Thread: Seritek 1VE4 PCI-X, G5: eSATA RAID does not mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Seritek 1VE4 PCI-X, G5: eSATA RAID does not mount

I have a Seritek 1VE4 installed in Slot 4 of my Dual 2.5 G5. After installation, according to system profiler, the card shows up.

I also have a Stardom (the OEM of the Wiebetech SilverSata II RAID) external RAID drive that uses eSATA. When I connect the drive (no matter what order the machines are turned on, I have tried them all), a warning message says that a drive is connect to Channel X (i.e. 0, 2 etc.). However, the drive data does not show up on the message as the manual would indicate. Also, the RAID does not mount on the desktop, nor does it show up in Disk Utility.

Meanwhile, if I connect the RAID via its available USB2 port, it does show up. I'd appreciate any help. Could the card or cable be bad? Should I exchange the card for a different brand?

The internal drives of the RAID are WD Caviar SE 250MB.

Thanks for your help

Lightbulb

"The chipset of the SilverSATA II is compatible with every USB 2.0 port on a Macintosh or a PC that I have tried without requiring the installation of a driver. However, SATA connections with the SilverSATA II enclosure do not work with host adapters that utilize the Intel 31244 PCI-X to Serial ATA controller chip. A SilverSATA II compatibility list of several Macintosh SATA host adapters is provided below."

The FirmTek 1eVE4, 1VE4, 1V4 and 1VE2+2 will not mount hard drives mounted in the SilverSATA II enclosure.

AMUG review

I would recommend getting a replacement case.
    http://www.macgurus.com/productpages...apsatakits.php

Any card except a 4 port Seritek should work with that enclosure. Must be a RAID box to have compatibility issues, the drives themselves have no bearing on the compatibility of the host card in hardware RAID enclosures.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks!

Thanks all for your help. I will try the Sonnet card instead as I have sunk money into the enclosure and it's good for what I am trying to accomplish.

- William