budget is important, so I think liquid cooling is out for now.
    Here is one idea I have come up with. Build the cabinet just like a base cabinet in the kitchen, with door on front. Behind this wall of her desk area is dead space below our stairs and a mechanical room. So in the back of the cabinet, place a couple of fans exhausting the heating air into the mechanical room. Also in the PM itself, install a PCI fan and 5.25" bay fan (where the zip drive resides) to help keep air moving in the cabinet space.
    THe other idea I have is to construct some sort of ductwork going from the PM and Burly fans and ducting it directly out of the cabinet (to the side and place a decorative grill over it or something)
    Any other ideas? Keep in mind, I can construct the cabinets any way necessary...can orientate the PM and Burly case any way needed as well. The only restriction is it has to fit under a desktop (and that height can be varied as well) Comments on how effective PCI slot fans and drive bay fans are? Any particular brand better? Thanks for the input.
    Elrod
    Last edited by jejenkins; 11-16-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Default Which G4 Tower

Most people often just replace stock fans to the cubic feet/per minute. Or get lager, faster ones, keep an eye out for noise. Many people have used a "dimmer switch" in line to keep both the cooling and noise at a optimum. I think most people just beef up Apples cooling technology (bigger, stronger fans) rather than create a "new" cooling plan.

An AGP Sawtooth
    A GigaBitE
    A DA Digital Audio
    A QS - Quicksilver
    or other?

We have several cooling threads here but if I knew which Tower... I'd be more help.

Sorry. Sawtooth tower. Do you think the idea of putting a 110v power fan in the wall to exhaust the cabinet would be a good idea to keep the cabinet area cooler? OR, the classic debate........should I put a fan in the wall and blow air INTO the cabinet. If the above doesn't explain well enough, basically wanting to flush mount a fan in the wall at the back of the cabinet I am building (imagine putting a fan in the back of a kitchen cabinet). Having the fan either blow cabinet exhaust into the mechanical room or blow cool air from the mechanical room into the cabinet.
    Thanks Elrod

Talking

Homework time!

Having replaced my DA with a GIGA 1.8 dual and ALL fans, I would suggest that what fans (OEM) your using are worn-out.
    I installed larger(cfm) ones that can be manually controlled........ I like this idea.

There are different ways to acieve this, but NOT one certain way.

There are many threads on cooling and you'll find many that will heip!

Nodoubt, don't run or put aload on it with-out some extra cooling ........ you will fry it!

I probably spent twenty times more time reading about cooling than the actual deed.

Then again .... I'm pretty slow and only wanted to mess with it once!

READ, READ and then .........READ more!

Good luck!

It would be cool (ha!) to add a flex hose like a dryer duct right to the main heat outlet at the PSU that would let the heated air all the way out of the cabinet.....but I don't think it would be practical. Too much hose that would likely kink or at least add too much resistance once the G4 was pushed back in the cabinet.

The easiest fix is likely: a big opening toward the top in the back of the cabinet. Or maybe two smaller holes: a lower hole to let cool air in, and an upper hole to exhaust, maybe even with a fan on it?

I come from the camp of: exhaust where and what you want, cool air will find its way in, as long as neither the cabinet nor the G4 case is too tight. A bit of of pain, but a couple holes in the bottom of the G4 case will let the coolest air in the cabinet in. Might not be cosmetically acceptable, but holes or slats or louvers on the front of the cabinet door with exhaust holes or fans at the back would aid in getting a good airflow going (front -> back) so that the G4 does not ingest warm air.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I installed a Giga Dual 1.6 in my DA, w/ 2 SATA drives and 1 ATA drive. I downloaded "Temperature Monitor" and checked my Temps. Only one drive supports the software but it gives me a pretty good idea of the internal temps.

I tried my own modifications but it didn't work well. Not wanting to spend much money, I went out and bought a PCI slot fan. I tossed the package so I can't remember the brand, but it was the only one compusa had. It keeps the temps pretty cool, DA has been running all of today and it reads 37C/98.6F. I guess that's not too bad (any input on these temps?)

My DA sits on a shelf below my shelf/desk. The fan does put out some heat, I can feel it as I sit, especially in the summer. If your unit is in an enclose area it would get too warm.

Vent the cabinet, with a small fan, put it a PCI slot fan and I'd bet you be fine. Nice thing is, your computer will be behind a door keeping out the noise. Slot fans do make some noise.

I'm a Man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Currently with the PSU sitting on the floor under the desk (actually not "on" the floor, elevated with a stand) my HD temps are reading 31-32C.....which I think is pretty good, right? So my current setup does well (which is stock and one PCI slot fan, but it only reduced the temp by 1degree C) I was just looking for ideas to more or less keep the cabinet space well ventilated and cool which in turn will let the PSU continue doing it's thing. Also keeping in mind the 4 drive burly case will be in the cabinet as well, so that will add some heat.
    As of right now.....I think I am going to place a 110V fan in the wall at the back of the cabinet blowing into the mechanical room behind the wall. My hope is the door to the cabinet (not being air tight) will allow enough cooler air to pass through the cabinet. All this is probably going to be constructed after Christmas.....but trying to lay out plans ahead. If the door doesn't provide enough inflow.....then I will place a couple of holes in the cabinet towards the front and use some kind of decorative grill to make asthetically pleasing. If any ideas pop up.....let me know, otherwise I'll keep you all posted on the progress and results.
    Thanks for the tips/insight.
    Elrod

31 - 32 C thats great. Something is cooling/moving air.