Thread: Unexpectedly upgrading to SATA (maybe)

Default Unexpectedly upgrading to SATA (maybe)

I'm moving on up from a B&W G3 to a G4 DA. My ATA133 card is staying in the B&W so I starting looking for a new one for the G4. I noticed that I can get a SATA WD WD2500KS for the same price as a WD 250 GB ATA drive. (I had up to this point figured that SATA is for much newer Macs than mine)

I have three quick (I think) questions:

I have seen posts in the forum about avoiding drives with Spread Spectrum Clocking, but I have also seen other Mac users using this drive. Is this drive OK since you can turn SSC off with a jumper?

The manual warns that using this drive on non-windows systems could result in data loss. Is this WD just avoiding the costs of testing and supporting Macs?

In the G4 will I have room to mount the drive and get the SATA cable connected? It looks like it might stick out a bit more than the ATA cable.

[bonus question] Any suggestions on a SATA card for my Mac? I'm going to be doing some more RTFM so if this is covered to death, I'll just find my answer in past forum posts.

Thanks.

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by jnaz
    I'm moving on up from a B&W G3 to a G4 DA. My ATA133 card is staying in the B&W so I starting looking for a new one for the G4. I noticed that I can get a SATA WD WD2500KS for the same price as a WD 250 GB ATA drive. (I had up to this point figured that SATA is for much newer Macs than mine)

I have three quick (I think) questions:

I have seen posts in the forum about avoiding drives with Spread Spectrum Clocking, but I have also seen other Mac users using this drive. Is this drive OK since you can turn SSC off with a jumper?
    The SSC is an issue with the Intel GD31244 SATA processor (it's in SeriTek/1Vxxxx series of SATA cards) or certain G5 models. Generally, WDC drives are pretty compatible.

The manual warns that using this drive on non-windows systems could result in data loss. Is this WD just avoiding the costs of testing and supporting Macs?
    If they write such things - yes. WDC drives are known to be relatvely issue-free.

In the G4 will I have room to mount the drive and get the SATA cable connected? It looks like it might stick out a bit more than the ATA cable.
    Yes, there are cables with 90 degree and 180 degree angle. At the time you order the card please specify, you are going to use it in the G4 Digital Audio.

[bonus question] Any suggestions on a SATA card for my Mac? I'm going to be doing some more RTFM so if this is covered to death, I'll just find my answer in past forum posts.
    Since you won't have issue with SSC being on or off, the SeriTek/1V4 is one of the least expensive cars with full 64 bit PCI support. It is currently also one of the fastest in the G4. (Warning: since I wrote the firmware for the SeriTek/1V4 I am biased).